Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger seated behind me

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, National Executive Elite
Passenger seated behind me

I was on a flight last week from LAX - BNA. I decided about 2 1/2 hours into the flight to take a nap, so I let my seat back. I usually don't do this, but have had some health issues and really didn't feel well. When I did this, the woman behind me immediately began cursing, slammed her computer down on her tray table and then slammed her tray table closed 3 times as hard as she could. She never said anyting to me, just continued to curse. Then she she took her bag out from under her seat and threw it on the top of my seat, hitting me in the head. She kept this up for about 10 minutes. I never acknowleged her and never moved my seat. I know that I will be beaten up for not putting my seat up, but I chose to ignore her. I would have moved it up had she asked and been at least reasonable about it. I thought about getting the FA involved, but decided that it might make the situation worse. I thought about telling her that I am having heart issues, which is true, but figured she wouldn't care. I just needed to tell my story - thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:50 pm

The age old quandary, is it your right to recline or the person behind's right to have space to work....IBTL

I should add that reclined or not, the other person was way out of line.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Can you imagine being the person sitting next to that woman? I guess this is why some planes end up diverting. Person needs to get her anger issues checked out.

Having said that, if I ride coach, I'm always under the assumption that whoever is in front of me will recline. The person paid for the seat and can do what they want with it. It's kinda like WFBF... want more space, buy EC or First.

It is what it is.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's always nice to look behind you to make sure you don't crush a laptop when you recline, but you still have the right to recline.

Probably best not to engage with the wacko once she started cursing.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, National Executive Elite
The girl sitting next to me stopped me after we landed

She apologized for her seatmate's behavior. I think she was scared of her. She asked me why I didn't call the FA - I told her I didn't want to divert. Like I said, I usually don't put my seat back, but did this time.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Delta coach - it's impossible to use a laptop there. Barely in EC also.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Your seat, your recline. You paid good money for that seat and are entitled to do as you wish.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
You did absolutely nothing wrong. You have every right to recline your seat. You're a better man than me. I would have had the woman charged with assault.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As soon as she hit me deliberately with her bag, I would have held onto the bag and called for the FA. You could have been seriously injured. This goes beyond kicking your seat and swearing.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As soon as she hit me deliberately with her bag, I would have held onto the bag and called for the FA. You could have been seriously injured. This goes beyond kicking your seat and swearing.
+1 on the above. I would have ignored the tray table and cursing but the minute the bag came over the top of the seat onto my head, it would have been grabbed. Call button pushed immediately.

You did absolutely nothing wrong and this childish reaction from the woman behind is completely unacceptable. You handled it well, IMO. Better than I may have. And please stop apologizing and trying to explain and rationalize why you reclined. No explanation or rationale is needed. Your seat reclines, you chose to do so. It doesn't matter why, you are allowed. So please don't feel guilty in any way whatsoever.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:58 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by southernmom
I was on a flight last week from LAX - BNA. I decided about 2 1/2 hours into the flight to take a nap, so I let my seat back. I usually don't do this, but have had some health issues and really didn't feel well. When I did this, the woman behind me immediately began cursing, slammed her computer down on her tray table and then slammed her tray table closed 3 times as hard as she could. She never said anyting to me, just continued to curse. Then she she took her bag out from under her seat and threw it on the top of my seat, hitting me in the head. She kept this up for about 10 minutes. I never acknowleged her and never moved my seat. I know that I will be beaten up for not putting my seat up, but I chose to ignore her. I would have moved it up had she asked and been at least reasonable about it. I thought about getting the FA involved, but decided that it might make the situation worse. I thought about telling her that I am having heart issues, which is true, but figured she wouldn't care. I just needed to tell my story - thanks!
Props to you for keeping your cool! 10 min of being beaten on my head, don't know if I would have remained so calm lol.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I would have called the FA for sure. Cursing is one thing ... I can ignore that ... everything else you describe should have been met by a FAM in flight or the police upon arrival.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:47 pm

Some people will come on here to complain about any mildly bad experience. I think we've all experienced rude passengers. To be honest, if an annoying pax stopped after 10 minutes like this one did, I'd be positively gleeful. and FYI, someone closing their seat-back tray with a little more force than necessary is not grounds for a flight diversion...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did the FA say when you complained and showed her the bag? This is what crew are there for and if you didn't raise it, it couldn't have been that important.

Why you reclined is none of anybody's business. You reclined because you wanted to. Other pax needs more room, she can buy a second seat in front of her or fly F.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by southernmom
...hitting me in the head. She kept this up for about 10 minutes.
I thought about getting the FA involved, but decided that it might make the situation worse.
Don't get me wrong but someone hitting you in your head for 10 minutes and you worry about the situation getting worse?

+ difficult to accept that no other pax or FA reacted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.