Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL not sharing gate info until a few hours before departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL not sharing gate info until a few hours before departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The Connections board when you leave the aircraft seems to show you the gate no matter how far away departure is, even when the app won't. Also, the generic airport boards (like those underground by the people mover in ATL) will show you the gate info.

It is annoying to have to hunt and find this information. If I have a long layover, I'll likely want to visit a restaurant or lounge near my departure gate. Not telling me where that is only annoys me.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by N639DL
I did search before posting this, I apologize if this has been on here before.

What I've noticed recently is that DL no longer has gate info out the day before departure. On the reservation I could see the gate assignment 3 days out, however it always changed. Those were the same gates as flight XXX on the day that you're viewing it. (In other words if you were on 1234 on Monday, if 1234 departed from A14 on Saturday it would show as A12 for your flight on Monday).

Now DL doesn't publish the gate until 3 hours or so before departure. I'm willing to bet it is just to decrease confusion for passengers and to prevent constant updates about gate changes, especially if it's at ATL or another hub. That still doesn't guarantee that there won't be changes later on.

What I don't understand however is why smaller stations don't have the info up anyway. For example, PBI has 5 gates and today has 22 departures and 22 arrivals. From my knowledge and experience PBI has at the absolute most 2 or 3 planes on the ground at a time so it's not like controlling gates is an issue at PBI.

Another example: Today there is an ATL-BOS flight scheduled to arrive at 3:32pm at BOS, and is on-time. The same MD-88 turns back to ATL at 4:15pm. The plane departs ATL at 12:59pm. The gate info for ATL-BOS is up with the plane arriving at A20 at BOS. However for the BOS-ATL flight it does not have any gate info up yet despite the fact that the arrival is already in place and there isn't any other MD-88 going out of BOS in that time. So I don't really see a reason why DL doesn't have the 4:15p BOS-ATL flight with A20 as a departure gate yet.

Per FlightStats.com as of 11:55am at BOS, flights including a 2:07pm departure have a departure gate listed, only exception is a 1:30p flight to ATL doesn't have a gate on there yet.

Just wondering why DL doesn't publish gate info publically for flights anymore until it's about 3 hours before departure.
I have gotten Gate Information 24-48 hours before on both Delta App and Fly Smart app. However, the number of times it changes the morning of is amazing. I had several 60 minutes prior to boarding changes. I am paranoid and always check once at the airport and if early check again to avoid last minute dashes.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
This is a bit of an issue at LAX as flights might leave from T5 or T6. It's not that far a walk but it is still irritating. I don't care about the gate, just the terminal and I am sure in most cases they know that.

It is humorous when the Delta App says "Terminal 5 Gate 69A" -- but not so funny to somebody who might not know that Gate 69 is T6

The consolation prize of schlepping over to T6 is you get to use the AS Board Room.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can also check flight status on delta.dumb for several days before your flight. In many but not all cases, this is unlikely to change from day to day (except, for example, if a different aircraft type is used on Saturday).
But then again is the ATL point... I used to look at gates 3 days out when it was available on my reservation and when going through ATL I knew those gates were nowhere near final.

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I used to do gate planning at a hub and later at a line station. The hub job was quite fun and challenging...there's always something happening to ruin best laid plans (unplanned maintenance (MX) delay, pilot stuck in traffic, broken jetway, puchback breaks down, catering is late, etc. etc. etc.). We even had issues where MX would move planes at night...i.e. they needed to run-up engines on a plane so they'd take it out to wherever, and then bring it back. Occasionally they'd put it on a different gate (because it was closer to their shop, or they needed more space to work on something or bring out a crane). So we used to have them drive around in the early AM and make a list of what plane was at each gate just to make sure .

Even at a line station these issues exist. Contrary to what some may believe, most line stations are not staffed 24 hours. So the night crew sets everything up the best that they can, but when the morning crew gets in, some times there are routing changes (i.e. Airplane 1234 is now going to MSP instead of DTW) due to operational (usually maintenance) needs. If the previous day had a lot of IROPS, then there may be crew rest delays that force gate changes. And of course there's always the chance of an unplanned maintenance event that keeps a flight on a gate too long (or has to return to a gate) and requires changing the whole gate plan. This time of year you can also throw in deicing which can be challenging as well.

Point is: there's no damage in waiting to D:-3 to post gates. But there are issues when you do the opposite as others have mentioned.
Awesome to hear from someone who used to do that. I see myself being a station manager but may go into gate scheduling if it seems like a good idea somewhere down the road.

I think at ATL and other major hubs it is fine to keep gate info held from flight status until 3 hours or so until departure (those will still probably get changed) but smaller stations and even moderate sized ones such as BOS that is mostly O/D anyway should be able to have more ability to announce gate info earlier.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Ours is populated for all day tommorrow on Flightview. If delta wants to hold it on the FlyDL app, let them
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
I wonder if that man behind the curtain - Yeah! That man uses his almighty
power to control which gate will be used on any given day based on the
computerized loads of the connections that flight will generate.

I.E. flight 1234 arrives at the Atlanta fortress gate A19 on the A Concourse
(middle of the A Concourse if you know ATL)
and has connections to MCO 20 - DFW 12 - MSY 9 - MIA 8 - RDU 7 - CLT 1
So the planning is to have those heavy connections at adjacent gates on the
A Concourse and those like CLT in the example put maybe out on the end
of the B Concourse.
Ideally the least movement of the major bulk of the connecting traffic is
contained on the A and the minor stuff relegated somewhere else.
Now take all the potential traffic that could arrive with their loads and mix
this into the equation. The gates in the center of the A Concourse will get
a great deal of use and handle the bulk of the traffic - other gates further
away not so much.
*** Then the glitch - the mechanical - the late arrival due to wx - and all
of a sudden the grand scheme is tilting towards chaos and creating the
domino effect that will last to the end of the day.

So what has all got to do with Gate Assignment.
Well the loads vary day by day and do not always remain the same thus
to keep the grand scheme of concentrating the bulk of the traffic in an
easy to manage way the arrival and departure gates have to be flexible.
*** You sort of knew that all along didn't you ?
So the gates used yesterday may not be the same today or tomorrow -
but at the beginning of the day at a origin station the gates can be
generally be consistent. Then again a glitch can occur like the early
morning maintenance taking longer than planned resulting in forcing a
change of the 2nd bank of flights using that gate.
Excedrin headache number 1 for the gate controller.
Reassembling the gate picture with the least disruptions.
For the savvy frequent flyer all knowing of airport structure and the
fastest best way to go from Gate A to Gate B the gate adjustment picture
can be cleared away in a hurry. But for the one time passenger going to
Peoria - well what's a person to do - I am lost in a sea of gates !
Ideally at an origin station the flights with the highest number of passengers
should be at the first available gate with minimum distance and disruption.
But loads and traffic change daily - weekly - seasonally - the gates can not
always be the same in that event. But one would expect that the flight with
next highest load to be somewhere near where the number 1 flight yesterday
was. Not all airports are the same and not all gates can accommodate all
types of aircraft from the 747 777 down to the CRJ 7/9 but there should be
some consistency in gate use at the start of the day.

This leading back to that man behind the curtain - why wouldn't Delta want
publish the gate game plan for the next day - albeit with a notation that
gates and times can change ? Pull the curtain aside and let the traveling
public see and plan for the big picture to expedite their traveling experience !

Or is it simply a matter of Delta randomly throwing darts at the last moment
to determine which gates are used by which flights with no regard to how
the customers can help smooth the operation ?

The only way now to predict the gate usage is to monitor a week or so in
advance checking on each day the previous usage and within a couple hours
time frame for today. Tomorrows use is still hidden behind that curtain.
Come on Delta pull the curtain !
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by N639DL
Like I said before I absolutely understand the point about ATL.

Just having it up earlier when the gate is likely to not change can be helpful. At a really small station such as ALB where there are 8 departures and arrivals per day using 2 gates, no harm in having it up early since it's such a small station.
"Just having it up earlier when the gate is likely to not change can be helpful. At a really small station such as ALB where there are 8 departures and arrivals per day using 2 gates, no harm in having it up early since it's such a small station."

LOL...in what way?? If it ain't at one gate it's at the other!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLERT

I.E. flight 1234 arrives at the Atlanta fortress gate A19 on the A Concourse
(middle of the A Concourse if you know ATL)
and has connections to MCO 20 - DFW 12 - MSY 9 - MIA 8 - RDU 7 - CLT 1
So the planning is to have those heavy connections at adjacent gates on the
A Concourse and those like CLT in the example put maybe out on the end
of the B Concourse.
Ideally the least movement of the major bulk of the connecting traffic is
contained on the A and the minor stuff relegated somewhere else.
Now take all the potential traffic that could arrive with their loads and mix
this into the equation. The gates in the center of the A Concourse will get
a great deal of use and handle the bulk of the traffic - other gates further
away not so much.
*** Then the glitch - the mechanical - the late arrival due to wx - and all
of a sudden the grand scheme is tilting towards chaos and creating the
domino effect that will last to the end of the day.

So what has all got to do with Gate Assignment.
Well the loads vary day by day and do not always remain the same thus
to keep the grand scheme of concentrating the bulk of the traffic in an
easy to manage way the arrival and departure gates have to be flexible.
*** You sort of knew that all along didn't you ?
So the gates used yesterday may not be the same today or tomorrow -
but at the beginning of the day at a origin station the gates can be
generally be consistent. Then again a glitch can occur like the early
morning maintenance taking longer than planned resulting in forcing a
change of the 2nd bank of flights using that gate.
Excedrin headache number 1 for the gate controller.
Reassembling the gate picture with the least disruptions.
For the savvy frequent flyer all knowing of airport structure and the
fastest best way to go from Gate A to Gate B the gate adjustment picture
can be cleared away in a hurry. But for the one time passenger going to
Peoria - well what's a person to do - I am lost in a sea of gates !
Ideally at an origin station the flights with the highest number of passengers
should be at the first available gate with minimum distance and disruption.
But loads and traffic change daily - weekly - seasonally - the gates can not
always be the same in that event. But one would expect that the flight with
next highest load to be somewhere near where the number 1 flight yesterday
was. Not all airports are the same and not all gates can accommodate all
types of aircraft from the 747 777 down to the CRJ 7/9 but there should be
some consistency in gate use at the start of the day.

This leading back to that man behind the curtain - why wouldn't Delta want
publish the gate game plan for the next day - albeit with a notation that
gates and times can change ? Pull the curtain aside and let the traveling
public see and plan for the big picture to expedite their traveling experience !

Or is it simply a matter of Delta randomly throwing darts at the last moment
to determine which gates are used by which flights with no regard to how
the customers can help smooth the operation ?

The only way now to predict the gate usage is to monitor a week or so in
advance checking on each day the previous usage and within a couple hours
time frame for today. Tomorrows use is still hidden behind that curtain.
Come on Delta pull the curtain !
What is DL's objective function here? Why should they care to minimize walking by connecting passengers? If you were to say that DL should try to keep gates close together for flights where passengers have tight connections or even for flights where passengers have requested wheelchair assistance, I could perhaps see that being an appropriate consideration but OTOH <just joking> to minimize fuel costs, DL should give us very long walks or runs between connections, especially for FFers, so that we'll lose weight.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
computerized loads of the connections that flight will generate. <snip>
I was told recently that at ATL there's an attempt to keep similar aircraft on the same concourse to allow for quicker shifting of crews...but reality often gets in the way and gate changes happen. I know enough men (and women) behind the curtain to know that despite the best-laid plans, it's a new adventure every day, even for the almighty.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At some airports, certain business and elite heavy flights tend to be given closer or otherwise more attractive gates.

It's also somewhat historical in that many DCA flights exMSP have been continuing to use the same "low C" gate where the holding pen was built post 9/11 long after the DCA flights ceased to require special handling of passengers. Similarly, the ORD flights continued to often use the gates around F8 long after FastTrack (semishuttle) service was discontinued.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:16 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... but OTOH <just joking> to minimize fuel costs, DL should give us very long walks or runs between connections, especially for FFers, so that we'll lose weight...
I think they are taking your suggestion into account. JFK T4 was designed to maintain a travel/health balance
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
That's very low on the priority list. Since there's still some discussion, I'll elaborate a little more on what goes into a good gate plan. Long read alert...

Descending order of priority. I've been "retired" from this for over a decade so I might miss something.

• Aircraft Type - Not every type of aircraft can go to every gate. That's probably the top priority. If you try to schedule a CRJ at a wide-body gate, you'll have issues
  • Customs - If it's an Int'l arrival, it has to connect to a gate that is connected to the FIS. If one isn't available, it will either have to wait til one is, or at some hubs they can bus pax.
  • Contracts with other carriers - We had a contract with two other carriers whose ground handling we did. Their contract stipulated a certain gate (because that's where all their airline specific stuff was).
  • ACAA issues - If you know you have an aisle chair coming in on an RJ, you want to make sure that plane gets a gate that has a jetway (as opposed to ramp deplaining, where applicable)
  • DMI/MEL items (Deferred Maintenance Items/Minimum Equipment List). For instance, if a plane has a INOP APU, you can't put them at a gate where the GPU is INOP, or there isn't a GPU. I made this mistake my first day doing a gate plan and the pilot let me have it over the radio. To be fair, it hadn't been reported as bring INOP, but alas, I always made sure to check after that.
  • Ramp Manpower planning. At the hub I worked at, one ramp crew worked two adjoining gates. We had to allow a minimum of 15 minutes between those two departures to allow the crew to push one flight, then close up the other and push it. If we gave <15 (which operational necessity sometimes dictated) then if a delay occurred, it was coded to operations and not the ramp.
  • Connecting crews - Crews understandably hate to switch airplanes in the middle of their trip. However, sometimes the airplane needs to end up in a different city than the crew for scheduled MX or other routing reasons. We try to make this as easy as possible for crews by keeping their next airplane close to the one they're getting off of. Obviously, as you can see above, this isn't always possible with all the other things going on.
  • RON Parking - Remain OverNight airplanes. We did have a standard morning departure gate plan. I.e. LGA always went out of gate one, ORD gate 2, etc. So at night, you try to have the arrivals in the right gates to do this. As I mentioned in my last post, rarely does it work perfectly.

One thing you may think is missing from my list is pax connections. Typically that's of no concern to a gate planner. It really isn't even relevant if a flight is on-time.

Departures take priority. If you put a late arrival at a gate closer to some of its connections, you've now just caused a gate change for two flights...the one you parked at another gate, and whatever flight used to be parking there. Doesn't sound like much, but you've just caused two delays which means those flights will likely come back late and now you've got an even bigger mess. Not to mention that pax, bags, catering, fuel, cleaners, crew have to be moved between two gates (this takes a lot of time and coordination). I can't think of a scenario where you would ever do that just for connections. It would be more prudent to delay the outbound departure a few minutes if there are large group of connecting pax and no protection on later flights. But alas, these decisions are not made by gate planner, they're generally dictated by System Operations Control (another group I worked in later in life).

Last edited by HDQDD; Dec 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm Reason: Spelling -5pts
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Often1
Large organizations need standardized systems. If gate assignments aren't effectively public until T-3 at ATL and SLC, it's not helpful to post them earlier for smaller stations.

As more efficient use of limited gates becomes more prevalent, gate changes are more rather than less likely with the passage of time.

As others note, it causes more confusion than it helps.
I'm curious as to how many people can find gate info in the DL app between T-3 and T-2, especially for ATL.

I don't believe that it is typically there.

This can be helpful info when you are still at the originating airport, connecting thru ATL, and a 45 minute delay has consumed most of your 60 minute connection time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.