Search

Very Frustrated with Delta...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Wow, Delta really requires a 60-minute schedule change to let you change flights? I just saw a schedule change of 40 minutes yesterday on a United itinerary and I called and was able to change to other flights because of the difference of 40 minutes...I don't like the "one time" change mentioned above either...if the schedule changes again, I would expect to be able to change it as often as I need to if an airline keeps making changes to my itinerary...
One time means you can't call today and change flights and then call tomorrow and change again without a change fee. Of course, if there is another schedule change the meets the criteria you can change.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
ummm, not to sound like a jerk (though I probably am) but your talking about a little more then an hour. I have small kids and I would hardly consider this that big of a deal. So, you essentially have to wake up an hour earlier. Maybe bedtime can be an hour earlier so it doesnt necessarily affect your kids to much.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Here's another idea you may want. You say you stay at Marriott's often - use points and stay at the airport Marriott / Courtyard / FFI, etc.

This way the kids get an "extra" day vacation, maybe even some pool time depending on the hotel the night before, up early and use the shuttle bus to get to the airport instead of worrying about driving, etc.

The other option is to switch as others have said to a connecting flight - especially if you can get MSP as it may break up the day, allow for better bathroom rooms, etc.

Just some thoughts.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Here's another idea you may want. You say you stay at Marriott's often - use points and stay at the airport Marriott / Courtyard / FFI, etc.

This way the kids get an "extra" day vacation, maybe even some pool time depending on the hotel the night before, up early and use the shuttle bus to get to the airport instead of worrying about driving, etc.

The other option is to switch as others have said to a connecting flight - especially if you can get MSP as it may break up the day, allow for better bathroom rooms, etc.

Just some thoughts.
The DL2SXM family does that...Especially on the inbound flight. If we have an early flight, we set up camp at an airport hotel. Usually an Embassy Suite if we could find one.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Former Diamond
Out of curiosity, when was this flight ever 730am?

Ive only seen and flown it as a 6am flight (brutal timing...)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
No disrespect, but I never understand this "break up the day argument."

Connections mean "potential problems."

Point in fact, my daughter (12) has an October break, and the AMS-BOS-AMS fares were very high; so flying AMS-LAX-BOS-AMS was only a little bit more. This is only doable (i.e. 2 days at Universal Hollywood) because AMS-LAX is a non-stop. Breaking it up into a connection, sheesh, it just makes it a super duper long day of travel, even if it all goes perfect.

I tend to find, it's even more pronounced if traveling from the midwest to west coast. Why take a short CMH-LAX (nonstop) flight and convert it into a long travel day with a connection? Just doesn't make sense to me, especially, if traveling with kids. (and, any IrrOps, and you are totally screwed!)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
No disrespect, but I never understand this "break up the day argument."

Connections mean "potential problems."

Point in fact, my daughter (12) has an October break, and the AMS-BOS-AMS fares were very high; so flying AMS-LAX-BOS-AMS was only a little bit more. This is only doable (i.e. 2 days at Universal Hollywood) because AMS-LAX is a non-stop. Breaking it up into a connection, sheesh, it just makes it a super duper long day of travel, even if it all goes perfect.

I tend to find, it's even more pronounced if traveling from the midwest to west coast. Why take a short CMH-LAX (nonstop) flight and convert it into a long travel day with a connection? Just doesn't make sense to me, especially, if traveling with kids. (and, any IrrOps, and you are totally screwed!)
You are overlooking two points raised by the OP:
Flight option 1: leave at 6:19am which means waking up at ...
Flight option 2: leave at 6:20pm making to hotel destination after 9pm (which when you convert to kids' actual biological clock is pretty late)

Originally, the OP had a departing flight >7am which was ok for them. But given the rescheduling, an option to at least consider is a connecting flight.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:02 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by cre95
You are overlooking two points raised by the OP:
Flight option 1: leave at 6:19am which means waking up at ...
Flight option 2: leave at 6:20pm making to hotel destination after 9pm (which when you convert to kids' actual biological clock is pretty late)

Originally, the OP had a departing flight >7am which was ok for them. But given the rescheduling, an option to at least consider is a connecting flight.
In my experience, the kids adjust fine; it's the parents that are the issue.

A potential issue with a connection and keeping your kids occupied for 3,4,5++ hours at a hub is much worse than some "minor" biological clock issues. Always best to take the safest (nonstop) route. Everything else, is dancing with the devil. I'm an "old man" of 44, with a 20/17/12 year old. I've been doing this for years and years. Believe me, always always a nonstop when that is an option and it's a family trip.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:06 pm
Suspended

In my experience, the kids adjust fine; it's the parents that are the issue.

A potential issue with a connection and keeping your kids occupied for 3,4,5++ hours at a hub is much worse than some "minor" biological clock issues. Always best to take the safest (nonstop) route. Everything else, is dancing with the devil. I'm an "old man" of 44, with a 20/17/12 year old. I've been doing this for years and years. Believe me, always always a nonstop when that is an option and it's a family trip.
^ +1

Play the alarm clock trick...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wow, Delta really requires a 60-minute schedule change to let you change flights? I just saw a schedule change of 40 minutes yesterday on a United itinerary and I called and was able to change to other flights because of the difference of 40 minutes...I don't like the "one time" change mentioned above either...if the schedule changes again, I would expect to be able to change it as often as I need to if an airline keeps making changes to my itinerary...
Of course it's one change per schedule change. The point is that you can't use one schedule change to change your mind and make a dozen voluntary changes. It's very reasonable.

Depending on the circumstances and your status, the sixty minute threshold for free changes isn't a hard and fast rule on DL. I doubt that officially UA permits free changes for all passengers because of forty minute schedule changes.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
...a nonstop when that is an option ...
while I suspect that OP agrees with you, having initially booked a nonstop for the family of 5, I think the underlying reason for this thread is "just because they still offer a nonstop doesn't mean it's a practical option for this trip" ... what worked for you when your kids were single-digit-years of age may not work for this family, and OP is (a) venting at DL as well as (b) seeking advice from the community as to practical options
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
I was allowed to change once on a 13 minute schedule change. Being polite and nice helps, I think.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by bwallet
I was allowed to change once on a 13 minute schedule change. Being polite and nice helps, I think.
Also, skip the mention of your Marriott status as well as your AA travel. A DL agent is not going to be impressed and may actually be turned off by these references.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL-FO, SPG-Gold, HH-Dia, IHG Spire Elite IC
You really have my sympathy. I've been there. I know that some don't find an hour change to be that big of a deal, but I've always put too much effort in finding flights that would be the least disruptive to the kids' schedule (and my kids have a decade on yours!) It has been no small feat since CVG was gutted. We've even decided against some trips when we found nothing but a whole lot of ugly when shopping potential flights.

There is another a nonstop leaving from CVG @ 4:00pm. Don't know at what fare class you booked, but the CVG and CMH fare are within a few bucks right now. The right CSR might be able to make that work for you.

Either way, you've got me thinking about how nice it would be to escape Ohio for some LA sun when December rolls around.

Good luck!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Also, skip the mention of your Marriott status as well as your AA travel. A DL agent is not going to be impressed and may actually be turned off by these references.
Where did the OP mention they intended to bring this up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.