Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VDB amount for hurricane/tropical storm situation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Do any of you have any experience with VDB offers during a hurricane or a potential hurricane?

If so, what was the amount? If not, what amount would you expect DL to offer?

This would be for an HNL - SLC segment.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not expect DL to offer anything, There may be a massive waitlist, but that will not result in overbooking and the need for VDB to avoid oversell and IDB. If you've got a confirmed seat, off you go.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1
I would not expect DL to offer anything, There may be a massive waitlist, but that will not result in overbooking and the need for VDB to avoid oversell and IDB. If you've got a confirmed seat, off you go.
+1

If the flight is oversold, the VDB offers will be pretty standard. But the flight may not be oversold just because of the hurricane.

During the 2010 boxing day blizzard, I was scheduled to fly PHL-MSP on 12/26. My flight was one of the first to be proactively cancelled almost 24 hours in advance. I happened to notice on my way out the door to Christmas dinner, and quickly rebooked the same flight the following day, even clearing a Medallion upgrade instantly on the new flights. By the time I got home from dinner, hundreds of flights had been cancelled and availability was obliterated.

On the 27th, I made my way to the airport after the northeast managed to partially dig itself out from underneath as much as 32 inches of snow. I was curious if a VDB opportunity existed. The standby list was miles long. The GA was telling someone at the counter that the next flight he could be confirmed on was four days out. Yet they VDB'd nobody and the flight went out even.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:52 pm

There is an assumption the plane is booked 100% with vacationers leaving Hawaii for their homes in the mainland. In reality, there are probably people from Hawaii booked out for trips to the mainland that may no-show because of a desire to stay home (protect property, be with family). Just a thought ....
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

DL had a notice online about volunteering to give up seats. Usually, there is not such a notice, so I thought I'd ask here.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twtrvl
DL had a notice online about volunteering to give up seats. Usually, there is not such a notice, so I thought I'd ask here.
Actually, that notice fairly commonplace. Usually, they don't actually need anyone to volunteer.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Guess they were right. They used at least three locals who volunteered.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

What did they offer in compensation?

Originally Posted by twtrvl
Guess they were right. They used at least three locals who volunteered.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anbhc
What did they offer in compensation?
The last offer I heard was $400, hotel, transport to hotel, and same flight the next night. (They said they might increase the amount, but I don't know if they did.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.