Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

IDB? DL denied us boarding for domestic flight due to no passports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IDB? DL denied us boarding for domestic flight due to no passports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by United747
My thought is that, if one is flying, say, ORD-MSP-NRT and lives in ORD, wouldn't it be cheaper to deny them boarding in ORD as opposed to letting them fly to MSP then having to send them back to ORD to get passport/visa/whatever in order?
In this case, the OP's home is NYC not PIT. Moreover, if visas are required, there are a lot more consulates in NYC than PIT, so it would be reasonable to make arrangements to retrieve the passport with visas at JFK rather than PIT.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by emrdoc
You think one should carry his/her passport on all trips, even domestic itineraries? How about theft or lose?
I use my passport for ID during domestic travel because I don't want to show my home address to TSA employees when they know I'll be away. For a while I tried to use key GE card, but that took too much time because most TSA employees didn't recognize it or argued that it wasn't acceptable ID.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I use my passport for ID during domestic travel because I don't want to show my home address to TSA employees when they know I'll be away.
You can't possibly be serious about this, can you?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I use my passport for ID during domestic travel because I don't want to show my home address to TSA employees when they know I'll be away. For a while I tried to use key GE card, but that took too much time because most TSA employees didn't recognize it or argued that it wasn't acceptable ID.
Given the record of TSA employees being thieves or other kinds of criminals, I'm not surprised that some cautious people concerned about burglaries, "identity theft", and/or stalkers (especially at or around their home airports) would rather use ID that doesn't have a home address on it than an ID that facilitates theft/stalker opportunities.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
You can't possibly be serious about this, can you?
Absolutely. I try very hard to avoid showing my home address to TSA employees. It increases my security at virtually no cost or inconvenience to me. Why should I tell random strangers where I live? Especially when they then know that I'll be out of town for a while? I wouldn't announce my future travel plans and specific home address in a bar either.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:40 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given the record of TSA employees being thieves or other kinds of criminals, I'm not surprised that some cautious people concerned about burglaries, "identity theft", and/or stalkers (especially at or around their home airports) would rather use ID that doesn't have a home address on it than an ID that facilitates theft/stalker opportunities.
Why have your address on your driver's license at all. There has to be a time when you turn it over (car rental, hotel, purchase ID) to someone to review. I found out a long time ago, if you want to be more private, best to have a PO BOX listed on any identifying materials. Also, helps when someone asks for your address, you just give the PO BOX. Luckily, my US address is a small town; so I was even able to get a two digit PO BOX #. Makes things super easy, when giving your (USA) address to someone for verification. (some prefer to also use mail box rental facilities, but I still like the US Post Office PO BOX for regular mail and identification)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:49 am

AFAIK you must list your actual home address in certain legal forms and documents. MN driver license forms ask for full residence address and there doesn't seem to be an option to have another address show on the license.

I use my office address when I can, especially for anything travel related such as my address on luggage tags.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Why have your address on your driver's license at all.
Short of changing state of residence, it's not necessarily an option for all to use a non-residential address when applying for a DL.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:47 am

Do you think the TSA document checker has the smarts to memorize your address that quickly? :-)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
AFAIK you must list your actual home address in certain legal forms and documents. MN driver license forms ask for full residence address and there doesn't seem to be an option to have another address show on the license.

I use my office address when I can, especially for anything travel related such as my address on luggage tags.
Short of changing state of residence, it's not necessarily an option for all to use a non-residential address when applying for a DL.
I, of course, had to check. Yep, New Hampshire allows the PO BOX on your license as the only address. It just has to be the registered (for registration purpose etc.) address on file. They do also know the "physical address," just not printed on your license.

Had to "pull up" an image of my son's license to verify.

Live Free or Die (PRIVATELY), baby!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:55 am
Suspended

Absolutely. I try very hard to avoid showing my home address to TSA employees. It increases my security at virtually no cost or inconvenience to me.
To each their own, but I work from the assumption that a) most people aren't out to steal from me, and b) that anyone with the sort of photographic memory that would allow them to remember my address from among hundreds of 30 second reviews of licenses could find gainful employment that would better the risk-adjusted returns from being a residential burglar. FWIW, I haven't had anything stolen from me in decades, whether by the TSA or anyone else, so apparently something is working.

As for the inconvenience... As someone that recently lost their passport, I can confirm that replacing a passport is an annoyance that should lead me to limit the amount of time I should have it out of a safe storage location.

I am unaware of any hard evidence showing that there is any sort of significant theft problem among TSA employees that exceeds that of, for example, hotel employees or waitstaff. Moreover, I am unaware of any stories of TSA employees using information on drivers licenses to facilitate either stalking or home burglaries. What I am aware of are a few oft-repeated horror stories that lead people to dramatically overstate their risk.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I, of course, had to check. Yep, New Hampshire allows the PO BOX on your license as the only address. It just has to be the registered (for registration purpose etc.) address on file. They do also know the "physical address," just not printed on your license.

Had to "pull up" an image of my son's license to verify.

Live Free or Die (PRIVATELY), baby!
You cannot use a PO Box in MA. I had to use my buddy's address for years when I was living abroad. They will, however, mail your license to a PO Box.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
You cannot use a PO Box in MA. I had to use my buddy's address for years when I was living abroad. They will, however, mail your license to a PO Box.
Not surprised. There is something strange about New Hampshire's system, and licenses and PO BOXes.... I don't remember the details, but I had to do something when I changed everything to the PO BOX. I think they just keep a record of the "permanent" address in their system.

I had to surrender my NH drivers license for a NL drivers license; so it's not really an issue for me anymore. I mostly use a Passport Card when traveling US Domestic; but I do keep my passport on me, just in case.

No idea if a NL drivers license is a valid TSA ID; but I figure it's not really worth trying, since the Passport Card is so easy and convenient.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emrdoc
But what is the negative to Delta if the passenger lies about getting his passport at the international departure point? The passenger is the one who pays the price...Delta just says "Sorry, you don't have the required documents"

It seems kind of paternalistic to me. We all know it our responsibility to obtain the proper documentation for travel not the airlines. If this is the case, then let us suffer the consequences at the international departure point if we don't have what we need.

It seems ridiculous to not let a passenger fly a domestic flight without a passport.
That's a great question. I think it's because the person in the wrong never really wants to take the blame - they would look for anyone and everyone to pin the blame on. I kinda see it like the whole 787 battery problem. All of the news outlets blamed Boeing for the problem, yet Boeing never even made the battery. The blame should have been put on the battery manufacturer.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
In this case, the OP's home is NYC not PIT. Moreover, if visas are required, there are a lot more consulates in NYC than PIT, so it would be reasonable to make arrangements to retrieve the passport with visas at JFK rather than PIT.
Like I said in an earlier post, with this specific case, I agree, the OP probably should have been allowed onboard the domestic portion. But I think the problem is probably with a blanket Delta rule that does not allow this to take place. They should really look at it from a case by case basis. All the op would have had to do is show a drivers license with a NY address and I would have probably let them on so they could pick up their passports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.