Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

will DL match my status after loosing my GM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Location: TLV, JFK, ORD and everywhere in between (no longer SEA)
Programs: Delta PM

I am currently gold with DL

I will most likely loose my status with them at the end of the year. However, I was able to match to gold with * a few months ago (based on my DL gold).

My question is this: if I am not happy with my new *g and want to go back to DL, will they match me back to gold?

what will be the best course of action here? I am unsure

thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by SeattleiteTelavivian
I am currently gold with DL

I will most likely loose my status with them at the end of the year. However, I was able to match to gold with * a few months ago (based on my DL gold).

My question is this: if I am not happy with my new *g and want to go back to DL, will they match me back to gold?

what will be the best course of action here? I am unsure

thanks!
No. Never.
Once you have been a medallion with DL and gone over to the other side, even if you desire to come back ... it will be at the price DL says ...
MQM's and MQD's ....to attain any kind of status.

You will start from scratch ... from zero MQMs and Zero MQDs (having the Delta AMEX CC and a spend of > $25k per year will gain one a waiver of the MQD requirement).

wow
harsh!
That is the Harsh Reality!

Last edited by dd1612; Aug 10, 2014 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dd1612
No. Never.
Once you have been a medallion with DL and gone over to the other side, even if you desire to come back ... it will be at the price DL says ...

You will start from scratch ... from zero MQMs and Zero MQDs (having the Delta AMEX CC and a spend of > $25k per year will gain one a waiver of the MQD requirement).
wow
harsh!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL no longer does straight matches. They now have a Match Challenge which requires flying a certain number of miles/segments in a 90-day period. Your current DL Gold status is good until March 1, 2015. In order to enroll, you must have no current status with DL. They may or may not accept your enrollment in the Match Challenge after March 1st (depending on whether you have done any DL matches in the past).
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Your answer is at Delta.com regarding qualifications for status match.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
DL no longer does straight matches. They now have a Match Challenge which requires flying a certain number of miles/segments in a 90-day period. Your current DL Gold status is good until March 1, 2015. In order to enroll, you must have no current status with DL. They may or may not accept your enrollment in the Match Challenge after March 1st (depending on whether you have done any DL matches in the past).
interesting. I wonder if they will agree to challenge match me to gold
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No. Never.
Never say never... It has happened before. As a plan by the OP, however, it is risky.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
will DL match my status after 'loosing' my GM?

No. Never.
MQM's and MQD's ....to attain any kind of status
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Never say never... It has happened before. As a plan by the OP, however, it is risky.
Have "LOOSELY" said Never!

There is an insignificant likelihood of DL awarding GM status, and thus the OP does not LOSE the GM status.

The likelihood is very high of the OP 'LOSING' his GM status because of Delta saying 'No'.

Now there are other ways to regain Medallion status.
1. Example: Travel 2 round trip MSP-AMS-BOM by paying $4-5k per ticket in BE, and GM status is regained/ retained!

2. Pay $100k towards Delta Jets usage and gain DM, then travel extensively on International flights in BE, and DM status is retained!

Last edited by dd1612; Aug 10, 2014 at 10:52 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Also in the never say never camp, but also in the extremely unlikely camp. DL has no incentive to help you status match your way around the different airlines unless you can figure out how that will benefit them, not just you.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
They won't match you if the DL match is based on status you gained through another match. According to the T&C you cannot get a status match challenge based on complimentary or promotional status with another airline. So you would have to earn the other status by actually flying a year's worth of GM level miles before trying to match back to DL. You can't just keep status matching back and forth.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
They won't match you if the DL match is based on status you gained through another match. According to the T&C you cannot get a status match challenge based on complimentary or promotional status with another airline. So you would have to earn the other status by actually flying a year's worth of GM level miles before trying to match back to DL. You can't just keep status matching back and forth.
fair enough!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Another point is that you are only allowed one status match/challenge in a lifetime. Once you get it, they won't do it again.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
How do they know whether your status on another airline is "real" or from a match?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
How do they know whether your status on another airline is "real" or from a match?
I seem to recall reading that they ask for a copy of your account from the airline they're matching. Otherwise how would they even know you really had status on the other airline?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:42 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by javabytes
I agree with you here. I have done a couple of status matches in the past (one with DL quite a while ago, so it is not necessarily relevant) and I have never been asked for details of flight activity and how status was attained. I was only asked to prove current status.

Even with DL, if you have status such as GM, you are treated the same no matter how you attained that status - earned through flying MQM's, earned through credit card spend, gifted, etc. So based on this, I suspect DL would Match Challenge regardless of how one attained status with another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.