Search

Upgrades on SkyTeam partner airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Upgrades on SkyTeam partner airlines

Hello,

As a Delta Platinum (almost Diamond) member what are the chances of being upgraded by partner airlines, such as Air France or Alitalia.

Are there any benefits of keeping Delta Loyalty when I will be living in Europe (for next 5 years)?

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
At Air France there is more chance of Elvis waltzing down the aisle than a free upgrade.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Nam88
Hello,

As a Delta Platinum (almost Diamond) member what are the chances of being upgraded by partner airlines, such as Air France or Alitalia.

Are there any benefits of keeping Delta Loyalty when I will be living in Europe (for next 5 years)?

Thank you in advance.
The answer is a confident "No." Redeeming DL miles ex-EU also incurs large YQ/YR charges making the miles less valuable. The only reason which makes sense is if you continue to travel to the USA frequently on discount Y fares. Even under the new program next year you'll still earn 100% MQM for those (which over the pond and back is a nice chunk). If you fly last minute Y fares or J fares and won't be in the USA often, switch to your local airlines program.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will depend if you fly with Skyteam airlines.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...i-sign-up.html
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
While RDM earnings will change in 2015, MQM earnings are scheduled to stay the same.

An advantage of DL over AF/KL is earning - many fares that earn 100% MQM would nto earn 100% FlyingBlue elite miles.

MQD also does not apply to those of us living outside the USA.

The ex-Europe YQ/YR is very annoying; I am often able to book a coach fare for what they might charge in taxes on an award ticket. I often use miles to bring friends and family to me vice getting myself home.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello,

Thank you in advance.
You expect AF or AZ to upgrade you to keep you loyal to DL?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Only if you remind them that you are DM and demand it from them....
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:41 am

More info here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html

In theory you can use SWUs and/or skymiles to upgrade on AF across the pond, but availability is very limited.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikepa

In theory you can use SWUs and/or skymiles to upgrade on AF across the pond, but availability is very limited.
OP is looking for free upgrade.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:36 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikepa

I got very lucky on an AF flight earlier this year. CDG-IAD had space available and I was on a PE fare^ I thought a very good use of 12,500 miles (considering the PE fare was $1,500 round-trip).
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Schwann
At Air France there is more chance of Elvis waltzing down the aisle than a free upgrade.
Really??

As a lowly Silver and flying a lot on Air France, I have been upgraded intra-europe at least once every year since 2011, and even a TATL to JFK last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.