Wiki Posts
Search

More E class on the way?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
More E class on the way?

Just checked ATL-AUS/SAT to see if DL is matching the current WN sale. Sure enough they are ... with E fares. V is $50+ more r/t. Anyone finding E on other non-leisure routes?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Just checked ATL-AUS/SAT to see if DL is matching the current WN sale. Sure enough they are ... with E fares. V is $50+ more r/t. Anyone finding E on other non-leisure routes?
Yeah!, more E middle seats.Why not just cut out the middle-man and fly Southwest or Spirit.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
Why on earth would someone choose Delta's "E" fare on this? It's an objectively inferior product in virtually every way to Southwest's offering, but for the exact same price:

• 100% unchangeable (even with fee) vs. 100% changeable, for only a fare difference
  • No included baggage vs. 2 included bags each way
  • No advanced seat assignment, with only the dregs left after everyone else picks (vs SWA's no-advanced-seat-assignment for everyone, putting all on even footing)

Then, for flights after 2/1, no upgrades and no same-day changes either.

I guess you earn miles . . .
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Perhaps it's the markets I fly to/from, but I've never even seen an E fare offered.

To be fair, I usually only book a week or so in advance.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The initial markets are listed at the URL below. DTW-ERI is a bit of an oddball (no LCC/ULCC's and probably not much O&D).

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-economy-.html

I'm also seeing them on DTW-DFW and DTW-IAH (Spirit routes) even though they are not listed on the webpage.

E fares generally require a 3 week advance purchase and a Saturday night stay for a number of markets. Also only available on non-stop routings.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 15, 2014 at 3:02 pm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Interesting find by the OP.

Lots of city pairs don't have published fares all the way through the most-deeply discounted fare buckets. One might think they could keep one bucket above E (V or X) for time-limited promo/match fares.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jkatzen
Why on earth would someone choose Delta's "E" fare on this? It's an objectively inferior product in virtually every way to Southwest's offering, but for the exact same price:
you may have answered your own question
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG

• 100% unchangeable (even with fee) vs. 100% changeable, for only a fare difference
  • No advanced seat assignment, with only the dregs left after everyone else picks (vs SWA's no-advanced-seat-assignment for everyone, putting all on even footing)

I agree completely. Also, with WN, you can pay the extra $10 or whatever it is now to get priority boarding, so you basically get your choice of seat and can often score an exit row.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Corporate discounts for the employer and miles for the sucker (I mean employee).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum

+1. DL shouldn't have even wasted the resources to come up with E fares.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

For a frequent flyer, these are horrible to purchase. But for someone who is 1, on a budget and just wants the cheapest flight, or 2, doesn't care. It will appeal to them. DL isn't necessarily going after the high roller here, but that causal flier that would normally choose WN, or whatever the cheapest that shows up in Travelocity. They're not going to care about changes, and they're already going to pay for bags, the seat assignments might be an issue for them though.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:55 pm

E flights should be avoided by any DL frequent flyer. You can't book into Economy Comfort and on the one occasion I made the mistake of buying this fare, my upgrade was not processed correctly. Silvers were sitting in F while I sat in a middle seat in Y.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
E flights should be avoided by any DL frequent flyer. You can't book into Economy Comfort and on the one occasion I made the mistake of buying this fare, my upgrade was not processed correctly. Silvers were sitting in F while I sat in a middle seat in Y.
I thought E fares only got upgraded after all others had been upgraded. Not 100% sure on it though, but I thought there was some strange rule in regards to upgrades.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by WIRunner
For a frequent flyer, these are horrible to purchase. But for someone who is 1, on a budget and just wants the cheapest flight, or 2, doesn't care. It will appeal to them. DL isn't necessarily going after the high roller here, but that causal flier that would normally choose WN, or whatever the cheapest that shows up in Travelocity. They're not going to care about changes, and they're already going to pay for bags, the seat assignments might be an issue for them though.
+1 - People get all hot and bothered that these fares exist. But, the bottom line is that there is a market for these seats, nobody is twisting anybody's arm to buy them and it's highly unlikely that in the low-roller market, people are calculating in the risk of changes and the like.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - People get all hot and bothered that these fares exist. But, the bottom line is that there is a market for these seats, nobody is twisting anybody's arm to buy them and it's highly unlikely that in the low-roller market, people are calculating in the risk of changes and the like.
If an employer requires an employee to use an E-fare to go on a trip they didn't really want to take, would that be considered arm twisting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.