Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Unintended consequences of 'Basic Economy'...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unintended consequences of 'Basic Economy'...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
They could take the last 3 rows or so and call that open seating / WN style and let the E- - pax fight it out.
That is actually an excellent suggestion. When a flight is going to offer E fares - basic economy - whatever you want to call it - blank off the amount of seats you want to/are prepared to sell at the back of the plane - problem solved. ^
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Clearly Delta is going to have to find a way for families to sit together that buy basic economy. Just as another poster said you cant have some toddler in a middle seat (or any seat) next to 2 strangers while the parents are scattered around the plane. Not gonna work 100% of the time.

This is a no go for everyone involved...

(Maybe a solution is to make Basic fares only available for customers 12 years old and older, thus eliminating the seat swapping mess on every flight so toddlers can sit with parents)

Last edited by Winkdaddy; Dec 10, 2014 at 8:23 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes because families travelling with small children board before Medallions. Possesion is 9/10ths of the law.
Not if they properly enforce their boarding rules: only parents with children travelling in car seats may pre-board. All other families with children must board with their assigned boarding zone.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Clearly Delta is going to have to find a way for families to sit together that buy basic economy. Just as another poster said you cant have some toddler in a middle seat (or any seat) next to 2 strangers while the parents are scattered around the plane. Not gonna work 100% of the time.

This is a no go for everyone involved...

(Maybe a solution is to make Basic fares only available for customers 12 years old and older, thus eliminating the seat swapping mess on every flight so toddlers can sit with parents)
The entire theory behind E fares is to compete with the ULCC's. That is largely families with kids flying to a leisure destination. Cut the kids out and the E fare becomes useless and that family flies somebody else.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The entire theory behind E fares is to compete with the ULCC's. That is largely families with kids flying to a leisure destination. Cut the kids out and the E fare becomes useless and that family flies somebody else.
Ok...still doesn't solve the "toddler sitting next to stranger--what do we do" issue
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
But as another unintended consequence, some employers are forcing Basic Economy fares for business travel when they're available.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But as another unintended consequence, some employers are forcing Basic Economy fares for business travel when they're available.

Middle seats are a dealbreaker for me. <shudder>
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thats the really crappy part... some shortsighted travel policies just go for cheapest without caring about the side effects such as no refunds or changes at all.

I can certainly see this causing more grief for GAs when a family of 3+ shows up without assigned seats, or seats spread out with children isolated (essentially becoming a UM) and a full plane. Has the potential to be a mess with pax not wanting to give up their seat and get relocated to someplace worse to allow a family to all sit together.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
I was thinking of the same myself. But then Delta doesn't think.
Yes they do. They can't be that stupid and ignorant of this situation. They just don't care.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Ok...still doesn't solve the "toddler sitting next to stranger--what do we do" issue
Simple answer. No, I'm not swapping seats.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by gator21
Simple answer. No, I'm not swapping seats.
Enjoy the toddlers sitting next to you.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:14 am

Have some delicious Bailey's little timmy....
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not swapping seats with someone who was too cheap to buy anything other than an E fare ticket.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I can't believe you all say you will never, ever swap seats. Have a heart.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I can't believe you all say you will never, ever swap seats. Have a heart.
If people want to pick or change their seats, they should not buy E fares. This is clearly disclosed on delta.dumb before purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.