Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 349 Downgraded from 738 to A320

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:28 pm

I'm surprised to see the A320 used so far into the Caribbean. I don't believe that's happened before.

I can see both sides of the coin on IFE. While its not too important to me, I can see how some people might need it to keep their minds occupied. For instance I have a upcoming trans-con trip with my 91 year old grandmother.While she's usually quite contented on planes to just look ahead and people watch; I think a 6.5 hour flight might be too much without some sort of stimulation or at worst a mild sleeping aid after dinner. So I'm thankful for IFE here.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by rynpilot
even on Caribbean flights? i didn't think the wifi works down there
The only Caribbean nation where gogo will work is the Bahamas.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:52 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Are we sure that Gogo's Delta Studio doesn't work over the water? I know it doesn't work for internet access, but Delta Studio content is stored on the server onboard the aircraft, not remotely (otherwise it would use up far too much bandwidth). I suppose the purchase engine still needs Internet access to work, but maybe if you "buy" (for free in F/EC) a movie while still over land you can then watch it once over water?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't people remember how to read newspapers, books, and magazines? You can also print reading material from the internet to bring on your flight for entertainment.

Or download movies and TV shows ahead of time onto your computer or other device if the flight won't have GoGo and hence Studio Delta available.
I keep a stack of Sunday NY Times Magazines for just this purpose. Small enough to fold & fit in a purse/backpack, short enough to be done on a flight and often learn about something completely random, and no worries that your battery will die or the IFE will be inoperable. But we're old school and still get newspapers delivered to our home. MrWeezer downloads stuff on his tablet to watch or grabs a WSJ from the SkyClub if it's a short flight. I don't always want my face in a screen but also have plenty of books on my iPad to keep me occupied.

As a last resort, those flights are good people watching if you like to make up stories about your fellow pax...lots of folks getting married, honeymooning, baby-mooning, celebrating something significant, etc. We took a last-minute trip to St. Lucia because MrWeezer had five days off once. Wish I had a dollar for every time we were asked, 'so what are you celebrating?' Uh, five days off and a great deal on the hotel. ^
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I'm surprised to see the A320 used so far into the Caribbean. I don't believe that's happened before.
DL flies these A320s on BWI-SLC, for example, a trip of around 1,850 miles. Are there any Caribbean routes that are longer than this?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by rynpilot
So my wife and I are booked for a flight from St. Lucia to Atlanta in December on #349. We are sitting up front and it was scheduled to be a 737-800 with the PTVs. Logged in yesterday and lo and behold they changed it to a A320. That's a 5 hour flight with no entertainment, what is Delta thinking? That's a major downgrade for a 5 hour flight. What are the chances that is going to be one of the upgraded A320's?
Unacceptable! Demand compensation! Should be worth at least 250 SkyPesos each.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
'so what are you celebrating?' Uh, five days off and a great deal on the hotel. ^
+100
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
DL flies these A320s on BWI-SLC, for example, a trip of around 1,850 miles. Are there any Caribbean routes that are longer than this?
Yes there are a few. The original route in the post ATL-SLU is longer.

I was surprised because you don't normally see the A320 on long over-water routes with Delta. I always assumed they weren't over-water equipped which restricted their routing adding additional time and fuel.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:10 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The original route in the post ATL-SLU is longer.
Yes, by 131 miles.

I always assumed they weren't over-water equipped which restricted their routing adding additional time and fuel.
Didn't NW fly some of 'em out of NRT at one time?

Found it: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/695676/

The longest route mentioned is NRT/KHH at 1509 miles.

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 8, 2014 at 7:17 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Yes, by 131 miles.

Didn't NW fly some of 'em out of NRT at one time?

Found it: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/695676/

The longest route mentioned is NRT/KHH at 1509 miles.
Yes they did. IIRC weren't they awarded landing slots for the shorter runway that they wanted to sit on?

I also think they reappeared during the 'SARS' era when demand fell off a cliff
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Not if you use technology made after 2013.

Surface Tablet - No
Android Phone - No
64bit Laptop - No

If you are an apple lemming - Yes.
Add my cheapie Asus Android tablet to that list.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Don't people remember how to read newspapers, books, and magazines? You can also print reading material from the internet to bring on your flight for entertainment.

Or download movies and TV shows ahead of time onto your computer or other device if the flight won't have GoGo and hence Studio Delta available.
+1
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:59 pm

attack the OP all you want, but a cr@p old A320 on a 5 hour flight is completely stupid. those plane are a huge disappointment by 2014 standards.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by squatch
attack the OP all you want, but a cr@p old A320 on a 5 hour flight is completely stupid. those plane are a huge disappointment by 2014 standards.
People may want it, but they only get what they pay for. Right now Delta is profitable, there's no need to buy the latest greatest planes when they're already getting people to pay for what they have. PS Try UA were you never know till you get on a plane if your 737 will have IFE. Flew to POS on them (No DL service) and at 5 1/2 hours from either IAH or EWR it can suck. At least on DL you know for the most part if you're going to have IFE or not.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

What are newspapers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.