Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Where to credit DL ticketed flight not on DL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I didn't find much discussion on it, but here is my current situation. I am trying to figure out where to best credit these flights. I am booked for a business trip on a V fare ticketed by Delta in January 2015 for IAD-CDG-AUH which is DL8631 (codeshare of AF55) to EY32, then returning AUH-AMS-IAD which is EY77 connecting to DL9384 (codeshare of KL651). I have significant balances with AA, AS, and DL, none with FlyingBlue, but no status on any of these airlines.

With the EY flights which are both EY operated and marketed, just ticketed by DL, I plan to credit to AA, which has 100% earning on V fares on EY. I think this is pretty straightforward. This would be about 6496 miles. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there is some better place to credit these flights.

The AF/KL flights it doesn't seem like I'd get very many miles no matter where I credit. The scenarios I thought of are:

1. DL: as DL-marketed flights, would earn 5 pts/$ under SkyMiles 2015, and since half the flights are on EY would cut it even further. I think it's percentage of flight miles on DL * total purchase price * 5 mi/$, which would come out to 7728/(7728+6496)*$961*5 = 2611. This is a 66% reduction in miles earned than if the trip were 1 month earlier...

2. AF/KL: as DL-marketed V fare, would get 25% of miles flown (7728/4=1932 miles earned). Also wouldn't make much sense to accumulate an orphan 2K miles.

3. AS: does not earn miles for V fare on DL-marketed flights (or KL/AF)

So, my best guess is to credit to DL. Would be happy to hear of an alternative, though I'm guessing there is none
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful here. DL normally doesn't permit you to enter different FF numbers for different parts of an itinerary nor does DL let you change the FF number after travel has begun. I don't know what happens with codeshares, but you might be forced to credit all of these flights to the same program.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Hmm thanks for that info MSPeconomist. I called Etihad directly and they successfully added my AAdvantage number to their portion of the itinerary already. When I look up my Etihad PNR on VirtuallyThere, it shows the AA number. Hopefully that works... I suppose I'm curious now if others have had this particular experience too? I don't think you can even earn anything on EY flights even if ticketed by DL?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As for next years DL earnings, it's based off of the base fare for the flight, excluding taxes. Percentages have nothing to do with RDM (Redeemable Miles), percentages have to do with calculating MQMs.

It's fairly straight forward on RDM - Multiple the amount attributed to the fare for a flight segment, by the multiplier you qualify for. I say fairly straight forward, because the method the airlines use to break up the total fare and attribute it to each flight segment is impossible to figure out. It's not a set percentage or anything like that. This is one of the reasons DL is only giving MQDs on DL issued tickets. Doing so means DL gets to decide what amount of the ticket is the fare for DL and what amount is the fare for any other carriers on the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.