Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC F/J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
SDC F/J

Hi All,

Looking for some insight on the SDC policy... I have a paid F class ticket in the premium cabin. I was trying to SDC today and was told that you cannot SDC from F to J or J to F unless the ticket is already mixed fare. The website says that if a seat is available in the premium cabin, you are eligible to SDC to it. However, it doesn't say that you have to be still in F or J... Have any of you had this issue? And if so, what is your understanding of the policy?

Regards,

mbwmbw
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I have no idea what the official policy is, but I'm wondering if the J flight was one that just marketed as J but is really a domestic F cabin, or if it was something like trying to SDC from LAX-SLC-JFK to LAX-JFK, where you're going from a standard domestic F cabin to a BE cabin. I can see why DL would want to restrict that, but if it's just a case a flight number shared by an international flight but not really a BE cabin, then I think it's silly if this is the policy.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Hi All,

Looking for some insight on the SDC policy... I have a paid F class ticket in the premium cabin. I was trying to SDC today and was told that you cannot SDC from F to J or J to F unless the ticket is already mixed fare. The website says that if a seat is available in the premium cabin, you are eligible to SDC to it. However, it doesn't say that you have to be still in F or J... Have any of you had this issue? And if so, what is your understanding of the policy?

Regards,

mbwmbw
Why don't you reach out to one of your many personal senior level DL contacts and ask them?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
This sounds like something a few rounds of HUCA would fix.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IF there's a problem in doing this--and AFAIK there isn't--it would be situations where the passenger is trying to change onto one of the JFK transcons which offer genuine BE light or alternatively in attempting to switch from something like ATL-LAX-HNL to ATL-HNL on the A330 nonstop. Otherwise, whether it's called first or business is just an accident of domestic flight numbers.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IF there's a problem in doing this--and AFAIK there isn't--it would be situations where the passenger is trying to change onto one of the JFK transcons which offer genuine BE light or alternatively in attempting to switch from something like ATL-LAX-HNL to ATL-HNL on the A330 nonstop. Otherwise, whether it's called first or business is just an accident of domestic flight numbers.
Not to completely derail this thread, but can you really not SDC to the direct atl-hnl flight? Paid F through LAX and was hoping to switch to get in earlier... thats a super bummer.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thepaul500
Not to completely derail this thread, but can you really not SDC to the direct atl-hnl flight? Paid F through LAX and was hoping to switch to get in earlier... thats a super bummer.
Nope, the direct flight is considered a BE type flight in terms of booking. You even get the A330 which is BE equipped on the direct. All flights through LAX or West coast are generally single aisle non-BE equipped.

You can ask, and especially if there's any type of issues with the LAX flights they might be willing, be they don't have to do anything.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I have SDC'd BOS-ATL-SEA in paid F (G A P fare) to BOS-JFK-SEA. I'm not sure if my ticket was JFK-ATL-SEA that I could have SDC'd to a direct since the fare rules might not allow that direct routing.

However, given that this thread was started by mbwmbw, I suspect this is another joke thread to get a rise out of us. You can definitely SDC from an LAX-ATL flight that is marketed as F to, say, DL 80 which is marketed as J.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Even earlier this year when SDC in the premium cabin required availability in the same fare class, it was possible to switch from First to Business and vice versa. I can't see how the removal of the fare class requirements could have restricted this ability. AdamDunn32 posted the F<->J fare class mapping in the big SDC thread:

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Do you have the mapping from J fares to F fares?

David
F/J
P/D (sometimes C)
A/I
G/Z

All of the UP fares have coded in the coach class of service, Domestic First, and International BE. For example a S Up Fare would typically have S,D,P coded with the fare, which acknowledges the eligible classes of service.
Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
All but P -->C/D are fixed. P will point to C for YUP fares but D for everything else.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:44 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Gotta ask -

Flying an (A) and a (K) because there is no first available on the second leg. I want to try to book into a (D) (S) later that day. Using the first flight at the day to try to beat make sure I catch the availability. Am I crazy?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've been seeing some bad info from agents regarding SDC in the premium cabin lately. There should be no restriction on SDC from a flight in F to one where it is marketed as J. The only exception might be those instances described where you actually change from a domestic equipment to one that is marketed as and has real BE equipment. None of that crazy mapping applies any more since you just need an available seat in the cabin, not specific inventory.

Otherwise, if you want to fly ATL-LAX for example and you have a P ticket and the other flight has D then you should be able to switch.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fintheman
Gotta ask -

Flying an (A) and a (K) because there is no first available on the second leg. I want to try to book into a (D) (S) later that day. Using the first flight at the day to try to beat make sure I catch the availability. Am I crazy?
You can't SDC from K->S, that would be standby only...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is one where we need OP's itinerary. On what was he booked and onto what did he try to SDC?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Why don't you reach out to one of your many personal senior level DL contacts and ask them?
Maybe...he's on their ignore list.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
I haven't tried switching to a transcon/true J yet. BUT, I've had no issue going back and forth from F/J or J/F with premium cabin SDC. I've been on more than one mixed itin where one segment is F and one is J and it didn't really matter when it came to premium cabin SDC. The only reason those domestic segments were J in the first place is they are a connecting flight number to/from an international segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.