Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Pesos Joke of the Industry

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Why don't you enlighten me about DL search skills. I 'd love to hear how any more flexible I can be then 45 days in Low Season.

Sure I got problems with UA also but their search engine and availability of low award seats is light years ahead of DL. I never have a problem using my miles at a fair rate with UA almost impossible with DL.

When you earn a lot of miles like I do and you are spending your own money and not Corporate money, I expect to get value for my money. I don't expect the rules to change every year which happens in no other business like it does in USA FF programs.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by bubbashow
If you win, can I have a cut? =)
NO! WLTBLT! (want lottery ticket buy lottery ticket). Or don't you want states to make money? Geezzzz
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by kapkap46
They are such a joke.

Last week I looked for economy tickets(for friends)to Rio or Buenos Aires . Complete flexibility in July and August (not exactly high season) and there were no saver awards on any routing or any day . Oh the useless chart showed limited availability but when you clicked on it to buy it came up Standard Award.

Today I went in for myself looking for tickets in April to either Amsterdam or Paris (again not exactly high season)
Not as much flexibility but I doubt it would make a difference , nothing available.

I t used to be you could find seats on KLM or AF but DL burned those bridges and no longer do they offer anywhere close to the seats they once did.
Useless Program and Useless Management

Got one more TPAC flight to make in Business with their lazy FA's ( sorry for the few good one) and then I will try to find some vale for my 350,000 miles and then never again unless they are the only airline flying will they get dollar from me.

Oh and by the way I found Saver awards in 5 minutes for both those routings on UA. Not a big fan of UA but at this moment their Award Program is 100x better then DL.
UA flights are more likely to be delayed and canceled then those at DL. UA customer Service is reportedly horrendous. Good luck with UA.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:47 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Why don't you enlighten me about DL search skills. I 'd love to hear how any more flexible I can be then (sic) 45 days in Low Season.
Why don't you check out the stickied post "How to search for low tier business awards" right at the top of the first page? That is the best place to start. Hint: using the award calendar, like you do with United, is useless and NOT the way to start a search for DL award tickets.

I redeem a lot of Skymiles each year for both domestic and international flights. Extremely rarely do I have to pay more than the low/saver rate.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
UA flights are more likely to be delayed and canceled then those at DL. UA customer Service is reportedly horrendous. Good luck with UA.
Speaking on a subject of which you have firsthand knowledge, eh?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by javabytes
want lottery ticket, buy lottery ticket.
lmao. Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:06 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Sky Dong (SkyDong) is a more apt currency comparison.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
While many people complain about award ticket redemption on DL, I'd like to think that everyone understands that award tickets are just one part of the SkyMiles program. And low mileage redemption has been an issue at DL for as long as I can remember, it's not exactly the strength of the program. Supposedly there are to be some improvements with this, but if it doesn't happen...I would not be surprised. I wouldn't be upset either, just because it has never been their strong side. After years of redeeming low/mid and mid tier award tickets, I've been able to simply adjust my redemption strategy and gear it more towards expecting low/mid levels. Any less than that, and I'm pleasantly surprised...

I prefer to focus on the other benefits of the program rather than just award redemption (which is still a big part of the program sure). And while other programs do offer a lot more availability for low mileage award tickets, I think DL has other areas where it excels that keeps frequent fliers fairly satisfied (medallion benefits, IRROPs handling, on-board service, hubs, routes, convenience factor, etc.). And yes, before anyone says it...I understand that medallion benefits have changed quite a bit over the last two years, but with all the gloom and doom that was reported at the time some of the current changes were announced, it has not impacted me too much.

So the point is, if you are choosing DL SkyMiles frequent flyer program just for the purpose of low award ticket redemption, you're better off with another program. It's just not the strong point of the program itself, and with the earning changes next year...many will believe it's not going to get much better, despite the documentation of improvements in redemption ability and increased availability of low mileage tickets. But if you are looking at other factors, then I believe DL does a good job.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
When you earn a lot of miles like I do and you are spending your own money and not Corporate money, I expect to get value for my money. I don't expect the rules to change every year which happens in no other business like it does in USA FF programs.
So don't use a USA FF program. Use AC- oh wait, they devalued recently.

Maybe LH- oh, wait, they devalued recently too.

Maybe AF/KL- oh, wait, they devalued too.

Perhaps BA- oh, wait, they changed their program rules when they went to Avios too.

If you're serious here:

Good Bye To DL UA and any Joke American Carrier. I know where I can get great service and meals and new planes for the same price and the hell with the miles. They have made them next to worthless just like the company!
I'd recommend sticking to it, and expecting that ANY program will devalue in the future (not just the USA-based ones), and primarily expecting your value to come from the flights you pay for, and only secondarily from FF redemptions.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:56 am

I'm thinking mods need to merge these Skymiles threads in too one big "2015 Skymiles complaints". Less threads cluttering up the board talking about the same old thing.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
That Stickie Post was a great thread 5 years ago, now it is useless. DL does not want to pay AF and KLM so those seats are just not available even in economy. Seats that used to be available for TPAC flights were on KE no longer available and you can be sure there is nothing available on DL metal for TPAC.

I agree that awards are just part of the program and if you fly lots of DOMESTIC Flights then the upgrades you may get are valuable . Other then that I see nothing of much value.

I realize I am speaking from the point of view where 90% of my flights are overseas. There are no upgrades no matter who you are so I understand someone who flies Coast to Coast every week cares about that . I could care less.

I pay for all my tickets and 90% are Business Tickets so the program offers me nothing except miles. I get all the other benefits in the price of my ticket.

And yes I have complained about both UA and DL. They both have mediocre food and mediocre service. DL has staggered seating overseas but IMHO UA has more comfortable seats except for the problem of aisle access.

UA's selection of entertainment is light years ahead of DL even on Domestic flights where the TV selections are triple the size of DL.

All that being said I have never had a problem getting what I wanted for an Award and it rarely takes me more then 5 minutes of my very valuable time.

Next year I will split my business between Asiana and EVA . I already know the service will be far superior , the food probably better and the airplanes newer. Asiana A380 will offer a product far superior to anything DL or UA has.

And the Asiana FF program on the surface at least seems far superior to UA or DL

1k with UA many times 2 million miler with DL and Gold or higher ever year but they have both driven me away and this post is more for the type of traveller I am to say Good Bye to companies who devalue your membership every year and look for International airlines.

And you Domestic members who are happy with your benefits and the worst Award Program in the USA and maybe the World. Good Luck
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:17 am

That Stickie Post was a great thread 5 years ago, now it is useless. DL does not want to pay AF and KLM so those seats are just not available even in economy. Seats that used to be available for TPAC flights were on KE no longer available and you can be sure there is nothing available on DL metal for TPAC.

I agree that awards are just part of the program and if you fly lots of DOMESTIC Flights then the upgrades you may get are valuable . Other then that I see nothing of much value.

I realize I am speaking from the point of view where 90% of my flights are overseas. There are no upgrades no matter who you are so I understand someone who flies Coast to Coast every week cares about that . I could care less.

I pay for all my tickets and 90% are Business Tickets so the program offers me nothing except miles. I get all the other benefits in the price of my ticket.

And yes I have complained about both UA and DL. They both have mediocre food and mediocre service. DL has staggered seating overseas but IMHO UA has more comfortable seats except for the problem of aisle access.

UA's selection of entertainment is light years ahead of DL even on Domestic flights where the TV selections are triple the size of DL.

All that being said I have never had a problem getting what I wanted for an Award and it rarely takes me more then 5 minutes of my very valuable time.

Next year I will split my business between Asiana and EVA . I already know the service will be far superior , the food probably better and the airplanes newer. Asiana A380 will offer a product far superior to anything DL or UA has.

And the Asiana FF program on the surface at least seems far superior to UA or DL

1k with UA many times 2 million miler with DL and Gold or higher ever year but they have both driven me away and this post is more for the type of traveller I am to say Good Bye to companies who devalue your membership every year and look for International airlines.

And you Domestic members who are happy with your benefits and the worst Award Program in the USA and maybe the World. Good Luck
A someone said yesterday to the OP in another thread, in regard to his/her repetitive and redundant posts, it appears that you appear to be trying to justify your position on this subject to yourself. If that is the case, you might be better off making an entry into your diary.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM
Well.. there is one good point in the OP... no one wants to go to Paris in April....

Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Want lottery ticket, buy lottery ticket.

^
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:44 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
That Stickie Post was a great thread 5 years ago, now it is useless. DL does not want to pay AF and KLM so those seats are just not available even in economy.
Sounds like you are just a very glass-half-empty kind of person. I disagree with your conclusion though. I booked J flights to Europe recently using AZ and KL. Found the flights on delta.com but ended up having to call since I couldn't book it online. But there are definitely award seats available if you care to take the time to look, which obviously you don't - which is also OK. Just don't keep b!tching about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.