Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this IDB or simple incompetence?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
I've been a government contractor, booking myself, and have had similar experiences although at least a year ago. At the tiny outstation the agent agreed with the issue but the computer did not, IIR. After checking to see that I had about two hours layover, she simply decided to kick the can to Atlanta. She issued just the BP to ATL, got someone at the help desk to work on the issue, and told it should be cleared up there. And it was.

Just remembered the issue. Round trip to BKK with about 45 days between arrival and departure, which requires a visa. The computer didn't recognize that I had two embedded RTs out of BKK during the stay, which broke actual time in BKK to under 30 days per stay.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I think the larger issue is that if DL wants to get taken seriously as a "global" airline, this stuff should not happen (and if it does happen they need to have a way to immediately resolve). I've had a similar issue with a DL foul up that almost left me and others stranded in SCL. And I don't think that DL's agents truly understand (or seem to show any understanding) of the potential impact of missing an international flights. It's not exactly like flying from LGA to ATL.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I think the larger issue is that if DL wants to get taken seriously as a "global" airline, this stuff should not happen (and if it does happen they need to have a way to immediately resolve).
On what global airline does this stuff not happen? There are comparable threads on the AA and UA forums routinely.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I've been a government contractor, booking myself, and have had similar experiences although at least a year ago. At the tiny outstation the agent agreed with the issue but the computer did not, IIR. After checking to see that I had about two hours layover, she simply decided to kick the can to Atlanta. She issued just the BP to ATL, got someone at the help desk to work on the issue, and told it should be cleared up there. And it was.
Precisely. If this was done for the OP, chances are they wouldn't have arrived a day late. Yet there's still the defenders on here that say this was OP's fault.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
For future reference (hopefully you won't need it), the magic words to use at this point are "Check TIMATIC". The agent should then look up the requirements in TIMATIC and find that you meet them (assuming you do).
Are these magic words applicable to non-US carriers? I could have a visa issue coming up in AMS on KLM shortly.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I don't see how this is even a debate. This was clearly Delta's fault and the OP should be compensated. I'm thinking a Delta voucher in the amount of RT transport to the airport plus the value of one night's hotel.

BTW, can somebody tell me how to pronounce TIMATIC? Which syllable gets the accent?

Thanks,
Mike
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:32 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bobf
Are these magic words applicable to non-US carriers? I could have a visa issue coming up in AMS on KLM shortly.
Yes. TIMATIC is an IATA product, so it's applicable to non-US carriers as well; I suppose there are some minor carriers that aren't IATA members, but most of the ones you're likely to deal with are. KLM certainly is.

Originally Posted by mikeef
can somebody tell me how to pronounce TIMATIC? Which syllable gets the accent?
I've always heard it as "tie-MAT-ick".
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
On what global airline does this stuff not happen? There are comparable threads on the AA and UA forums routinely.
I personally have never had these issues on a non-US carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.