Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need 4 segments inexpensively!! Suggestions??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

My wife will be four segments short to get to the next medallion level and we are trying to figure out a good flight route which is relatively inexpensive out of Atlanta for a weekend trip. What I'm finding is that pretty much every location is direct out of here and trying to force a multi segment itinerary seems to drive the price thru the roof. Any suggestions are greatly accepted and appreciated...oh and by the way, would prefer somewhere warm but could also use NYC as a final destination as well!

Look forward to your responses

Owen
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by owheaton
My wife will be four segments short to get to the next medallion level and we are trying to figure out a good flight route which is relatively inexpensive out of Atlanta for a weekend trip. What I'm finding is that pretty much every location is direct out of here and trying to force a multi segment itinerary seems to drive the price thru the roof. Any suggestions are greatly accepted and appreciated...oh and by the way, would prefer somewhere warm but could also use NYC as a final destination as well!

Look forward to your responses

Owen
owheaton,

Welcome to FT!

The mileage run forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/ - is a great place to start.

Also, using kayak or Google flights can help with searches. With Google flights, you can put in your originating city, desired dates, and evaluate costs to cities around the world.

Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you might think about driving to BHM ... checking the weekend of 6-8 Dec, it's about $265 to PBI or FLL (via ATL of course, so you'll get the four segments)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
you might think about driving to BHM ... checking the weekend of 6-8 Dec, it's about $265 to PBI or FLL (via ATL of course, so you'll get the four segments)
Also head north on 1-75 to Chattanooga - just checked CHA-ATL-FLL and got 251$ for 4 segments. It was more expensive (379) into MIA.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
GSP is another option for segment runs if you're ATL-based.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The drive to BHM, CHA, GSP ideas can work out better (<$) than forcing a connection like ATL-LaGuardia-FLL, depending on how you value your time with a drive.

If you really want to pound out four segments with little time and no care for visiting a destination, Advanced Routing Codes on ITA Matrix can be helpful. Just put DL DL in the field both directions to force two segments each way. Here's one four segment, single day result.

Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I just flew from GSP and it was well worth it for the cost savings. ^
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you don't want to make a drive from ATL, try smaller airports that are served primarily by a different DL hub; these are far more likely to allow a 1 stop routing. For example, SJC or SMF on the west coast. RST in the midwest. PVD or MHT in the northeast. Try using Google Flights to explore destinations, or use ITA matrix with the nearby airports feature.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a warm weather destination, but you can do ATL-DTW-CAK-DTW-ATL for $239.60 on 11/23 or $215.20 on 12/14 (albeit with a rather long layover in CAK).
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: DL
AGS fly to TPA/FLL. $206 r/t ai. Add a shuttle bus if you don't want to drive it from ATL-AGS.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM SPG Gold HY Plat
Not a warm destination but you can hop out to Spokane, WA (GEG) the first weekend of December. ATL-SLC-GEG on 12/5 and GEG-SEA-ATL on 12/7 for $318. Factor in that you'd earn at least ~4,500 RDM, pretty good deal. Hit up some skiing in North Idaho or just enjoy Downtown Spokane.

(worked there the last 3 years and enjoyed the weekends there in the winters)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by chickenwing11
Hit up some skiing in North Idaho or just enjoy Downtown Spokane.
..or visit Moscow

p.s. I had seen this and thought about doing this route as well due to the price and the SEA bonuses.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by chickenwing11
ATL-SLC-GEG on 12/5 and GEG-SEA-ATL on 12/7 for $318.
Could also do get 5 segments for $370 if you really want that one additional.
ATL-SLC-GEG still on 12/5 and GEG-SLC-DFW-ATL back on 12/7
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
..or visit Moscow

p.s. I had seen this and thought about doing this route as well due to the price and the SEA bonuses.
Actually just booked it myself. Haven't been back out since the project ended and kinda miss it. Head over to Coeur d'Alene for a night and the Davenport downtown for another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.