Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice on using Delta status match to book economy comfort seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

I'm currently American Platinum through February. I'm planning a honeymoon to Tanzania in late 2015 which will require me to fly on Delta and KLM. If I status match now to Delta Gold will I be able to get discounted economy comfort on both the Delta and KLM flights? I do not plan on qualifying for Delta status through the challenge. If I don't qualify after the 90 days, would they be able to pull those economy comfort seats I booked in during the challenge period later? Thanks for any advice anybody can provide
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
You would probably retain them on Delta, I'm not sure you can et them on KLM. However if there is any kind of change in equipment or even a refreshening of equipment, which sometimes happens, then you would most likely lose them.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

I would question whether it is worth potentially giving up future ability to do a status match to save a two hundred dollars.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
If I understand correctly the recent changes to the GM status level - there is now no discount for EC seating - just the ability to select free EC seats (if available) 72 hours prior to departure (for both domestic and international).
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyerBrit
If I understand correctly the recent changes to the GM status level - there is now no discount for EC seating - just the ability to select free EC seats (if available) 72 hours prior to departure (for both domestic and international).
That is correct. So the status match would not give the OP any advantage for EC/C+ if the challenge is not met and expires before s/he takes the flights.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. My understanding of the new rules for economy comfort is that they don't take effect until March 1, 2015. Is that correct? This is why I wonder if I can use the status match before then to book the seats. As far as using my one status match prematurely, I don't plan on flying Delta a significant enough amount in the future for status to be that worthwhile. Additionally, I'm losing my American Platinum status on March 1st and am not a frequent enough flyer to be assured of getting it back in the future.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do not have access to partner benefits during the 90 qualifying period. This applies to lounge access and I would assume EC discounts on partners as well.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Cysurvivor
Thanks for the replies. My understanding of the new rules for economy comfort is that they don't take effect until March 1, 2015. Is that correct? This is why I wonder if I can use the status match before then to book the seats. As far as using my one status match prematurely, I don't plan on flying Delta a significant enough amount in the future for status to be that worthwhile. Additionally, I'm losing my American Platinum status on March 1st and am not a frequent enough flyer to be assured of getting it back in the future.
The chance your EC seats will stick and it will not be noticed that you're not entitled to the seats for free given that the GM benefit is going away and you will no longer have the status, is almost zero. Don't waste your time or effort.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by LBJ
You do not have access to partner benefits during the 90 qualifying period. This applies to lounge access and I would assume EC discounts on partners as well.
This too.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Ledfish
You would probably retain them on Delta, I'm not sure you can et them on KLM. However if there is any kind of change in equipment or even a refreshening of equipment, which sometimes happens, then you would most likely lose them.
I'm not sure about a Discount I get the EC free on KLM as a PM but I have to call it wont let me select it for free on their website so it wouldn't hurt for you to ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.