Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Equipment swap from CR2 to CR9 but no upgrade list - strange experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

I wanted to share my bizarre upgrade experience on MSP-XXX today. Some time around T-24 the usual CR2 for this route was swapped to a CR9. Typically when this happens (a couple of times per year), I am put on the UG list and clear immediately or at the gate. However, the app showed "Not Upgrade Eligible." When I called DL the agent said that the entire plane was economy and there was no FC. After the call, I checked the seat map and it looked like the usual CR9 seat map, except that rows 1-4 were blocked out and shown in the economy section instead of being in their own section. I'd never seen this behavior on DL.com before (and apparently neither had the phone agent), so I decided to grab an EC seat and not to think about it until after I got to a SC the next day.

When I arrived at the airport, I showed the seat map to a helpful SC agent who called the gate. The GA told the SC agent to just put me in FC since she had no upgrade list to go from (there are usually only a handful of Medallions on this flight every week anyway), but that didn't work. I was advised to go the gate, and the GA also could not move me. The GA spoke to DL on the phone, and was told that there was no FC on the flight. She made a comment about IT problems and told me to just take seat 2A after I boarded. She also said that she had never encountered a 2-class plane with no UG list.

I think I ended up being the only revenue passenger in FC. There was one or two NRPS, a family of NRSAs, and a bunch of empty seats. The back ended up being fairly full, but even if it hadn't worked out, about any seat on a CR9 is better than being in a CR2. Hats off the to the GA who helped me out!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:28 pm

What route?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My sister had the same issue about a week ago on a sub.

Original cr2, went cr9, going BUF-DTW.

GA refused to recognize the flight had FC until SHENA showed up and put her NRSA friends into FC.

Sister is an FO and sat in the back.

Complaint has been typed and regular mailed to Customer Care - we'll see if anything comes of it - but yeah, it was BS.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by baccarat0809

GA refused to recognize the flight had FC
"OK, then please change my seat to 2B in coach."
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:37 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Love Your Answer!!!

Originally Posted by sethb
"OK, then please change my seat to 2B in coach."
+1
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, HH:Diamond, Hertz:PC
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago on a CHA-DTW flight. CR2 changed to a CR9 during the day. Well, I checked in that morning and had my CR2 seating. My Delta app showed a seat change, but I didn't get a seat change on when the GA scaned my printed boarding pass. Seating was a disaster on the plane, since anyone who had 1-4 D didn't have a seat. They also transfered all the exit row seats to new exit row seats, I think it was row 8 moved to row 14. So those rows were double booked... It was more less like Southwest first come first seating. I was one of those exit row double books but I was there first. What pissed me off is they ended up doing FC service! If I knew that I would have tried to switch to rows 1-4.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by baccarat0809

GA refused to recognize the flight had FC until SHENA showed up and put her NRSA friends into FC.

Sister is an FO and sat in the back.

Complaint has been typed and regular mailed to Customer Care - we'll see if anything comes of it - but yeah, it was BS.
Good job for calling shenanigans on this. Medallions are supposed to put into Domestic FC if empty seats exist, period. I don't understand how GA's think it's okay to leave medallions in the back like that and allow the plane to go out with empty seats upfront (notwithstanding other restrictions, like companion cert, forgot to request UG, etc.). They've earned the status and are quite rightly entitled to sit upfront, that's the nature of this whole game.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
What route?
Yeah, I do not get the big secret here, thus the XXX.

This reminds me of the CR7 FC reconfigs where one never knew if the plane was one or two classes until boarding. I remember a flight from ATL-MLB where there was an uprising from a number of DM's who were in coach while watching kettles in Zone 3 hitting the seat lottery with seats in row 1-3. The FA & GA conferenced and ended up reseating a number of us.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Good job for calling shenanigans on this. Medallions are supposed to put into Domestic FC if empty seats exist, period. I don't understand how GA's think it's okay to leave medallions in the back like that and allow the plane to go out with empty seats upfront (notwithstanding other restrictions, like companion cert, forgot to request UG, etc.). They've earned the status and are quite rightly entitled to sit upfront, that's the nature of this whole game.
WFBF, even if they aren't actually selling F.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
This is a normal occurrence being sold as all Y and the GA just didn't follow procedure. When an aircraft changes from a 1 class cabin to a 2 class cabin only Y is sold because the aircraft could very well go back to a 1 class cabin. The seat map is shown to have F but it just not showing for sell or upgrade eligible. Again all this is left up to the GA to follow protocol.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Yeah, I do not get the big secret here, thus the XXX.
^ I propose that anyone who says they flew [insert hub] to XXX be moved to the DYKWIA thread. Get over yourself, you're not that important.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
^ I propose that anyone who says they flew [insert hub] to XXX be moved to the DYKWIA thread. Get over yourself, you're not that important.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.