Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Service suspended to SKB, 4/11 - 5/30, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service suspended to SKB, 4/11 - 5/30, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Air Tran, Starwood
Angry Service suspended to SKB, 4/11 - 5/30, 2015

I got a call today from Delta. It seems that they are suspending service to St. Kitts (SKB) in 2015 from 4/11 - 5/30. It would have been nice to have made these dates unavailable to be booked a bit sooner, as I booked the trip back in May, using 45K SkyMiles points per person for my family of 5 to go there from 4/4 to 4/11.

I already have a deposit on a rental house for those dates, and will have to spend over $4,000 in cash to get there via another airline!

So, just a heads-up to those with a trip booked to St Kitts on DL next spring...your bad-news call from Delta is coming next. AARRGGHH!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Did they not offer to put you on another airline?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

No, they did not offer that while on the call that I received earlier today, even though I asked to be placed on another airline for my same dates.

All they offered was to move MY travel dates, to which I replied "sorry, I can't move my kids' school district's Spring Break". When I called the Diamond service line a few moments ago, the rep had to search for the info... and that's how I learned of the service suspension dates. I am going to request that they put me on another airline, but I'll do it in writing, via email.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't this just a matter of returning one day earlier? Is losing a day of spring break vacation worth saving $4000 to you? Everyone would be nice and ready for school to resume, although I guess you would lose a day's worth of the house rental but OTOH no worries about check out times.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

As I recall, service only is scheduled for 1 day a week, on Saturdays. This seemed to be common for many of the Caribbean destinations that DL flies to.

The only option would be to move my whole trip back 1 week... but that would cause the kids to miss a week of school. They'd be fine with that, but it's not an option as far as my wife and I are concerned.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hidefjeff
No, they did not offer that while on the call that I received earlier today, even though I asked to be placed on another airline for my same dates.

All they offered was to move MY travel dates, to which I replied "sorry, I can't move my kids' school district's Spring Break". When I called the Diamond service line a few moments ago, the rep had to search for the info... and that's how I learned of the service suspension dates. I am going to request that they put me on another airline, but I'll do it in writing, via email.
You could also consider a different Caribbean arrival point and then purchase local airline tickets. Less than 4K I would think - maybe Delta would give you a voucher for the inconvenience? SXM comes to mind - probably others as well. The CoC requires they refund your tickets at no cost, anything additional would be a customer service adjustment. I know, it sucks.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

I just submitted an email via the DL site, requesting return tix on AA on 4/11/15. I provided the flight #'s, and was respectful in my words and demeanor. We'll see what that gets me.

I do like your idea, though, and will explore nearby options such as SXM.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:12 pm

I just submitted an email via the DL site, requesting return tix on AA on 4/11/15. I provided the flight #'s, and was respectful in my words and demeanor. We'll see what that gets me.

I do like your idea, though, and will explore nearby options such as SXM.
SXM is a unique arrival airport and the little LIAT island hoppers are a worthwhile experience for a novice (youngster) flier. Spent a week hopscotching around the islands a couple of years ago on a lark. Great fun.

Also, if you do go to SXM, a layover with a visit to Maho Beach is a must do if any of the kids are into watching airplanes up close.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Question

Great suggestions! Thank you. I see that the LIAT flight is only 30 minutes. The cost for the 5 of us to jump over to St Maarten (SXM) in order to return on DL is $2,026 in total. I'd do that on Friday 4/10, just to be safe. What's the chances of DL making this "customer service adjustment"?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:36 pm

Great suggestions! Thank you. I see that the LIAT flight is only 30 minutes. The cost for the 5 of us to jump over to St Maarten (SXM) in order to return on DL is $2,026 in total. I'd do that on Friday 4/10, just to be safe. What's the chances of DL making this "customer service adjustment"?
Another option is to connect through SJU with Seaborne - apparently they have an interline agreement with Delta - not sure if that extends to anything remotely like codeshares. Worth an ask, I suspect.

Note of caution with Liat - they are VERY particular about baggage allowances.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's your status with DL? I wouldn't expect DL to cover over two thousand dollars of tickets on another carrier, but they should be pretty cooperative about changing your return to SXM, even within a day in either direction from your original tickets and even if they need to open inventory in the right class to do so.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
If you pay to get to SXM, DL will most probably just book you on DL flights from there (rather than from SKB). Or, if that won't work, from SJU should. Ask for that, rather than another airline, and you will probably even get some consideration for having to book the SKB-SXM/SJU flight on your own dime.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I am Diamond thru Feb 2015, but will be lucky to achieve any status, moving forward. I've spent the majority of 2014 working from home in ATL on a project, versus the heavy travel I "enjoyed" last year.

All great ideas, everyone- I REALLY appreciate the suggestions and insights!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Nobody likes to spend a lot of time on the phone for reservations but, IMHO, email isn't the way to get this done. Phone. Ask for a supervisor if needed.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, 3Cforme... I hear ya. Lots of options...I'll get them all lined up before I call again. The CSR I spoke to earlier on the Diamond line was of little assistance, but everyone here has added some great insights that I can present as options when I do go ahead, and make that call...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.