Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Expanding Sweetwater 420 Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

Delta's Twitter account announced today that Sweetwater 420 will now be catered on ATL-DCA/FLL/IAD/LGA/MCO/MIA/MSY/TPA. Previously it was limited to ATL-LGA. Here's the link to the announcement.

I, for one, am happy to see this. I assume it will replace Corona which is what it replaced on the ATL-LGA flights.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if I indulged in beer rather than Woodford on the jets, this would be good news indeed ... Sweetwater 420 is a very nice brew
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
if I indulged in beer rather than Woodford on the jets, this would be good news indeed ... Sweetwater 420 is a very nice brew
I'm normally a Woodford drinker as well, but that is partly due to the previously poor beer selection. Sometimes I tend to drink neat bourbon too quickly, so having a beer to sip for the majority of the flight might be a better option under some circumstances. I'll definitely order one on my flight into DCA this weekend just because the in-flight availability is new.

Interestingly, this comes right on the heels of UA's announcement this week that they will roll out Goose Island 312 system-wide. Sweetwater is the better beer, but obviously DL's rollout is much more limited.

Speaking of DCA, I'll send you a PM.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Oh man, not PHL? I just started a weekly commute there and 420 is one of my favorites at home.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:02 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Sweetwater rocks!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat75, MR Plat, UA Silver, GE/NEXUS
Was hoping this post was going to say something about the west coast, or even the LAX Sky Club. We have Sierra Nevada between LAX/SFO but I'd prefer a Sweetwater.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
...if it good enough for the $29 Skyclub upcharge...

Originally Posted by Spiff
Sweetwater rocks!
I mean if it is good enough for the $29 Skyclub (#SkunkyGate) up-charge shouldn't it be good enough for Delta jets?

Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Delta Points
I mean if it is good enough for the $29 Skyclub (#SkunkyGate) up-charge shouldn't it be good enough for Delta jets?

Last time flying MSP ATL, Sweetwater was available on the flight for free in F, got to the new F SkyClub and they wanted to charge for it, go figure.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Sweetwater is the better beer, but obviously DL's rollout is much more limited.
This is primarily because Sweetwater has a much smaller production and distribution footprint than Goose Island, and that was even before Goose Island was purchased by Anheuser-Busch. I'd be surprised if Sweetwater's logistics would ever allow it to be distributed system-wide on Delta, even domestically.

Delta would be better off by providing regional specialties from their hubs/major focus cities; each hub/focus city is close to a microbrewery as large or larger than Sweetwater, so logistically this should be possible. Most of the larger craft breweries now have canning lines, or will very shortly.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TheMoose
This is primarily because Sweetwater has a much smaller production and distribution footprint than Goose Island, and that was even before Goose Island was purchased by Anheuser-Busch. I'd be surprised if Sweetwater's logistics would ever allow it to be distributed system-wide on Delta, even domestically.

Delta would be better off by providing regional specialties from their hubs/major focus cities; each hub/focus city is close to a microbrewery as large or larger than Sweetwater, so logistically this should be possible. Most of the larger craft breweries now have canning lines, or will very shortly.
The distribution laws in GA are relatively absurd, which puts the damper on how far and wide most of our breweries can spread.

That said, I don't think there's any reason DL couldn't offer it on all of their ex-ATL flights, it's just something that Sweetwater would need to push with their distributor who would then need to push with DL.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMoose

I agree with all this and didn't mean to imply that DL could serve Sweetwater system-wide. I was part of a discussion on the UA-Goose Island thread about how nice it would be for DL to offer Bells on DTW flights. It would be great if they could have a local brewery for each hub whose beers were featured on flights to and from that hub.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Probably worth taking a good look at your drinking situation when a beer type change excites you.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Probably worth taking a good look at your drinking situation when a beer type change excites you.
Eh. I enjoy having a drink or two on the way home from a long work week, and while Woodford is nice, sometimes (especially during the summer), nothing quite beats a nice cold beer.

Having preferences and exercising moderation aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, I'd say it's quite a bit more important to desire quality beverages when you only have one or two at a time. (And no, I don't consider Miller, Corona, or Heiniken to be quality beverages.)
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Really? I happen to enjoy good beer. I brew my own beer as a hobby. I visit breweries when I travel to taste different beers. I pair beer with food like many people pair wine with food.

I'm a beer enthusiast, but that doesn't mean I drink it to get drunk. (I do get drunk on occasion, but that's more the exception than the rule). I do enjoy having a slight buzz, but I rarely if ever have more than one drink on a weeknight unless I'm on vacation. Since I'm usually flying on the weekend and taking public transportation or being picked up at my destination I don't see the problem with having a couple drinks as long as I'm not tying one on or disturbing my fellow passengers.

Cheers!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:34 am

The current offerings are crap, IMO, so a change in beer selection for the better is a win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.