Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's so special about DL's MSP-BOS flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum

They are double the cost of other carriers....and this is not their direct flights. Much as I want to book DL, I cannot for this route.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tfox
They are double the cost of other carriers....and this is not their direct flights. Much as I want to book DL, I cannot for this route.
We actually discussed this at length last month: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-msp-bos.html

That said, short version, it's not just MSP-BOS, it's MSP to most of the key business markets on the east and west coast, like LGA, DCA, SFO, etc. Evidently they've negotiated sweetheart deals with several big corporations in both towns that give them access to much cheaper flights, which combined with connecting flows and people who stay over a Saturday (which drops the price tremendously) — they can still fill the plane.

It makes it tough for Delta-inclined travelers who work for small businesses where every dollar counts. Or for personal travelers not staying over a Saturday.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by tfox
There are many Medical Device businesses that have major divisional headquarters in MSP and Corporate offices in Boston/ suburbs, and now with the impending tax 'inversion' merger of two major device companies it will become worse.
The execs at these companies travel back and forth between BOS and MSP.
And price is not an issue.
Guess there must be significant corporate discounts offered?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador

Not sure about MSP but DL prices are all above the others in flights I'm searching recently, ie JFK- FRA, DCA- SLC etc...hopefully they get their prices competitive or I'll be booking elsewhere.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I was having the same issue on flights to Gillette Wyoming and Hawaii. I ended up having to fly into out of the way airports and take crazy flights to make sure I could get a flight with delta. My goal is to get diamond this year and then do a status match so that I can get flights at a reasonable cost next year. We have a crazy rule that we can't take a flight if there is another flight 100.00 cheaper. It's getting harder and harder with Delta.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dd1612
There are many Medical Device businesses that have major divisional headquarters in MSP and Corporate offices in Boston/ suburbs, and now with the impending tax 'inversion' merger of two major device companies it will become worse.
The execs at these companies travel back and forth between BOS and MSP.
And price is not an issue.
Guess there must be significant corporate discounts offered?
This. I work for a medical device company in BOS as well, and we have traffic to MSP, although not enough that we're getting any kind of contract discount rate. Kinda crazy when flights come back at 750+ for a couple day midweek trip.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
MSP is simply an overpriced market.

Someone's gotta subsidize those NYC and SEA fares...
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM
With average system-wide load factors what they are, it looks like Revenue Management is doing their job (especially when factored with margin).
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Esltroy
I was having the same issue on flights to Gillette Wyoming and Hawaii. I ended up having to fly into out of the way airports and take crazy flights to make sure I could get a flight with delta. My goal is to get diamond this year and then do a status match so that I can get flights at a reasonable cost next year. We have a crazy rule that we can't take a flight if there is another flight 100.00 cheaper. It's getting harder and harder with Delta.
Then you are going to be screwed again next year when whoever you change to isn't within $100. If you have that policy, you aren't going to be able to loyal to anyone unless you fly the same route time and time again.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL GM
Last fall they were selling 400$ G fares on this route!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Then you are going to be screwed again next year when whoever you change to isn't within $100. If you have that policy, you aren't going to be able to loyal to anyone unless you fly the same route time and time again.
Not really. The other carriers as least have inventory within that price range. I can do the occasional delta flight that is cheaper, but let's face it. The highest tiers for aa and UA is still 100,000 miles. I would be at the top there already this year.

I can always find inventory within my company's policy if I switch. Doesn't mean I don't love delta and will miss them next year. I just need to keep an eye on my bottom line. Just like delta.

The last straw for me was when they changed the miles I would receive based on price of fare.

So far it looks like american will not follow.

When I sent a message to delta the response was that there would be "losers and winners under the new rules. You are a loser."

If delta wants to only go for the high priced market, that is their prerogative. I guess they are just not that into me.

The odd thing is that I have (in the last two years) always cleared spent dollars to get diamond status. I have not made it in mqm or mqs, but I guess I am not a HVF.

I am not trying to be snarky or rude. I just think that delta is not that into me anymore.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you saying that for the last two years, DL gave you DM despite the fact that you did not qualify for DM based on either MQMs or MQSs? I'm assuming here that you didn't get a status challenge/match two years in a row, right?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you saying that for the last two years, DL gave you DM despite the fact that you did not qualify for DM based on either MQMs or MQSs? I'm assuming here that you didn't get a status challenge/match two years in a row, right?
No I have just been platinum. I would have qualified for platinum if it was solely based on MQD. This will be the first year I will also make the MQS/MQM to actually make diamond.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Esltroy
Unless there are other factors like better schedule or a nonstop available or bag fees or whatever, why is such a rule "crazy"?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I work for a very large company based in MSP and we have negotiated contracts with DL and the rates we pay are always exactly the same as what is the published public airfare, sometimes MAYBE like $2 less or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.