Wiki Posts
Search

Help me understand the upgrade window

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Help me understand the upgrade window

I'm Gold for the first time this year, and have requalified for next year. I've been upgraded on all my return flights this year, but never outbound from Atlanta. The
window for Gold is three days, but it's usually the day before. My Wed AM departure has been showing 12 open seats for at least four days. Are they being held for last minure buyers, and upgrades will be processed at the gate? Does this mean my chances are better since it does not appear any upgrades cleared?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Are they being held for last minure buyers, and upgrades will be processed at the gate?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Night Owl
Does this mean my chances are better since it does not appear any upgrades cleared?
I think not, because there are likely DMs and PMs ahead of you that are in the same boat you're in.

Is it possible that you're traveling on a Saturday? On a very leisure route? If so, it's very possible that there aren't any DMs or PMs ahead of you.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Your chances, especially as a Gold, are lessened any time DL holds back a substantial number of seats until the gate. More time for people to buy the seats, SDC onto the flight get rebooked into F due to IROPS, etc.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I bet your issue is ATL is one of or DL's most elite heavy city
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Interesting that OP should post this tonight as I was wondering if something is up with the upgrade window. I'm on a redeye Saturday (SFO-ATL) with 20 open F seats currently, yet at the upgrade sweep (which for DM/PM would have been tonight) nothing appears to have upgraded.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Interesting that OP should post this tonight as I was wondering if something is up with the upgrade window. I'm on a redeye Saturday (SFO-ATL) with 20 open F seats currently, yet at the upgrade sweep (which for DM/PM would have been tonight) nothing appears to have upgraded.
A Sat flight would clear today? isn't that 7 days out? I thought DM/PM cleared at 5.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Boltman519
A Sat flight would clear today? isn't that 7 days out? I thought DM/PM cleared at 5.
DM/PM clears at 6 days from Date of Departure, including date of departure.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I flew the redeye SFO-ATL on a Saturday back in early September. Flight showed F pretty open, I would say around 20 seats for 5 days out. Day of travel, the upgrade list was at least 25 long for 4 available seats. Flight went out full, but no need for VDB.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My experience as a GM and PM is that, generally, if you don't get upgraded at the window, you don't get upgraded at all. I can only point to four times this year I won a gate lottery (twice at JFK, once at LAX, once at MSP). I've been the "bubble boy" for an upgrade on six different occasions this year (#1 on the list after all F seats were handed out). My wife (a GM) and I did get an OP-UP at JFK on our trip to PRG, which was extremely nice.

Last week, at the time of the PM window, there were 15 empty F seats on a 30 F seat 767 LAS-ATL. By T -24 there were 6 F seats left. By flight time I was #8 on the UG list after all the F seats had been handed out.

Another example of them holding back F seats and not getting upgraded was a DCA-MSP flight; I was #2 on the UG list when I left for the airport 2 hours before flight time, and looking real good; there were storms in the area, a couple of flights to other destinations were cancelled, some rebookings took place, and, all of a sudden, I was #11 on the UG list after all F seats were handed out.

I only have to put up with PM for two more trips (and I did get upgraded for the first segment of DCA-JFK-SEA-JFK-DCA at the PM window); I'll hit DM by next weekend.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM
So this is helpful, that means that my Sunday AM flight window is tonight around 5/6 ish?

With only 5F seats I doubt I will clear today but at least I know today is the window period. I was always confused on when it happened. Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dd1612
DM/PM clears at 6 days from Date of Departure, including date of departure.
......starting at 5 pm ATL time, with the lower flight numbers being processed first, although recently upgrades seem to happen shortly after the window opens, versus the entire process taking about forty-five minutes in the past.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Upgrade window is working fine.

2 of my 3 flights for next Saturday (9/27) cleared last night. DL 700's flight cleared about 5:05pm EST. DL 2400's cleared about 5:20pm EST. yes I was tapping my phone waiting for upgrades to clear. HAHA. I like to select my seat so I get the best available at the time..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.