Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta in-flight crew still doesn't know the rule about tablet use gate-to-gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

I'm wondering how often others have ran into this type of experience on Delta:

I experienced a badly trained flight flight attendant on DL942 (BOS to LAX) on Jul 24 named Maureen.

She asked me to turn off my tablet during descent. When I questioned her, she claimed the rule about small portable devices only applied to phones and not tablets. I double checked sky magazine on page 131 where it clearly outlines that tablets are allowed while in the US (regardless of phase of flight or altitude). However, she was absolutely sure she knew better. I figured best not to argue.

I've been on many flights since the rule change allowing electronics gate-to-gate and it seems most of the cabin crew knows the rules well.

I'm sure this seems petty, but my ability to use electronic devices (and wifi) inflight are a major factor in my airline choice. Clearly airlines recognize this, as they've worked hard to add wifi across their fleets and changed the small electronic devices rule last year.

I emailed customer service but got one of those "oh we're sorry" emails with no teeth. I was expecting (and asked them to) make sure someone clarified to rule with the FA to avoid future issues for future travelers. I guess that's too much to ask for.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ttar
I'm wondering how often others have ran into this type of experience on Delta:

I experienced a badly trained flight flight attendant on DL942 (BOS to LAX) on Jul 24 named Maureen.

She asked me to turn off my tablet during descent. When I questioned her, she claimed the rule about small portable devices only applied to phones and not tablets. I double checked sky magazine on page 131 where it clearly outlines that tablets are allowed while in the US (regardless of phase of flight or altitude). However, she was absolutely sure she knew better. I figured best not to argue.

I've been on many flights since the rule change allowing electronics gate-to-gate and it seems most of the cabin crew knows the rules well.

I'm sure this seems petty, but my ability to use electronic devices (and wifi) inflight are a major factor in my airline choice. Clearly airlines recognize this, as they've worked hard to add wifi across their fleets and changed the small electronic devices rule last year.

I emailed customer service but got one of those "oh we're sorry" emails with no teeth. I was expecting (and asked them to) make sure someone clarified to rule with the FA to avoid future issues for future travelers. I guess that's too much to ask for.
Write back and escalate the complaint. It sounds like you already reported the FA's name, flight number and date, so it should be easy for DL to make sure that this FA gets the message.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Smile

FA probably does not know the difference between a laptop and a tablet. Suggest that she watch the safety video.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:26 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Did you have any peripherals like a keyboard attached to the tablet that might make her think it was a laptop?

Since the rule changed I have had zero instances where I couldn't use my tablet and/or phone from gate to gate.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
since the change I have not encountered this issue. In fact they have become very tolerant to even mobile phones. They never seem to ask if the device is in Airplane mode. They do make the announcement but don't ask.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been on international flights where pursers announced very clearly that they were aware of the changes in policy for domestic flights, but this didn't apply to our flight due to regulations of the other country.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm sorry...no matter who you think you are, you have no control over DL HR and how they handle the situation (nor are you entitled to know the outcome). Period.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I'm sorry...no matter who you think you are, you have no control over DL HR and how they handle the situation (nor are you entitled to know the outcome). Period.
I had the opposite experience. I was informed of what happened to an MEM gate agent who tried to cheat me out of an upgrade. The only way to make Delta enforce their own policies is to punish the employees who violate them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC

Since no one else will say this , welcome to FlyerTalk ttar! ^

Before the rule change, most people didn’t turn off their devices anyway. Yes, FA’s tried to enforce it but few really followed the rules. Enter the FAA (finally!) and now we should be able to keep phones/tablets on gate-to-gate on DL dom flts. Key word is should.

Yes, your complaint is petty but DL sets the rules and this one certainly can be applied consistently. Obviously this FA needs a refresher. Maybe not a first world problem but worthy of bringing it to the attention of DL just like you did. Might not have the 'teeth' you want but if DL believes this is an issue, they will take it up directly with the FA. Can't ask for more than that.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
It amazes me how some people can't let little things go. So the flight attendant got it wrong. Made you turn your tablet off. Is it that big of a deal? You had to email Delta to report her?

I don't know how some of you function in this imperfect world.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moxielady
It amazes me how some people can't let little things go. So the flight attendant got it wrong. Made you turn your tablet off. Is it that big of a deal? You had to email Delta to report her?

But we have to think of it in terms of how many passengers she has inconvenienced and how many passengers in the future she will inconvenience. Flight attendants are not allowed to just make up their own rules. She just needs to be reminded of the rules and hopefully she will perform her job better in the future. If not, then she should probably face consequences.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by moxielady

Yes it is a big deal. If she was wrong once, she'll be wrong again because of what she believes to be correct. so why not give her a refresher on the rules, or she might make another passenger turn their tablet off when they are obviously allowed to use it. Why not report her so she is correctly trained and won't give false information to more passengers.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a mountain out of a mole hill.

OP actually signed up and joined FT not merely to complain about one single FA on a not so critical issue, but he actually complained to DL and got an apology and comes to FT to complain that apparently it wasn't enough of an apology.

Gimme a break.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:15 pm

I recommend that you be judicious about registering complaints about DL staffers, as DL appears to be adopting the WN policy of sticking up for its employees when they are subject to complaints like this.

Specifically, what real harm did you experience? Not being able to use your tablet for 10 or 15 minutes. Hardly earth shattering!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Emirates202
Yes it is a big deal. If she was wrong once, she'll be wrong again because of what she believes to be correct. so why not give her a refresher on the rules, or she might make another passenger turn their tablet off when they are obviously allowed to use it. Why not report her so she is correctly trained and won't give false information to more passengers.
I'd like some clarification from the OP. Did the FA ask you to turn off the tablet or did she ask you to stow it for takeoff? The FARs address both. If it was an AND request, arguable she was within the rules. The question has become, how large of a device needs to be stowed based on projectile safety. One cutoff based on seat back pockets is cited as 3 pounds. My iPad weighs 2 pounds.

Just asking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.