Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I don't understand hub captivity...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
It's not just connections. From many hubs, there are just more flights. For smaller markets, being captive is even worse since one airline typically has a number of flights (to different destinations) while others may only have a very few to just one destination.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by curl
Being able to fly practically anywhere in North America non-stop! Having to connect to all but a handful of cities would be so painful.
Makes you wonder how we get through the days, doesn't it.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I dont like connecting, thats the only reason. I do not mind doing it TATL or TPAC but I will do all I can to avoid doing it domestically.

With that said generally when I buy tickets for work or leisure the DL non stop price is generally a little lower, or the same, as the 1+ stop flights. Not always true, but 95+% are for me.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the nonstop flights are a little bit lower, maybe by $5-10, then you're probably seeing the same fare but an additional government fee associated with the connection.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by italdesign
Actually, I thought "most people" look for the cheapest fare, hence why the ULCCs are so successful.
It's a little of both. Most people I know who are not biz travelers shop price alone, regardless of stops (they usually then complain about layovers).

But I also know a handful of people who refuse any connections at all costs (and then complain about ticket prices). Sadly, one or two of these folks are so adamant, that they will never visit any destination that does not have a direct flight from ATL. Period.

But to pile on the earlier comments, being in ATL I highly value the number and frequency of nonstop flights DL offers. For drastic price differences I may consider OAL with connections, especially for leisure travel, but usually its a self fulfilling prophecy: DL is the best price/time option for the vast majority of my travel, which builds status, which then becomes the tiebreaker when DL is tied or very close to OAL in price/time options for future flights.

And it's not just flights at times I need. It's how many other flights exist that day to use as IRROPA backups or SDC options. I'm paying for that flexibility.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG
Originally Posted by pbarnette
It depends how much you value your time. If you don't, connect away. If you do, then living in a hub means you don't have to waste your time.
I live by two airports, San Francisco and San Jose. SFO is a hub for United (and a West Coast shuttle city for DL). San Jose is the closest and it's a smaller airport so I can get from house to gate in under 40 mins. SFO is a hub for United but it's a large pain to get to. The drive alone will take 40 mins on a good day, over an hour to 2 on a bad day.

I take connections because I rather deal with an airport that is easy to get to without leaving out hours before my flight.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ecspike
I live by two airports, San Francisco and San Jose. SFO is a hub for United (and a West Coast shuttle city for DL). San Jose is the closest and it's a smaller airport so I can get from house to gate in under 40 mins. SFO is a hub for United but it's a large pain to get to. The drive alone will take 40 mins on a good day, over an hour to 2 on a bad day.

I take connections because I rather deal with an airport that is easy to get to without leaving out hours before my flight.
in your case I would do the same in a heartbeat ... particularly when cascading weather delays at SFO can just further aggravate the situation
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Is there anyone else in CLT that don't feel captive to US/AA and use Delta as their primary airline?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by jacobac00
It doesn't really matter exMSP on DL. I have the luxury of knowing about half of my travel for next year, right now. So I searched some of the trips and the likely dates I'll be going. DL charges a higher cost on days ending in "y". The example provided is a near guarantee on some routes. The number of routes where DL is above $1000, where all others are sub $500 is comical. Even three months out in the middle of February.
I see this as well from NY, depending on the route.

But if DL continues to do well with their PRASM (or whatever one wants to call it), maybe DL revenue management is a bit smarter than the other airlines? Or, the other airlines start low and go high towards departure, and DL does the opposite? I've no idea, and I don't like paying more to fly on DL, but if DL is often higher (and their air revenues aren't being negatively impacted), they must be doing something right in regards to revenue management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.