Wiki Posts
Search

Help with accumulating miles - Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Help with accumulating miles - Delta

Planning a trip to Nairobi from RDU in June 2015. Have 115000 miles through Delta. Ambitious plan is to get enough miles to get business class seats for husband and me; and then pay for economy tickets for the two boys. Can someone give me some advice on how I can do it; or if it is even possible? I already have a Delta Amex.

Any help/pointers/comments to bring me back to reality will be much appreciated,

Thanks,

D
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Remember that DL rules for redeemable miles earning change from distance based to revenue based on January 1. YOu might want to paln ahead and try to earn lots of miles before the change.

2. Kids under 15 (check the precise rule) traveling in a separate cabin from adults pay UM fees on DL even though parents are traveling on the same flights. Other UM eligibility rules, such as minimum age for connections, apply in this case. These fees can add a lot to the cost of your tickets/trip.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I've never redeemed miles for a trip to Africa, but I would think that finding two business class award seats on the same flight during the summer might be very difficult. I have redeemed miles in several programs (UA, AA, DL) for economy summer travel USA--Europe and even that requires quite a bit of advance planning.

Last edited by JPG3392; Oct 7, 2014 at 6:43 am Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Does your husband have the Delta Amex, too?

Also think about Amex PRG and Gold Business for both of you if possible. I don't think there are any spectacular bonuses at the moment, but I haven't made a thorough check.

The Suntrust Delta Skymiles Debit Card is an outside possiblility. I think they have discontinued online applications...not sure if branch applications are still available.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Desirees
Planning a trip to Nairobi from RDU in June 2015. Have 115000 miles through Delta. ...
You'll see that your post now resides in the dedicated Delta forum, where all things specifically DL in nature are discussed.

Good luck!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by flyaxa
The Suntrust Delta Skymiles Debit Card is an outside possiblility. I think they have discontinued online applications...not sure if branch applications are still available.
Sadly this is no longer an option as they are not currently taking applications (either in Branch or online) for this amazing product. Hopefully they will bring it back and not cancel the program for those of us that do have this card.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Thank you for your responses. I have enlisted the help of Award magic to see what they can do...
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:33 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Open a few credit cards and don't focus on delta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.