Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No luck with GUC..(sigh)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
No problems using up all of my GUC's

All TPAC mind you

Last edited by JPCAG; Sep 19, 2014 at 4:46 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:17 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
...no need to start thinking I'm trying to start drama, dave
Of course not, but I knew that there'd be lots of chatter about revenue management, selling of J seats - yada yada.

It's also funny to me because I just posted today in my Global UG success thread - here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23552054-post371.html

. . . that I just booked last nite SLC/CDG in V class and immediately used a GUC for it - PLUS the DM agent told me that there seems to be TONS of availability on that route!

My return, AMS/ATL is waitlisted.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
No luck for me either, jfk-nrt, nrt-sin, sin-nrt, nrt-jfk.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:50 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by emg2919
No luck for me either, jfk-nrt, nrt-sin, sin-nrt, nrt-jfk.
Reduced BE capacity because of the 747 going away is going to just make the worse unfortunately.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
JulienMSP, feel your pain but then again Delta is quit stingy with open up any upgrade availability. From my experience trying to upgrade with miles/GUC/SWU's on the TATL-AMS and AMS-TATL; doable when flying tuesday, wednesday, thursday and December or January when traffic dies down it's also a doable. Other periods are bleh bleh..

Saturday's, sunday's and mondays, being busy travel days and when you're looking for an upgrade 21 days out...only book a flight when they are avalaible at the time of booking. Most of the time it's not going to happen with Delta.

This one had all seats accounted, if you decide to stick with Delta...you might start prepare yourself mentally for the worse. Find out at T-2h that there are still 8 seats unsold on AMS-ATL, iirc 12, 9 and 6 seats on AMS-MSP and 7 seats on MSP-AMS and wondering why they didn't or still don't release any seats.

The irony; my last four SWU's....i used them on KL flights.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I'm 1-1 on my GUCs -- got them last month and applied one to my LHR-LAX flight in November.

But the talk here brings up a dilemma -- I usually do 6-7 TATL flights a year so not nearly enough GUCs for even the overnight outbounds. I have no TPAC flights in mind, but you never know when something might come up so I was planning on holding back two "just in case." But if they really end up that hard to use I'd hate to find myself with unused GUCs come next August.

It would be really nice if we could compile some statistics of routes where GUCs where successful and those that weren't. Something like XXX-AMS is 25% but YYY-FRA is 75% would help in decisions....
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
21 days is actually a record for me and the company; we honestly almost always book t-14d unfortunately--just the nature of the biz.

As i said earlier; this is the last int'l flight indefinitely for me..so this is all moot.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
For what it's worth, the Sunday flights are actually pretty booked. It wouldn't surprise me if they close out upgrade availability due to the pilot strike on AF in case they need to re-accommodate people.

DL RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
7DL 232 J3 C3 D2 I2 Z0 Y1 B1 M1 S0 H0 SEAAMS 141P 830A‡1
Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
8DL 153 J1 C0 D0 I0 Z0 Y2 B2 M2 S2 H1 SEAAMS 607P 100P‡1
Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:50 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
21 days is actually a record for me and the company; we honestly almost always book t-14d unfortunately--just the nature of the biz.

As i said earlier; this is the last int'l flight indefinitely for me..so this is all moot.
Have you checked in for the flight yet? If so, where are you on the UG list?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I have, I'm number one for three seats left; but if you try to buy those seats on DL (since i no longer have ExpertFlyer); it won't let you so i think they are just unassigned
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dd1612
Suggest that you consider applying it only for the TPAC portion first.
Once that clears, then consider applying it for the within USA/ Domestic portion. This should clear, at worst, at check-in.

This way, you will not lose a GUC should the with-in USA domestic portion clear and the TPAC portion remain waitlisted.

Now if it is: USA Gateway --> NRT ---? Asia destination then apply the GUC to both legs.
Can that be done when it's a "direct" flight number as the poster has? I've always been told if I book a direct that it needs both segments to clear, you can't just ask for the TPAC portion of the flight.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Can that be done when it's a "direct" flight number as the poster has? I've always been told if I book a direct that it needs both segments to clear, you can't just ask for the TPAC portion of the flight.
Yes, it can be done.
Just ask, if refused HUACA!
It will be done, has been done.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I use the same strategy with GUCs as I do with finding intl low awards in BE and I've been successful with both. I've been able to book multiple low awards and 2 GUCs to Europe, Asia, and South America so far this year. How?

1. Book well in advance.
2. Be flexible with dates.
3. Always work with a DL agent to find options such as coach-domestic/BE-international combinations and availability on partner flights that don't show up in the award engine.
4. Break it down by segments. First find availability from anywhere in the U.S. to your destination; or find availability from your origin to anywhere near your destination. Fill in the missing segment with coach connections or domestic carriers.

For instance, my last booking was from Atlanta into Stockholm and back to Atlanta out of Copenhagen. Since I would have to transfer somewhere, I chose an available low award to London, non-stop both ways. There was also a Paris NS RT available. The European domestic flights cost only a few hundred dollars, saving me a few hundred thousand Skymiles by using low availability instead of mid-level for the 2 tickets.

Yes, you may be on the line with a DL agent for a while exploring all the possibilities. They're usually very patient. So long as you're not too close to your departure, you should be able to find something. Stay creative and flexible.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM
... have you seen EU loads with the AF strike? DL knew exactly what it was doing with revenue management for this week. Sorry you took it so personally, but there are a LOT of paid J pax to accommodate.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:10 am
Original Poster

i'm supposed to be returning via AF, bubba--i'm wondering how that will end up working out...

And to safigan--its the "way in advance" problem that we have with our work trips--they just can't be done that way due to too many factors that have lead it to difficult to predict when we are actually going to go..i imagine that was some of it too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.