Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

$750 BE Upgrade Offer at Online Check In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Lucky you. I paid close to £300 for a PE upgrade from LHR to JFK. Not very exciting as the only seat available was a middle seat, then I was paged at the gate and asked if I wanted to switch to a window, which I gladly accepted.

Overall, a really good seat and service.
Yeah, £300 might be a stretch for me for LHR-JFK unless I was in a really awful Y seat.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:54 am
tmf

Programs: DL PM | Kimpton IC | IHG RA | HH Diamond
Has anyone experienced this recently? I just snagged an DTW-AMS D1 seat for $750 check in for Mrs. tmf .

Last edited by tmf; Jun 27, 2015 at 8:06 am
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM

I got it earlier this year -- though I had the choice between $750 or redeeming 75K Miles. I was confirmed on the UD of the 747 . It was awesome. I should note that the ticket was then reissued in OP class, so I didn't get any additional MQMs.

For those who use cash for this UG to J, did you get additional MQMs? Or, did the ticket get reissued into OP class also? I was kind of bummed that I didn't get additional MQMs -- I thought it would've been like FCM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by tmf
Has anyone experienced this recently? I just snagged an DTW-AMS D1 seat for $750 check in for Mrs. tmf .
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I got it earlier this year -- though I had the choice between $750 or redeeming 75K Miles. I was confirmed on the UD of the 747 . It was awesome. I should note that the ticket was then reissued in OP class, so I didn't get any additional MQMs.

For those who use cash for this UG to J, did you get additional MQMs? Or, did the ticket get reissued into OP class also? I was kind of bummed that I didn't get additional MQMs -- I thought it would've been like FCM.
Very nice indeed ^
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)

An Opt-UP fare should give you the MQM bonus.
It's done it every time I've bought an upgrade on a domestic flight.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL GM

OP class on paid BE upgrades too. So no additional MQM, and the amount paid also doesn't get included in your RDM calculation.

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
An Opt-UP fare should give you the MQM bonus.
It's done it every time I've bought an upgrade on a domestic flight.
Domestic FCM is a completely different animal than these international last-minute upgrades that get offered on OLCI.

Keith
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HornsKeith
Domestic FCM is a completely different animal than these international last-minute upgrades that get offered on OLCI.
Yes and no. If you buy a domestic upgrade in advance, you do earn credit for it. However, Delta does sell last minute domestic upgrades at OLCI also - those book into RP/OP and do not earn the bonus.

At $750 for a TATL with no bonus, I would not be a buyer.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by javabytes
At $750 for a TATL with no bonus, I would not be a buyer.
It seems like the two values DL uses are $450 and $750, though I haven't figured out the reasons that RM chooses one or the other. Both times that I've been offered the last minute BE upgrade I've been quoted the $450 amount- once for ATL-AMS and the other ATL-STR.

But you're right in that the money is paying for the experience alone, so it better be worthwhile based on solely what you get during the flight. For me, both offers have come ex-USA (ie, the sleeping leg), and a better night's sleep is a pretty nice thing.

Keith
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
SEA-LAX-PVG pay $670 for round-trip

SEA-LAX cleared comp upgrade 4 days out

OLIC offer $949 for upgrade to Business so that is for LAX-PVG
Worth it? no extra MQM or so
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Felixishim
SEA-LAX-PVG pay $670 for round-trip

SEA-LAX cleared comp upgrade 4 days out

OLIC offer $949 for upgrade to Business so that is for LAX-PVG
Worth it? no extra MQM or so
If you were to accept the same upgrade offer in both directions, you'd have a D1 TPAC RT for $2568 if my arithmetic is correct. This would be a great price for a business class ticket even without earning miles. This assumes, of course, that you want/need to fly to PVG and it isn't just a MR. I'm also assuming that these are all DL flights and not something like Air China.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
$750 is a good deal but it is still a lot of money if you can't expense it.

I go to work to make money not spend it. I do FCM sometimes if it is really cheap.

How about KL? I have one coming up AMS-DXB and I chose coach because they required a full Y fare to use a GUC. It was going to go up $3K just to use the certificate because it was going to reprice the entire itinerary and force me into a higher bucket ATL-AMS (which I used a GUC).

For a 6 hour flight during the day I can suck it up.....but I would pay a reasonable amount ($200-300?). I am on a T fare. Hopeless?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:59 am

I haven't seen this posted yet, and it might be common knowledge, but I'll mention that cheap FCM like this is only advertised at online check-in or at a kiosk, and these low fares can't be accessed or sold by Reservations or Ticket Counter/Gate agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.