Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyteam - TPA Int'l Routes??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Skyteam - TPA Int'l Routes??

I live in TPA and for over 7yrs, I have been Gold/Platinum w/ Delta. I fly at least 4 or 5 trips internationally every year and w/ the new announcement from Lufthansa to add a non-stop flight b/w FRA and TPA, I wonder why Skyteam is not adding a route to connect TPA to either CDG or AMS. Both Star Alliance and One World have direct flights to Europe (Lon, Zurich, and now FRA) from Tampa. The Skyteam lounge is always packed w/ passengers going internationally! If Skyteam does not add a route to Europe, life would be much easier if I switch to a star alliance airline.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: DL DM
My guess is that Atlanta is just too close to Tampa. No need for more international flights from an airport 400 miles away.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Why not? Seems to work for average airports in Europe. Got AMS, BRU, DUS at around 100 miles. CDG is around 200 miles, LHR 250 miles from me.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
These European airports are located in different countries. That fact has to be taken into account in addition to their proximity to one another.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by JPG3392
These European airports are located in different countries. That fact has to be taken into account in addition to their proximity to one another.
?? Why, we don't have to stop when driving to DUS, BRU whatever? Also pretty much the same currency. Lots and lots of people use them. Ever checked the parking lots at DUS on dutch license plates?
At NRN there are more foreign license plates then german ones at times.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zakovy
If Skyteam does not add a route to Europe, life would be much easier if I switch to a star alliance airline.
Go for it. Network coverage is among the best reasons to change carriers. If your travel is heavily weighted on TPA-FRA/ZRH you could save a lot of time. If you also routinely travel to MAD, FCO, CDG and a host of other cities, the availability of connections via Atlanta (and ~15 flights a day TPA-ATL) shouldn't be ignored.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I do connect to various places in Europe and ME beyond FRA/ZRH/CDG/AMS, so any of those stops would work for me. I am a big fan of Delta but the lack of direct international route out of TPA is going to force me to switch to Lufthansa. I am going to try to get a status match w/ Lufthansa in 2015 and start flying them out of TPA. Delta has ignored the int'l market in TPA even though the agents here tell me that we have one of the highest concentration of elite members in the nation.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Delta has ignored the int'l market in TPA even though the agents here tell me that we have one of the highest concentration of elite members in the nation.
Nonsense. Delta serves the TPA market quite well. I've been to countless countries across the globe via a one-stop in ATL, JFK, or DTW. Would I like a DL flight to CDG or AMS from TPA, sure. But, I cannot agree with you concerning DL ignoring the INT market in TPA. No way...
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

take it easy Denolloyd, I am not criticizing delta. I am a big fan too. I usually avoid going through ATL, and instead go through JFK - I am w/ you but if I have to make another stop in Europe, that's 2 and that's why having a direct flight to CDG or AMS would be ideal. Not to mention the impact that flight will have on local economy.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Delta has ignored the int'l market in TPA even though the agents here tell me that we have one of the highest concentration of elite members in the nation.
What is the correlation between number of Elites in a city and filling up large international sized planes? Frequently, when I look at seat maps for TATL flights, the EC and Preferred seats are WIDE OPEN, while the "cattle" portion of the plane is full.

Last edited by davetravels; Nov 22, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I do connect to various places in Europe and ME beyond FRA/ZRH/CDG/AMS, so any of those stops would work for me.
Would you be connecting to any of the ~25 trans-Atlantic destinations served by DL from ATL or JFK? If so, TPA-FRA-XXX may not be any better than TPA-ATL or JFK-XXX.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Grouchy
?? Why, we don't have to stop when driving to DUS, BRU whatever? Also pretty much the same currency. Lots and lots of people use them. Ever checked the parking lots at DUS on dutch license plates?
At NRN there are more foreign license plates then german ones at times.
Is KLM allowed to fly its planes from BRU or DUS nonstop to North America?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
In another thread they just said that DL will run a PHL - LHR flight. Why does that make more sense then TPA? TPA, FL in general, is a tourist destination and central to all the locations in FL. 60 min from the mouse, 30 min from gulf beaches. I think it would make more sense for the ST member to fly to TPA then necessarily DL to make those runs. But I agree with the OP, I myself have often wondering why not more Intl routes. The airport also regularly ranks as one of the best for service.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leisure destinations tend to be lower yield. I just don't see DL chasing that traffic and overflying several of their hubs (which have good service to TPA).
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Boltman519
In another thread they just said that DL will run a PHL - LHR flight. Why does that make more sense then TPA? TPA, FL in general, is a tourist destination and central to all the locations in FL. 60 min from the mouse, 30 min from gulf beaches. I think it would make more sense for the ST member to fly to TPA then necessarily DL to make those runs. But I agree with the OP, I myself have often wondering why not more Intl routes. The airport also regularly ranks as one of the best for service.
TPA/CDG is 4582 miles. PIT/CDG is 3910. If they can't fill up a widebody, I don't think a B752 can fly that far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.