Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond or Platinum for me?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Diamond or Platinum for me?

Hello everyone,

Not sure if I should get Diamond or roll over the miles for next year.

Here's my info:
1. 10k miles more to Diamond
2. Get 5k miles every week (2.5 each way) for flying JFK-LAX
3. Currently Platinum
4. First time getting status over Silver (usually take short flights, so I get silver based on segments rather than miles)
5. My travel schedule for the rest of the year will get me 7.5k miles over Diamond.
If I want to stop right below Diamond/roll over miles, I have to take 3 flights on another airline
6. Unknown what my travel schedule is for next year (doubt I will be doing JFK-LAX anymore)

Lets assume I do not fly much/or fly my usual short flight schedule in 2015, here's the two possible scenarios
1. Roll over miles
2014 - Platinum, stopping right before Diamond (roll over 48k miles)
2015 - Platinum (start with 48k miles from 2014)
2016 - Gold status (get it from the 48k miles and 1 or 2 flights in 2015)

2. Do not roll over miles
2014 - Diamond (make it in December)
2015 - Diamond
2016 - no status (or silver)

I have heard - Get the status that you can maintain.
If thats the case, then I should not get Diamond, as I will not be able to maintain that next year (I won't be able to maintain Plat either, most likely not Gold based on my travel history)
So thats 1 vote for "Roll over" (too bad its not like hotels, where you only lose status to the previous level only)

But the advantage of getting Diamond is...more bonus miles and 2 choice rewards (as opposed to 1 as a Platinum) I would get 2 choice rewards in 2014 and 2 more in 2015.
Although the only choice benefit I would like is the points, and you can only choose that once. The other choice benefits are not really needed by me.
So...thats 1 vote for getting Diamond...maybe?

Based on my information, What do you all recommend?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Have you consider the MQD requirements?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
You gotta experience DM to believe it. GO FOR IT!!!!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by sard
Based on my information, What do you all recommend?
A longer post with more information It's a personal choice based on whatever makes you happy/more comfortable.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
I was asking myself the same question. The way I looked at it was this, I have no idea what next year has in store for me. I could travel as much, it could be less. So does banking miles to make PM or DM easier next year make sense if I don't travel enough to enjoy any of it? So my thought was go big or go home. I know i'll prob travel enough to at e close to PM if I drop off from DM so I said screw it and hit DM.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

>>Have you consider the MQD requirements?

You mean the amount of money spent to get to the status level?
Yes, that should be fine

>>You gotta experience DM to believe it. GO FOR IT!!!!

Is there much difference in treatment between DM and Plat?
I'll be honest, I haven't noticed a difference between Gold and Plat.
The big difference was getting Gold, because I could board with SKY as opposed to Zone 1.

>>A longer post with more information It's a personal choice based on whatever makes you happy/more comfortable.

Heck, I don't know, thats why I'm asking the experienced folks for advice, lol.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
[QUOTE=sard;23862199>>A longer post with more information It's a personal choice based on whatever makes you happy/more comfortable.

Heck, I don't know, thats why I'm asking the experienced folks for advice, lol.[/QUOTE]If I were you, I'd probably go for DM, especially since you're flying that route so often currently.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Good point, but the problem is, my flying that route is scheduled to end this year.

If I was going to continue to fly that route (and continue to earn the 5k miles a week), then I would have no issue getting Diamond and not rolling over miles

Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
I would stick to Plat for 2015 and fly 25K in 2015 to maintain Plat for 2016. Plat x2 is better in my opinion than Diamond and Silver. You keep the ability to upgrade on transcons, free reinstatement of miles on award tickets, good customer service etc. just my 2 cents.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM

But the advantage of getting Diamond is...more bonus miles and 2 choice rewards (as opposed to 1 as a Platinum) I would get 2 choice rewards in 2014 and 2 more in 2015.
If you go to DM you won't get two Choice Benefits in 2014 and 2015 -- only two in 2014.

As for more bonus miles, with SM2015 you'll get 2 extra miles per MQD, so estimate your MQDs for 2015 to see how much extra you'll earn.

Your estimate of Gold in 2106 if you hold short is only valid if you make the MQDs in 2015 or have the Amex waiver (assuming it is still there then, but if it's not then a lot other things will have probably changed as well...)

You don't have to fly another airline if you want to hold short -- just credit to AS (though you won't get DL perks).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

>>If you go to DM you won't get two Choice Benefits in 2014 and 2015 -- only two in 2014.

Why wouldn't I get two in 2015?
I make DM in December, I will be able to choose 2 Choice Benefits (thats 2 for 2014).
In Feb (I think thats the time period), you are now allowed to choose the 2015 Choice Benefits (so thats 2 in 2015)

Right?

>>As for more bonus miles, with SM2015 you'll get 2 extra miles per MQD, so estimate your MQDs for 2015 to see how much extra you'll earn.

No idea on travel for 2015.

>>Your estimate of Gold in 2106 if you hold short is only valid if you make the MQDs in 2015

You are right, I didn't think of it this way. (I think thats what fromYXU was referring to, but I didn't GET IT until just now)
I always was able to get enough MQDs because MQDs usually do equal the miles flown (if you buy a "normal" priced ticket) -
But if I roll over 50k miles, if I end up not flying...then I would not have the Gold level MQD, so I wouldn't be able to get Gold status anyway.
Is this what you are saying?

If thats the case, then I might as well get Diamond, because rolling over miles is worthless, because I won't have the equivalent MQDs (I only get MQDs from flights, and my company wants us to book cheap tickets)

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
>>If you go to DM you won't get two Choice Benefits in 2014 and 2015 -- only two in 2014.

I make DM in December, I will be able to choose 2 Choice Benefits (thats 2 for 2014).
In Feb (I think thats the time period), you are now allowed to choose the 2015 Choice Benefits (so thats 2 in 2015)
Typo on my part -- you'd only get the 2015 Choice Benefits, which you could choose in 2014 as soon as you made DM. Technically, the DM status you earn is for program year 2015 but Delta gives you the bump right away as a courtesy.

Back in the day you got both, but that stopped a few years ago.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta PE, HHonours Diamond, Turkish Miles & Smiles Gold, Marriott Titanium
PM is really not that bad, I have had a positive experience with it. I think you'd be better off in the long run for 2years with some status rather than one year with the top, then nothing. But maybe that's my Midwest upbringing. I've been PM for 5 years and never had issue. Everything from Porsche pick ups to predominetly in 1st domestically.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM

Right?

>>As for more bonus miles, with SM2015 you'll get 2 extra miles per MQD, so estimate your MQDs for 2015 to see how much extra you'll earn.

No idea on travel for 2015.

>>Your estimate of Gold in 2106 if you hold short is only valid if you make the MQDs in 2015

You are right, I didn't think of it this way. (I think thats what fromYXU was referring to, but I didn't GET IT until just now)
I always was able to get enough MQDs because MQDs usually do equal the miles flown (if you buy a "normal" priced ticket) -
But if I roll over 50k miles, if I end up not flying...then I would not have the Gold level MQD, so I wouldn't be able to get Gold status anyway.
Is this what you are saying?

If thats the case, then I might as well get Diamond, because rolling over miles is worthless, because I won't have the equivalent MQDs (I only get MQDs from flights, and my company wants us to book cheap tickets)

Thanks
$25K on any Delta Amex waives the MQD requirement.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by langbr01
$25K on any Delta Amex waives the MQD requirement.
Technically, it's $25,000 qualified spend on any combination of DL AmEx cards attached to your account. You could meet the $25K by dividing it among several DL AmEx cards in your name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.