Search

LAX T5 Showers?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA & DL Gold
LAX T5 Showers?

Hey,

Flying through LAX soon with a 4+ hr layover -- I notice that the SkyClub has showers. Has anyone used these? Do you need to reserve them in advance? Are they clean enough to use without shower shoes?

Last time I flew through LAX it was on a Tuesday and it wasn't very busy, I'm thinking it will be busier this go round -- coming off the Saturday SYD flight at 9AM or so, connecting to a mid afternoon flight to the fortress...
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No, you can't reserve them in advance as far as I'm aware. Upon checking in at the SC, just ask to use them. If they're free, you'll go right in, otherwise they have a waiting list that's first come, first served. They're pretty nice and clean - I've never used shower shoes. Much better than, say, the showers at JFK T2.

I think you're right that you'll have more competition for the showers... after the SYD flight, there are sure to be many passengers connecting onward who have SC access and a desire to freshen up after an exceedingly long flight. Be as quick off the plane and through customs/immigration as you can. Given you are arriving at 9A and departing mid-afternoon, I think you've got a very good shot at getting a shower in, but I have previously been there for 3+ hours and my turn never came up before I had to leave for my flight.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Showers are clean, not that many and they are very busy. Make sure when you check in you get your name on the list. Had a travel companion that was #8, and did not get his turn within a 3 hour period. I don't know why people seem to think the showers are a place to take your time.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Thanks for the tips. Worst case scenario I can hold off and get a shower in the fortress, have another 4 hr layover there. Hopefully the ATL showers won't be that busy in the late evening.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by debracey
Thanks for the tips. Worst case scenario I can hold off and get a shower in the fortress, have another 4 hr layover there. Hopefully the ATL showers won't be that busy in the late evening.
The new F SC at ATL seems to have lots of showers. There are also showers in the renovated E lounge, but I've never tried to use them since the time that there were two E SCs (where one was the old BE lounge).
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: DL
I used them a few years back going the other direction. They were very clean. Very red too. I think part of the time people spend in there is to adjust to soooo much red. They seem to do a good job of cleaning them so some people might be taking the opportunity to do everything they would do when confronted with the cleanest, most private bathroom they've seen while traveling.

As for the wait... I was at LAX going in the other direction (LAX->SYD) over a holiday season. I had a 13 hour layover and took a hot and sweaty hike from Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach. I went back to the airport and walked into a mostly empty SC. (Yeah, this really happened! It was empty most of the day while I was there. And wifi wasn't lagging either!) I think I was the only one on the list when I walked in and I still had to wait a little while for a shower. Not sure how long but it was definitely longer than 10 minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
I used them a few years back going the other direction. They were very clean. Very red too. I think part of the time people spend in there is to adjust to soooo much red. They seem to do a good job of cleaning them so some people might be taking the opportunity to do everything they would do when confronted with the cleanest, most private bathroom they've seen while traveling.

As for the wait... I was at LAX going in the other direction (LAX->SYD) over a holiday season. I had a 13 hour layover and took a hot and sweaty hike from Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach. I went back to the airport and walked into a mostly empty SC. (Yeah, this really happened! It was empty most of the day while I was there. And wifi wasn't lagging either!) I think I was the only one on the list when I walked in and I still had to wait a little while for a shower. Not sure how long but it was definitely longer than 10 minutes.
Isn't it worth a ten minute wait to have someone clean the shower well before you use it?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it worth a ten minute wait to have someone clean the shower well before you use it?
Oh, sure. It would be (and it was definitely a lot longer than that, more like a half hour) but I kind of got the vibe that there wasn't even anyone using them when I walked in.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL FO
When I was there last month, I remember seeing something stating they clean them between each use. Which is great, but it will obviously limit how fast until the next person can use it.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've used the LAX shower 3 times, never waited more than 30 minutes. It doesn't sound like that is the norm, but at least some example that it isn't always a dire situation.

They are nice, definitely surprised me considering how rough around the edges the club is.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by debracey
Hey,

Flying through LAX soon with a 4+ hr layover -- I notice that the SkyClub has showers. Has anyone used these? Do you need to reserve them in advance? Are they clean enough to use without shower shoes?

Last time I flew through LAX it was on a Tuesday and it wasn't very busy, I'm thinking it will be busier this go round -- coming off the Saturday SYD flight at 9AM or so, connecting to a mid afternoon flight to the fortress...
I was there twice in April after long flights. Once, right when the Sky Club opened, it was spotless. (I slept overnight on benches in the airport after arriving around midnight.) The other time the shower was filthy with body hair clearly visible. I complained, the front desk agent came back and brought the cleaner, who swore it was clean. He then just picked up the hair with his hands -- right in front of us! -- and said, "OK, good to go." The front desk agent was incensed and I felt sorry for him -- he was an older chap with glasses -- and it seemed to generally ruin his day. I refused to go back in because I wasn't assured of its cleanliness. I was sitting near the TV and could hear him talking about it for a good 25 minutes with his colleagues. They were all complaining about how bad the male cleaners are at the LAX Sky Club.

If you have rubber flip-flops, wear them. I often put one of the two towels down and stand on it. I also never sit on the toilet.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
I don't know why people seem to think the showers are a place to take your time.
I think 20-25 minutes per person is reasonable. Ten minutes or so to undress, shower, re-dress. Another 5-10 minutes to go bathroom, shave, brush teeth and so forth. And then probably 10 minutes to thoroughly clean.

I'm surprised they don't implement automatic cleaning technology for the showers akin to what some of the public, single-person toilets on streets in Europe use, where it washes itself after each use. Then all the cleaner would have to do is wipe the floor or remove any hair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.