Wiki Posts
Search

Party of 5, comp upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Question Party of 5, comp upgrade question

So there are 5 of us traveling: PM, GM, FO and two people with no status. We're all on one reservation.

I've just checked in and iPhone app shows me that only three of us (people with status) are on the upgrade list. Delta.com shows "standby requested" for all of us.

I've made two calls to platinum line. First rep said that everything is ok and that there must be a glitch in the app (which I think is unlikely), second rep immediately said that only one companion is allowed per status, and when I explained our combination she put me on hold for, like, 10 minutes and still was very confused; I didn't feel certainty about the situation in her voice.

So anyone has a clue what's happening? I know we have small chance, but there are currently 10 F seats available for 1.5 hr flight and it would be very nice to score this for whole party.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
You might need to split the reservations up for it to work.

I would advise linking like this

PM-no status companion
GM-no status companion
FO

I think this would maximize your chances of getting the most seats up front, but if you all want to stay together in one class then it could be messy.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lax555

PM-no status companion
GM-no status companion
FO

I think this would maximize your chances of getting the most seats up front, but if you all want to stay together in one class then it could be messy.
Yeah, I know about splitting, but don't want to do it - all or nothing. So no chance for us? What I don't understand: is it possible situation when three of us are upgraded and the rest are not in case we're in one reservation? If no (and I guess the answer is no), then why are some of us in UG list? And why delta.com shows standby? Aaarrrgh! So complicated!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by lax555

PM-no status companion
GM-no status companion
FO

This is the best advice. 10 open seats doesn't mean anything, what is the routing, is it within 5 days etc. I have seen 10 seats shrink to none between 5days and gate because of FCM.

And why would you make 2 suffer for the other 3.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
This is the best advice. 10 open seats doesn't mean anything, what is the routing, is it within 5 days etc. I have seen 10 seats shrink to none between 5days and gate because of FCM.

And why would you make 2 suffer for the other 3.
Suffer, seriously?
We just want to sit together, no matter where. BTW, the route isn't medallion heavy (IME even silvers score upgrades in advance).
I guess it's better to move on. Oh well. We'll see how it goes.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by naranjero
Suffer, seriously?
We just want to sit together, no matter where. BTW, the route isn't medallion heavy (IME even silvers score upgrades in advance).
I guess it's better to move on. Oh well. We'll see how it goes.
OK, even if all 5 of you were upgraded it is physically impossible for you to be sitting ALL together. I would rather have a couple of family members have the benefits of F than say all must cram into coach. Can even draw straws for who gets up front, or give it to those who have never experienced it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
OK, even if all 5 of you were upgraded it is physically impossible for you to be sitting ALL together. I would rather have a couple of family members have the benefits of F than say all must cram into coach. Can even draw straws for who gets up front, or give it to those who have never experienced it.
Jeez, cram to coach... Anyway, I got your point. Still, we prefer to seat together. The question is not about that.

Last edited by naranjero; Jul 28, 2014 at 1:26 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum
I'd say your best chance to all sit together is to decline the upgrade. I did that once to stay with my companion, and it ended up we both got upgraded anyway. He has no status but does have a Skymiles account. I'm PL.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by naranjero
So there are 5 of us traveling: PM, GM, FO and two people with no status. We're all on one reservation.

I've just checked in and iPhone app shows me that only three of us (people with status) are on the upgrade list. Delta.com shows "standby requested" for all of us.

As we all know, the app isn't always accurate - and if your reservation lists you on the "standby" list, this may not be the upgrade list at all - there are two lists on the iphone and GIDS (usually) and one combined list on a PC.

Second, for a medallion to include a plain SM member as a "companion" for upgrade purposes requires 1. that they be on the same PNR and the request is made online OR that the request be made at least 3 hours before the departure time by phone (required if different PNRs).

The general rule is one companion per PNR (if the same PNR) OR one companion per medallion if separated.

What you have is confusion. Good luck.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Result: 3 of us with status were upgraded, companions not, however there was a space when they were clearing upgrades (but ultimately F went full). Fly app didn't showed our upgrades and showed our coach seats; no screens at the gate; no one gave us a word about F when boarding and we settled in coach, when other people with same seats appeared.
On the second leg we just recieved one upgrade, and again, no sign of it in the app (but screen shows it).
Weird.
Anyway, time to board. Thanks all for your comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.