Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"$4-5K" to go. FO status hangs in the balance.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I don't travel anymore

Glad it's Christmas time. $4-5K to go on SkyMiles Platinum to get MQD waiver and MQM bonus to push me over to FO status. Although I guess with having the SkyMiles Platinum card, FO isn't worth much anyway.

Kind of interested if anyone has been in this situation before (at any status level). What kind of stuff did you buy to get over the limit? I've been thinking of stocking my pantry up, etc.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some prepay their taxes, but putting taxes on a credit card generally carries a large service fee.

Purchase plane tickets in advance, and get double RDMs too for the purchase?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Booze … buy some booze ...

MSPeconomist … thanks for mentioning property taxes, mine are due this week. :-(
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In evaluating the situation, remember that meeting the $25,000 spend on a DL Plat AmEx card will get more than 10,000 rollover MQMs for the OP. That can be worth a lot next year, but the OP will again need to worry about the MQD waiver.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:21 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some prepay their taxes, but putting taxes on a credit card generally carries a large service fee.
Not true for federal taxes; It's only 1.87%.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

It should be said that I've only had this card since August. I will have no problem meeting the $25K next year. So it's literally a race to get in this year.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Amex gift cards
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
Not true for federal taxes; It's only 1.87%.
It is all relative. To some, seemingly like yourself it may not be much, to others, it might be considerable.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:09 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Buy gift certificates or pay your taxes. You could buy Amazon gift certificates and easily resell
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sounds like i need to change my exemptions around so i can owe the IRS $1K (not to go over as to avoid penalty) instead of the $1K refund
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL GM
Seems to me that you probably don't fly DL much if you need Amex MQM boost and MQD waiver to reach FO. Are you sure that the annual $195 fee + $25K spend on the card is worth what you're getting out of the status?

I only mention it because for me it wouldn't be worth it. I'd spend $95 annual fee for the DL Gold Amex and be content to enjoy Zone 1 boarding and 1st bag checked free.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by WWGuy
Seems to me that you probably don't fly DL much if you need Amex MQM boost and MQD waiver to reach FO. Are you sure that the annual $195 fee + $25K spend on the card is worth what you're getting out of the status?

I only mention it because for me it wouldn't be worth it. I'd spend $95 annual fee for the DL Gold Amex and be content to enjoy Zone 1 boarding and 1st bag checked free.
It depends on the OP's travel patterns. If he's flying LAX-ATL, then I agree.
If he's flying hub to midwest-flyover-country or lots of RJ-with-F flights, then silver is worth hundreds of dollars in first class comfort.

Same thing with the Gold Delta Amex card. If you check bags, then it's great. If not, that "zone 1 boarding" is a crock.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
It is all relative. To some, seemingly like yourself it may not be much, to others, it might be considerable.
We are talking about $100 to get the FO status plus 5K SMs.

If the OP is thinking of stretching for status, this seams to be a fairly cheap way.

OK, buying some DL tickets for known trips next year would be better (as they pay 2X miles on his card I think).

BTW, to CDKing. Yes, you should reduce your withholdings unless you feel very patriotic about giving tax interest loans to the US treasury. Seriously.

EDIT: SECflyer, if you mean the paying all tax liabilities might be expensive, you can pay a portion on the card and the rest in cash.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tristar76
Glad it's Christmas time. $4-5K to go on SkyMiles Platinum to get MQD waiver and MQM bonus to push me over to FO status. Although I guess with having the SkyMiles Platinum card, FO isn't worth much anyway.

Kind of interested if anyone has been in this situation before (at any status level). What kind of stuff did you buy to get over the limit? I've been thinking of stocking my pantry up, etc.
If you don't spend enough to make FO, why chase status at all?? Better be a kettle with a credit card and spend the money on FCM.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWGuy

I wrestled with this. The MQM bonus put me on to the Platinum card. I fly DL just enough to be near FO every year (with potential for more). With the Gold, I'd never have a chance. Living in the Midwest, I have a small chance at upgrades (has happened) with FO, even on RJ flights, which I expect to increase with the retirement of CRJ200s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.