Wiki Posts
Search

Award redemption TATL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
Award redemption TATL

Sorry for being a noob at redeeming miles. I wonder if anyone has any insight into the best way to go about this:

I am looking at travelling STL-FCO in November 2015; the dates are going to be fairly rigid since I'll be going on a cruise out of FCO. Looking to get 3/4 people there on miles, 1/4 on revenue. Questions:

1. Is my best bet to camp out when the window opens (I assume November 2014) and keep checking until I find a deal on miles?
2. Are there any recommended ways to automate looking for deals (I know you can set up an alert for revenue deals, but never seen one for miles)?
3. Anyone have any suggestions for getting the miles flight and revenue flight on the same plane? For some reason, I've found that low award redemptions and cheap revenue don't seem to line up well.

Any help people can suggest would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:40 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Use award nexus it can camp it out for you
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If FCO is your destination don't overlook Alitalia award inventory. One needs to call to book it.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I know Alitalia flies out of Boston, Chicago, JFK, and MIA so you could look at trying to get to one of those cities, or even buy a paid fare to get you there. Also think they fly out of YYZ.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Whatever you do, make sure that you are scheduled to arrive at least one full day before your cruise departs.

Whether you want travel insurance is debatable as I suspect that you could board your cruise at the next port at your own expense if needed.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by roknroll
I know Alitalia flies out of Boston, Chicago, JFK, and MIA so you could look at trying to get to one of those cities, or even buy a paid fare to get you there. Also think they fly out of YYZ.
There should be a lot of flights and cheap fares from STL to ORD/MDW including AA and WN. On DL, it's probably all MSP or DTW connections.

BOS/JFK/MIA would be awkward connections on DL (is there DLConnection service between STL and JFK for TATL connections?) but there should be good service on AA, albeit this would mean purchasing a separate and fairly expensive ticket (hub to hub on AA without much competition).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There should be a lot of flights and cheap fares from STL to ORD/MDW including AA and WN. On DL, it's probably all MSP or DTW connections.
Delta's STL-JFK could be handy connecting to AZ JFK-FCO. It's presently recognized as a valid (and time efficient) connection.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta's STL-JFK could be handy connecting to AZ JFK-FCO. It's presently recognized as a valid (and time efficient) connection.
Please read the next paragraph of my post, the part that was omitted from the quote.

Are the flights you mention between STL and JFK mainline or RJ? IIRC they would require a terminal change at JFK, so it's not the most convenient option, but AZ at ORD would use the T5 separate international terminal.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
Wow.

You guys are awesome; thanks for all the advice!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by edymsn
You guys are awesome;
While that may be true, please remember that your departure is more than 15 months away, and I believe schedules are not even loaded until 330 days or so before departure.

Additionally, schedules are always subject to change at any time, as is substitution of aircraft. If you book 11 months out, there is a very strong likelihood that you experience at least one change in both directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.