Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honest "Throwaway" Situation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Honest "Throwaway" Situation

I'm currently Silver under Medallion Status Match. I had a round trip flight with the first half ending in Portland today, but the weather is awful and I'm a photographer so I added a new one way flight from Portland to San Diego last minute while on my flight to Portland. I am not going to be able to get back to Portland in time for the return segment, which of course now has me a little worried that they might void out the miles / segments from the first half of my trip since this appears like a throwaway. Hopefully the last minute booking pfof a new ticket through Delta to San Diego helps my case. Wasn't intentional.

Anyway I will of course give them a call tomorrow. Just curious if anyone had advice on the matter.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Can you SDC to a later flight? Or SDS?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Meh. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your original flight is significantly delayed or cancelled due to weather or other stuff, you can request a full refund. However, you're not supposed to get ORC if you receive a refund, although YMMV.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Travel Plans change due to many factors, sometimes intentionally due to a job requirement made by your boss or sometimes unintentionally due to weather or other factors.

You should be okay as it does not appear (on the face of it) that you are trying a throwaway ticketing.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:46 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
They don't care if you do it once or twice
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:32 pm

I wouldn't worry a second about it.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
With the huge increase in change fees, I'm sure this occurs more often than Delta will admit, probably too often to even bother with.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'll pile on to the don't worry about it train. Doesn't seem like a pattern and you've purchased another ticket which is solid evidence that your plans genuinely changed.

I wouldn't even call DL about it as a by-the-book agent will want to charge you change fees and possible fare difference to cancel. Consider it your gift to someone on the SB list that day.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by gooselee
Consider it your gift to someone on the SB list that day.
haha.. I've thought of it that way before. Even better is when my upg cleared in advance and I didn't take the flight. Someone else hopefully enjoyed my dinner in F back to LGA. ^
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
I've actually been told by the PM line to just plan on doing a throw away if it is more expensive to change my flight than just cancel the second half. Though, this was in a case where I was throwing away a PHX-SLC to do a TATL round trip.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I seriously doubt you'll have an issue, it's unlikely your fare required round-trip purchase anyway (most domestic fares do not). The one to be more leery of doing too much is hidden-city ticketing, for example I have on occasion booked MCI-DTW-MKE/IND and 'missed' my DTW-MKE/IND flight ... that is something I do not make a habit of (nor do I fly my return trip on Delta ...).
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:46 pm

I'd call them and cancel. You might have some small residual value AND you will open up the return seat so someone else can take it (assuming your status got you a decent seat).
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
No cancelling would most likely cost him more money

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.