Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help with choosing a Biz Class seat when flying as a couple

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with choosing a Biz Class seat when flying as a couple

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Question Help with choosing a Biz Class seat when flying as a couple

My wife and I will be flying biz class of Delta from Atl to Jnb with Delta's reverse herringbone configuration of 1-2-1. We are trying to figure out what others experience or recommendation for seats would be if we wanted to talk during the flight. Is it better with the 2 center seats and talk over the divider or is it easier having one window seat and the other center seat and just talk across the aisle. Want to be courteous to other travelers as this will be a very long flight:
Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:59 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
2 center seats.

LOVE Delta's 777 BE!!!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
The 777 is probably the worst set up for couples traveling together (or the best... depending on the couple haha). If you are across the aisle you will be somewhat facing each other but you'll be fairly far apart making conversation awkward and probably bothersome to those around you. If you're seated next to each other in the middle section you should be able to chat, but you'll have to sort of turn a bit to face each other. In the middle you'd also have to walk completely around to get to the other person, but I don't think you'd really need to do that.

I'd recommend taking two next to each other in the middle section. It's not going to be practical to interact across the aisle.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
The 2 center seats are the better choice for a couple flying together. We've tried it both ways (on an AB 330-300) and the problem with a window/aisle combo is that you are kind of facing away from each other.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
For the 772, I would recommend either 2 consecutive seats (e.g., 6A and 7A) or two seats across from each other (e.g., 7A and 6B). It is pretty hard to interact through the middle barrier separating the B and C seats.

Originally Posted by jalves
The 2 center seats are the better choice for a couple flying together. We've tried it both ways (on an AB 330-300) and the problem with a window/aisle combo is that you are kind of facing away from each other.
The seat orientation is different for this aircraft. The 772 has herringbone seating whereas the A332/333 and 744 have reverse herringbone seating.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lamont2718
For the 772, I would recommend either 2 consecutive seats (e.g., 6A and 7A) or two seats across from each other (e.g., 7A and 6B). It is pretty hard to interact through the middle barrier separating the B and C seats.

The seat orientation is different for this aircraft. The 772 has herringbone seating whereas the A332/333 and 744 have reverse herringbone seating.
I'm confused. OP says reverse herringbone but also says the flight is ATL-JNB which IIRC is the 777, not the 747.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Poster

It is the 777. I was told it was the reverse herringbone. Is that not correct and if so what is the actual name for the 1 -2 -1 seating on that flight
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My wife and I have decided that there is no great seat selection for us to do a lot of talking on this layout
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
7A and 6B are the two best seats on the airplane. You will not be able to chat while seated but at least you are on the same aisle! The middle seats suck for a couple.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
There are no good seats for couples. We have tried it in every possible combination, and found the centers work best. We are a couple that chats and holds hands. Nothing works, but at least we are close to each other when we take the middle seats. These seats are great for business, but suck for happy couples.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Middle section is the only way to go. Not too bad for conversation.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:19 am

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
My husband and I have sat in 2 center seats ( we like row 5 ) on the ATL-JNB flight several times .
It really was no problem for us to chat over the divider.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jackson66
It is the 777. I was told it was the reverse herringbone. Is that not correct and if so what is the actual name for the 1 -2 -1 seating on that flight
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My wife and I have decided that there is no great seat selection for us to do a lot of talking on this layout
I get confused by the terms herringbone and reverse herringbone.

The 747 and A330 have seats either facing toward the window or, in the center section, toward each other at angles.

The 777 has seats facing away from windows and away from each other in the center section, again at angles.

The 767s have staggered forward facing seats alternating with table consoles.

For the 777, you might want to consider the smaller second BE cabin. There's a nice huge handicapped lav in the front left, around seat 10D.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by Jackson66
No, the DL 777 has herringbone seating.

Herringbone refers to a layout in which the seats are angled to face the aisle (e.g., VS J, AC 772/3 J, CX 747 J).

Reverse herringbone refers to a layout in which the seats are angled to face away from the aisle (e.g., DL A332/3 J, DL 744 J, AA 773 J, AA A321 F, CX 773 J, CX A333 J, QR A380 J).
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I would take 6B and C. Mrs. TrojanTraveler and I were able to talk, and I found it much easier then leaning forward and over across the aisle. Plus these seats each have a closet next to them, giving them a bit more privacy.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:54 pm

I must say that the title of this thread with the use of the singular "seat" suggested something other than what the OP intended!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.