Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading Infant-in-Arms SFO-JFK (BE)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Arrow Upgrading Infant-in-Arms SFO-JFK (BE)

Hi All,

As many are well aware, DL's policy has changed allowing DM/PM to be upgraded on BE JFK-SFO, JFK-LAX, JFK-SEA.

I'm flying tonight in paid BE and the gentleman next to me was upgraded with an infant in arms. Plane is a new 75T (flat bed) 2-2 configuration. Needless to say DL needs to put restrictions on upgrading people with infant in arms. Just put a damper on my expensive BE ticket...

Several other upgrades occurred, along with two in 1A and 1B... IMO they should have put this guy next to another upgraded passenger rather than a paying passenger. Kid already knocked over my champagne glass (sparking wine) and grabbed my water bottle and threw it across the cabin. Both were clearly on my side of the center console and away from him.

I told the father that if the kid touches me or my belongings again the police will be meeting the plane when we land. I already told him he is paying for my clothes to be dry cleaned as a result of the spill.

Anyways, looking for your feedback. Please note that if all children behaved and didn't impact the people sitting next to them I would understand. In fact, I'd even forgive crying as many people talk loudly... but they shouldn't be permitted to throw others belongs and knock over drinks after flailing their arms wildly.

Also: If this guy actually paid for his BE ticket I would be more amicable - but not accepting - of his child's behavior.

Regards,

mbwmbw

Last edited by mbwmbw; Aug 9, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yeah! Settling in with some popcorn on a Saturday evening.....

(And FWIW, I am with you all the way)
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
not touching this one with a 10 foot pole, although I do agree that having a lap child should make you ineligible for an upgrade.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
IBTL, can't wait for this thread. Wish the police had been called, that woulda been something. Perhaps the kid could team up with this toddler and they can form a toddler crime ring.

Life is short...
I told the father that if the kid touches me or my belongings again the police will be meeting the plane when we land.
Calm down a bit.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by plinko83
IBTL, can't wait for this thread. Wish the police had been called, that woulda been something. Perhaps the kid could team up with this toddler and they can form a toddler crime ring.

Life is short...

Calm down a bit.
Flight just started. I'll let you know if the police are being called when we land. Kid has calmed down a bit so doesn't seem likely.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This thread is brought to you by:

Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I can hardly wait for this thread to get some "movement". Someone jump on board.

I'll start. Did Jr pay the taxes for the upgrade? Did baby get extra miles for the upgrade? Did someone get hit by the water bottle? As for the dry cleaning bill - I see this on Judge Judy or Peoples Court.

Perhaps the cop's will put the kid in baby handcuffs or zip ties.

Was it a "non-rev"?

Did the FA steal the cookies as well? Were limes served? Was your drinks poured in plastic cups? Was the flt on-time?

Popcorn is heating up on this jewel.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kettle1
I can hardly wait for this thread to get some "movement". Someone jump on board.

I'll start. Did Jr pay the taxes for the upgrade? Did baby get extra miles for the upgrade? Did someone get hit by the water bottle? As for the dry cleaning bill - I see this on Judge Judy or Peoples Court.

Perhaps the cop's will put the kid in baby handcuffs or zip ties.

Was it a "non-rev"?

Did the FA steal the cookies as well? Were limes served? Was your drinks poured in plastic cups? Was the flt on-time?

Popcorn is heating up on this jewel.
No taxes or fare for domestic tickets. Infant-in-Arms do not get miles at all, and either way additional miles are not awarded for an upgrade.

Noe one was hit by the water bottle that I saw. The dry cleaning bill is still serious and there is actually precident set if you search court cases.

The kid is too small for hand cuffs but the parent can be arrested for the actions of their child.

I already stated the person waas upgraded, so it was not a non-rev.

Service by the FAs have been great thus far. It's not their fault the GA put an fail person next to me.

Regards,

mbwmbw
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I've seen many babies behave better than adults on flights. In J or Y. Of course, in this case, there was drama.

Threatening arrest for being touched by a child seems a bit extreme. Anyone who is a double DM DYKWIA should know they're a part of travel no matter how much YOU pay for a ticket.

If a meeting at the other end is so important, a change of clothes in the carry on might be wise. All sorts of things can trash clothes when in transit.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
This thread is ridiculous. Infants are people too. We were all infants at some point and the upgrade policy should remain the same.

Also..infant in arms is for ages 0 to 2 years of age. At this age, its not really a behavioral issue as they are "infants". They grab stuff impulsively. They cry. They sleep. They wear diapers.

Are you also suggesting that children from 2 years to 17 years shouldn't be allowed in the FC cabin? If not, then where draw the limit?

The fact is most planes have children on them..and almost always some are crying, some are stinky, some are misbehaved, some are sleeping, etc. Just a part of airline travel in general. The more you just accept it and not worry about it the happier you will be. (If you don't have kids now, you may one day, and feel much differently
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:40 am

OP, I sympathize with your concern, though your reaction and confrontation of the father was over the top. You took your frustration of DL upgrade policies out on a passenger.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:41 am

Lol....."....lighten up Francis"!
If I had a active, fidgety child next to me....I would have my glass in my hand...and my water bottle in the seatback pocket....that's just me though.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
What I hate is when the infant-in-arms gets upgraded and the parent doesn't, because then the infant has no control or guidance at all (although sometimes a parent with an infant is a DYKWIA and the infant is better-behaved than the parent)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Seriously? If it wasn't for the OP's track record of trolling, I would have thought this was a joke. But now mbw joins my ignore list, giving bubba company.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Maybe the dad can call NYC's finest and accuse the OP of threatening behaviour.

Maybe the dad is on FT and will post about the 'awful man who threatened me and my kid with arrest because his drink got knocked over'

It's a kid for goodness sakes. Stuff happens when there are kids around just as stuff happens when there are adults around too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.