Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Going to make DM again...I'm pretty sure anyway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to make DM again...I'm pretty sure anyway

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
See attached.
Thanks. Looks great, but imagine one charged $60k to the IRS on their AMEX on 2 Jan 2015 and disabled all withholding with their employer. Is this even allowed?!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:48 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Esltroy, I do the same thing except I track all of my upcoming trip mileage in an Excel spreadsheet, especially this time of year!
I don't use an Excel spreadsheet; I use a Google Docs spreadsheet, so I can update it from my phone or tablet when I'm sitting in the Sky Club after being re-routed for IROPs.

I did exactly that yesterday during a SEA-SLC-BOS trip that had been a SEA-MSP-BOS trip until that very morning; SEA-MSP was delayed changing my connection time to negative 15 minutes (just a bit under the MCT, heh) so I rebooked using the iPhone app and wound up getting a couple hundred extra MQMs. (Also my upgrades cleared on both legs, which as a GM flying in V was a nice surprise.)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
So if the liability is less than $1000, there is no penalty. What if one didn't have anything withheld and made quarterly payments as if they were self employed?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by yohanson
So if the liability is less than $1000, there is no penalty. What if one didn't have anything withheld and made quarterly payments as if they were self employed?
That IRS Publication has lots of examples of underwithholding and the exceptions. Good info to know . . . just in case. Closest I ever came to zero was a refund of $4.19. Still have that check in a frame on my desk in my home office.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I track Booked and Actual MQM, RDM, MQD, Origins, Destinations, Connection Cities, Fare Classes, UG's, Type of UG , Time of UG, and Business vs. Personal all of which enable me to do all sorts of meaningless anaylses.
You sir, are my hero! I feel like such a slacker now.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:15 pm

I just bought my first $500 Vanilla card. 60 trips to Walgreens before 31 Dec isn't looking like fun...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
When I made DM, I made it by 8 miles. I'm now 14,466 miles past the DM post.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I just bought my first $500 Vanilla card. 60 trips to Walgreens before 31 Dec isn't looking like fun...
"Vanilla Card?" What is that?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:50 pm

A VISA Debit card you purchase with your DL AMEX, then load to an AMEX Serve account or purchase money orders with in order to generate spend/hit your MilesBoost.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Thanks. Looks great, but imagine one charged $60k to the IRS on their AMEX on 2 Jan 2015 and disabled all withholding with their employer. Is this even allowed?!
Sort of. Your employer has to tell the IRS how many exemptions you file (if it's a large number); the IRS might tell the employer you need to justify it.

"I paid $60K in estimated taxes" will probably pass as a valid justification.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by rdrink25
On DL.com they list how many miles you will be earning. They are spot on as I just hit PM by 24 miles after taking a MR.
Disagree, SEA-AMS is listed at 4,868MQM's, but without fail I get 4,887 MQM's I fly this route (but at least it's a positive difference )
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Disagree, SEA-AMS is listed at 4,868MQM's, but without fail I get 4,887 MQM's I fly this route (but at least it's a positive difference )
Don't worry. It'll be fixed now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.