Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GUC - 1 way or 1 segment (and availability)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

I am very close to DM this year and plan to get it (as opposed to lots of rollover) because of the GUC. But I want to check on what this would actually get me, so two questions:

1. Delta states the the global upgrade certificate is good for upgrade one way. The flight I have planned for my GUC next year is JAN-ATL-LAX-SYD. Would the upgrade upgrade me on all legs of this flight or just the LAX-SYD leg?

2. My dates for this trip will be fairly flexible. With some flexibility, is it reasonable for me to assume that their will be availability to use the GUC on this itinerary?

For me, the only reason to get DM would be to upgrade the above trip. Otherwise, I think I would rather stay PM and roll over a lot.

Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's approximately one way rather than one segment but the technical rule is based on fare components. This basically means that it's one way including stopovers if your fare allows stopovers and if you don't have a broken fare.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's approximately one way rather than one segment but the technical rule is based on fare components. This basically means that it's one way including stopovers if your fare allows stopovers and if you don't have a broken fare.
Also, if any of the segments are on partners, those segments may not be eligible. I just flew GOT (on KLM)-AMS-MSP-SFO on a GUC and the GOT-AMS wasn't eligible for an upgrade because it wasn't on a Y, B or M fare. All of the segments were on V fares.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
However, just waitlisted for one. Here is what the Diamond line told me.
I am waitlisted on January 3rd for MAN-ATL-DAY. I could have waitlisted for the GUC for the whole journey not just the MAN-ATL segment. However, if the MAN-ATL segment did not clear it would still be used for ATL-DAY. The agent told me that as a Diamond on Saturday January 3rd I would be highly likely to clear for a complimentary UG anyway so I would waste a GUC if MAN-ATL did not clear for some reason.

So I have waitlisted for 1 SEGMENT only MAN-ATL and I will take my chances on the ATL-DAY leg.

Hope it make sense the way I have explained it.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 8, 2014 at 2:50 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I am waitlisted on January 3rd for MAN-ATL-DAY. I could have waitlisted for the GUC for the whole journey not just the MAN-ATL segment. However, if the MAN-ATL segment did not clear it would still be used for ATL-DAY. The agent told me that as a Diamond on Saturday January 3rd I would be highly likely to clear for a complimentary UG anyway so I would waste a GUC if MAN-ATL did not clear for some reason.

So I have waitlisted for 1 SEGMENT only MAN-ATL and I will take my chnaces on the ATL-DAY leg.

If and when MAN-ATL clears, can't you then list your connecting ATL-DAY flight for the same GUC?

It would be so nice if DL would return GUCs where the primary long-haul international segment doesn't clear like UA does.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: DM/3MM
If and when MAN-ATL clears, can't you then list your connecting ATL-DAY flight for the same GUC?

It would be so nice if DL would return GUCs where the primary long-haul international segment doesn't clear like UA does.
I had this happen with a SWU. Didn't get the int'l upgrade, so I declined using the SWU prior to boarding. Then I further declined the usual domestic upgrade (we were on both lists) because there was only one seat and I was with Mrs. TrojanTraveler (long story, but we weren't feeling well and didn't want to separate, which we usually do).

And...SWU was closed out of my account anyways after all that. Took many calls and hours with DL to get them back (most of the calls were me calling back after DL saying this would be fixed by "X date", and having it not fixed, and having to go through the entire story with a new rep, even though it was documented).
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I had this happen with a SWU. Didn't get the int'l upgrade, so I declined using the SWU prior to boarding. Then I further declined the usual domestic upgrade (we were on both lists) because there was only one seat and I was with Mrs. TrojanTraveler (long story, but we weren't feeling well and didn't want to separate, which we usually do).

And...SWU was closed out of my account anyways after all that. Took many calls and hours with DL to get them back (most of the calls were me calling back after DL saying this would be fixed by "X date", and having it not fixed, and having to go through the entire story with a new rep, even though it was documented).
This isn't the same. I meant that someone could initially only request the GUC ffor the TATL segment and then add other segments to the GUC after it has cleared on the BE flight.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: DM/3MM
This isn't the same. I meant that someone could initially only request the GUC ffor the TATL segment and then add other segments to the GUC after it has cleared on the BE flight.
I was addressing your second point. You are correct in your first.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM

So I have waitlisted for 1 SEGMENT only MAN-ATL and I will take my chnaces on the ATL-DAY leg.

Also, once (if) your MAN-ATL segment clears, call/tweet delta and request that they apply that cert to your ATL-DAY segment as well. But be sure to do this only after your MAN-ATL segment clears, as you don't want to waste it (as was previously stated).
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Yes, that's the way to do it.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I totally agree

I can try this but recently on a Saturday ATL-DAY always clears and even at T-3 days or better - so I would know well in advance likely - almost certainly at MAN when they issue the BPs.

Originally Posted by emg2919
Also, once (if) your MAN-ATL segment clears, call/tweet delta and request that they apply that cert to your ATL-DAY segment as well. But be sure to do this only after your MAN-ATL segment clears, as you don't want to waste it (as was previously stated).
See above - but yes I agree

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 9, 2014 at 9:38 am
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I can try this but recently on a Saturday ATL-DAY alwys clears and even at T-3 days or better - so I would know well in advance likely - almost certainly at MAN when they issue the BPs.
An interesting issue: if the domestic segment medallion upgrade clears before the long segment w/GUC clears, should (can?) the GUC be applied to the domestic segment as well? The only time I can see that it might matter is in the event of IRROPS.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
An interesting issue: if the domestic segment medallion upgrade clears before the long segment w/GUC clears, should (can?) the GUC be applied to the domestic segment as well? The only time I can see that it might matter is in the event of IRROPS.
Good point/question - I don't know is the honest answer.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by sethb
It could matter if you want to SDC for domestic segments after the international segments have been flown.

In practice, listing the domestic segments for the GUC upgrade will often enable you to grab the upgrade at some random time when DL decides to release an upgrade seat. However, once it gets to the DM window, IME DL is much more likely to release (additional) upgrade inventory in OU/RU rather than OP/RP, so keeping the GUC listing at that point will probably make it go to the gate. This assumes that the claim is correct that we can only list for the upgrade using a single method per segment.

I suspect that in most cases an optimal strategy is to list the domestic segment for the GUC upgrade (after the longhaul segments have cleared) until just before the DM window, then remove the GUC request, and finally once again request that the GUC be reapplied on the day of departure to move you to the top of the gate upgrade list. It requires several phone calls to competent DL agents who know how to request GUC waitlist upgrades.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It requires several phone calls to competent DL agents who know how to request GUC waitlist upgrades.
But it should not require this amount of hassle - not really fair IMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.