Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta WestJet Announcement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM; Hertz 5 Star; Hilton Gold; Kayak hater.
Delta WestJet Announcement

Just got the West Jet announcement from Delta and I have some questions.

Since I travel approximately 10 times a year to Canada how is the West Jet service?

The title is "Earn Miles" but on the partner page on Delta.com it still says "NO" for MQM's. Anyone in the know if this will change?

This might be a dumb question but DL status is ignored on West Jet still?

TIA.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; May 18, 2015 at 12:27 pm Reason: I clarified the post
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

STARTING JANUARY 1ST, EARN MILES THROUGHOUT CANADA WITH DELTA AND WESTJET.

Celebrate choices. Our expanded partnership with WestJet Airlines means more options — and new mileage earning opportunities — for you. Enjoy a larger network throughout Canada, North America and beyond. Check out what you can expect from our high-flying team:

RACK UP MILES
Earn miles with the SkyMiles program on WestJet flights.

UNFOLD THE MAP
Jet nonstop from the States to more destinations in Canada, including Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, and enjoy convenient connections throughout Canada and beyond.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Here's the earnings chart.

No MQM.

125% bonus for Y and K class. There are some fare classes not listed that will thus receive 0% so buyer beware

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...s/westjet.html

DL Status is not recognised on WestJet.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

This is a bummer. Air Canada is a great product (with the exception of the headphone removal prior to takeoff and landing.....?) and I am really growing tired of the regional carriers service into Canada. Although I think I will start flying the Compass routes when I can. The addition of the larger regional aircraft was a nice change of pace.

If they can get a tighter alliance with West Jet I would surely switch for my Canada trips.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by LorynDM
This is a bummer. Air Canada is a great product (with the exception of the headphone removal prior to takeoff and landing.....?) and I am really growing tired of the regional carriers service into Canada. Although I think I will start flying the Compass routes when I can. The addition of the larger regional aircraft was a nice change of pace.

If they can get a tighter alliance with West Jet I would surely switch for my Canada trips.
I consider AC to be one of the worst run airlines in the world. I was Supereilte and quickly pulled all travel down to zero. I am thrilled with this new relationship.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Just got the West Jet announce from Delta and I have some questions.

Since I travel approximately 10 times a year to Canada how is the West Jet service?

TIA.
I've flown WS once, from YYC to YYZ (about a 3-hour flight). I enjoyed the flight, the FA's were polite, attentive, and came around twice with the snack cart as I recall.

Although one flight is not a representative sample, I would fly them again.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Here's the earnings chart.

No MQM.

125% bonus for Y and K class. There are some fare classes not listed that will thus receive 0% so buyer beware

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...s/westjet.html

DL Status is not recognised on WestJet.

Also read the last sentence of the fine print:

WestJet marketed flights that are ticketed by Delta (ticket number begins with "006") are not eligible for Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs).

(emphasis in the original)
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat,
can i now use my delta skymiles to redeem westjet flight?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
This might be a dumb question but DL status is ignored on West Jet still?
Yes, but for now the ground crews on palm tree flights wave goodbye, so you have that going for you.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Delta WestJet Announce

Why no MQM? They should have it. They had right to earned the MQM.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by N830MH
Why no MQM? They should have it. They had right to earned the MQM.
So if I buy a YYZ a to LAS a flight on the DL website with the flight operated by WS, and ticketed 006, do I get MQM for it?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
So if I buy a YYZ a to LAS a flight on the DL website with the flight operated by WS, and ticketed 006, do I get MQM for it?
Yes. I do this about once a month (YYC-LAS). If its an 006 ticket with the DL flight number then it does earn MQS and MQD. Check in at WS, find an aisle seat, grab your headphones and off you go. The MQD portion seem to be changing with the announcement though starting 01 January.

From time to time I fly the same flight and purchase the ticket from WS (our corporate travel agent does not show the DL coded flight). When I check in I have my choice of adding my WS FF# or my AA FF#. If I add my AA number I get the AA equiv of RDM but not MQM (I am not sure of their terminology). However it looks like i might be able to now earn the RDM from DL instead.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by ross123
Yes. I do this about once a month (YYC-LAS). If its an 006 ticket with the DL flight number then it does earn MQS and MQD. Check in at WS, find an aisle seat, grab your headphones and off you go. The MQD portion seem to be changing with the announcement though starting 01 January.

From time to time I fly the same flight and purchase the ticket from WS (our corporate travel agent does not show the DL coded flight). When I check in I have my choice of adding my WS FF# or my AA FF#. If I add my AA number I get the AA equiv of RDM but not MQM (I am not sure of their terminology). However it looks like i might be able to now earn the RDM from DL instead.
Great, thanks Ross, I wa dreading having to go on the ACT Rouge flight, I will go ahead and book the direct WS flight.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ross123

Do they still treat you as a non-status flyer? Stopped using WestJet a year ago because of that. Couldn't check in online, no precheck at LGA, and last to board is no fun at all.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Willower
Do they still treat you as a non-status flyer? Stopped using WestJet a year ago because of that. Couldn't check in online, no precheck at LGA, and last to board is no fun at all.
WS is changing to a status system now where the status members board earlier. Prior to that it was pre-board, exit rows, plus (first three rows) then zones (and even zones are recent, before that it was all aboard). I don't see any advantage as a DM. If you check in at T-24 then you can often get the exit row.

They are slowly becoming like the other airlines in regards to fees/services (introducing bag fees, then plus section, then zone boarding, then a 3-tier system based directly on spend). All of these within the last 8 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.