Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VDBC Fare Class Flows vs Fare Class Paid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

In the Delta universe a long long time ago, when rebooking passengers taking Voluntary Denied Boarding Compensation on an oversold / overbooked flight - the Skyniles system would provide credit for the fare class flown.

Ex: I'm booked on an X class fare JFK-LAX but the flight is oversold so I take the VDBC voucher and get rebooked on next flight. As part of the bump, gate agent is able to confirm me in F or J or Y.

In the old days, I would fly the segment and it would show up on my Skymiles profile as F/F of J/J or Y/Y for Paid/Flown.

Today, I fly the segment and it shows up on my Skymiles profile as X/F or X/J.

What the heck happened and when did it happen? I remember taking a bump in the fall of 2013 and I received full MQM credit for flying an F. Any idea when all of this changed?!? It use to be such a nice perk!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
This changed a while ago (early 2013?). The computer now keeps track of your original purchased fare class, and while agents can "put" you in F/J/Y to prioritize your rebooked segments, you no longer get additional credit as if you actually booked a higher fare class.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
It's one thing DL fixed with its IT...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
It's one thing DL fixed with its IT...
Yet after 4 calls and over 5 months of complaining, they still can't seem to get randomly missing MQDs from a flight in early 2014 credited to my account. Win some, lose some I suppose.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
In the Delta universe a long long time ago, when rebooking passengers taking Voluntary Denied Boarding Compensation on an oversold / overbooked flight - the Skyniles system would provide credit for the fare class flown.

Ex: I'm booked on an X class fare JFK-LAX but the flight is oversold so I take the VDBC voucher and get rebooked on next flight. As part of the bump, gate agent is able to confirm me in F or J or Y.

In the old days, I would fly the segment and it would show up on my Skymiles profile as F/F of J/J or Y/Y for Paid/Flown.

Today, I fly the segment and it shows up on my Skymiles profile as X/F or X/J.

What the heck happened and when did it happen? I remember taking a bump in the fall of 2013 and I received full MQM credit for flying an F. Any idea when all of this changed?!? It use to be such a nice perk!
As has been posted before, this was corrected sometime
Last year. (With some exceptions, as there are posted examples of it still happening). You are pretty much getting what you paid for. The VCBC is your compensation.

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Aug 8, 2014 at 5:23 pm Reason: Correction
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
As has been posted before, this was corrected sometime
Last year. (With some exceptions, as there are posted examples of it still happening). You are pretty much getting what you paid for. The VCBC is your compensation.
Agree 100% so no complaints here, I'm just naturally curious as to why it happens sometimes but not others. It's probably attributed to gate agent training and screwing up the ticket reissue. I bet some gate agents / red coats follow a VDB reissue procedure and thus no extra MQMs are given, but I'm betting some other gate agents / red coats follow another procedure and force a reissue which screws with the fare class paid / flow stuff.

It's a curious system quirk that has caught my attention.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

This is why when I do a VDB, I have them write me a fresh ticket in full F. All you have to have them do is an even exchange. All my segments show as F/F
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by suvayanr
This is why when I do a VDB, I have them write me a fresh ticket in full F. All you have to have them do is an even exchange. All my segments show as F/F
How do you get them to do that? Ask for a reissue?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
How do you get them to do that? Ask for a reissue?
Yes - I have them reissue the new ticket manually. Usually it requires Global Ticketing to sign off on it.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Yes - I have them reissue the new ticket manually. Usually it requires Global Ticketing to sign off on it.
I'm surprised they are willing to do so.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Didn't this change when DL migrated to the PMNW WorldPerks system, which always did differentiate between class paid vs. class flown?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 18sas
Didn't this change when DL migrated to the PMNW WorldPerks system, which always did differentiate between class paid vs. class flown?
I don't believe so. The mileage merger occurred in October 2009 and there were reports of Y and F mileage postings on discounted tickets from VDB and IROPS rebookings well after that.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
Not sure this is possible now, since the MQDs for your flight would not be correct
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Awesome input! I'm going to request a fresh ticket reissue next time. I'm a little worried the Skymiles system has a new algo in it which traces back through multiple ticket exchanges to find the original fare basis for MQDs. If I was better at JCL I'd hack into the Delta mainframe and change it back to the way it use to be in the good old days, but alas that only happens in the Die Hard movies.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by den1k
Quote:

Not sure this is possible now, since the MQDs for your flight would not be correct
You are correct. MQD does get messed up. However I will be able clear about -8000MQD this year and am at $22K on AMEX. So I don't worry about it much. I'd rather have the miles and MQM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.