Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA Stops Man from Boarding for Drinking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM

At zone 3 boarding the GA walks to a young man seated nearby and asks him if he had been drinking. When he replies, "Yes", she tell him, "Sorry, you can't board this flight, but I will re-book you." The man expresses surprise, but doesn't argue. What surprises me is that the man wasn't obviously drunk, and was doing nothing more than having a normal conversation with two other flyers.

I wouldn't in my wildest imagination pegged him as a potential in-flight problem. Probably had a beer somewhere, and was only guilty of being in his 20's and choosing a waiting seat near the gate agent.

I arrived at the gate after first class boarding only because I had to finish my alcoholic drink at the Skyclub. Was at least smart enough not to open my mouth to butt in and argue on the man's behalf.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 27, 2014 at 1:02 pm Reason: flight info redacted to protect the not drunk man
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
On the reality show Airline, one recurring highlight was watching the WN GAs tell over-imbibed passengers they could not board. The WN passengers usually argued and ultimately security would be called.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:54 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Not cool i would be very upset if i had a few beers and denied boarding for that
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Not cool i would be very upset if i had a few beers and denied boarding for that
And the second you open your mouth, you're only proving their point, whether you're drunk or not. Once someone makes the decision you've had too much, there's no talking them out of it.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
was the flight oversold?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like there has to be more to this story. Denying boarding for "drinking"? Was the GA pulling the FC passengers of the plane too after consuming their PDBs (well, the ones that got alcoholic drinks as PDBs)?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I'm also sure there's more to the story since the OP arrived after boarding had already started. There must have been some inappropriate behavior or conversation prior to the OP's arrival.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
To clarify, the GA said "drinking", not "appear intoxicated or drunk.'

I saw those old shows about Southwest Airlines. This was similar except that man did not appear obviously drunk and the GA had less power-trippy attitude.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like there has to be more to this story. Denying boarding for "drinking"? Was the GA pulling the FC passengers of the plane too after consuming their PDBs (well, the ones that got alcoholic drinks as PDBs)?
I agree. There's no way this is the full story. OP, you can't think that's all there was to it, right?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by tkey75
And the second you open your mouth, you're only proving their point, whether you're drunk or not. Once someone makes the decision you've had too much, there's no talking them out of it.
Kind of like when you're being arrested. You can't talk your way out of it, you can only make it worse.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Considering a non-trivial portion of the adult passengers at any given airport for afternoon/evening flights (and probably a few for morning flights as well) are at least buzzed I'm going to support the "something else happened before you got there" theory. If just being a little drunk was enough for an FA to stop someone from boarding, planes to vacation destinations would go out half empty every day.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has maybe 5% of the story and has posted only that. If it's worth posting, it's worth having all of the facts and that's not going to happen.

Something drew the GA's attention to the non-drunk. Something the guy said or did or something somebody else reported to the GA. The question may have been about drinking, but that's not the standard for denying boarding.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Often1
OP has maybe 5% of the story and has posted only that. If it's worth posting, it's worth having all of the facts and that's not going to happen.

Something drew the GA's attention to the non-drunk. Something the guy said or did or something somebody else reported to the GA. The question may have been about drinking, but that's not the standard for denying boarding.
But 5% of the story might provoke emotions and rants.

There's almost always more to the story...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by cfischer
was the flight oversold?
My first thought as well.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
Would it change the scenario if we were told the passenger was a non-rev employee? They may have rules of conduct for their employees when they are flying on the company dime.
IIRC they formerly were required to wear business attire during non-rev travel. Perhaps the rules are simply "no alcohol" since individuals have differing opinions about what amount of booze is reasonable. Having a "zero tolerance" policy avoids the need to negotiate.
Since the traveler gave up so easily (according to OP), it made me think there's something non-sinister going on. Just my two cents...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.