Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Lowers Medallion Status Challenge Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Lowers Medallion Status Challenge Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
any updates on turn-around times for this request? i have my travel mapped out to complete a challenge between October 1-December 31, but i have to have it be approved for a trip starting on October 12th and the last one ending on December 29th, so my wiggle room window is minimal. i plan to submit the documents on September 30th early AM and hoping they have no problem approving it in time to hit the PM upgrade windows for my October 12th trip.
It often can take 3-4 weeks turnaround, but there's no way to know for sure. I absolutely would not wait until September 30th to submit it.

If I were you I would submit it now but try asking for it not to go into effect until Oct 1. When I submitted mine they sent me back an email for clarification, so it seems like real people read these and they may be able to accommodate requests.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
any updates on turn-around times for this request? i have my travel mapped out to complete a challenge between October 1-December 31, but i have to have it be approved for a trip starting on October 12th and the last one ending on December 29th, so my wiggle room window is minimal. i plan to submit the documents on September 30th early AM and hoping they have no problem approving it in time to hit the PM upgrade windows for my October 12th trip.
About a week for a simple case, so your plan seems sound to me.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by vatali
My status match happened this weekend as well. I start my 25 segment run (26 actually) in 2 weeks. will be interesting to see how it compares to exec plat
Well, 2 weeks in , here are my results

1st outbound, upgraded at the 5 day mark. 1st return, seat assignment lost, sat in last row, middle. seat was assigned as I got to the gate. Was told that was all that was left.

2nd outbound, upgraded at 5 day mark. 2nd return, upgraded at 24 hour mark

3rd outbound, upgraded at purchase. return is in a few days.

When attempting to SDS on 1st return, was asked for the 50 bucks. asked if status mattered, she said maybe, then walked away to help several others, then returned to notice plat and said she would help, but the flight was full. then I had the fun of my next flight not having a seat and getting the last row....
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by matthew64832
It often can take 3-4 weeks turnaround, but there's no way to know for sure. I absolutely would not wait until September 30th to submit it.

If I were you I would submit it now but try asking for it not to go into effect until Oct 1. When I submitted mine they sent me back an email for clarification, so it seems like real people read these and they may be able to accommodate requests.
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
About a week for a simple case, so your plan seems sound to me.
interesting variation in feedback and opinions. i think my case is simple, should be at least...i'm 1K on UA that expires in Jan 2015...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
interesting variation in feedback and opinions. i think my case is simple, should be at least...i'm 1K on UA that expires in Jan 2015...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...hread-106.html

There is a thread about this. Someone reported mid-may that it took 2.5 weeks to get a response. Someone else reported early July that they got a response in 1 day (!?!) If you go back you will see the vast majority of reports are in the 2-3 week range. There are plenty of posts to read if you want more data.

I certainly won't tell you that you definitely won't receive a response within 1 week, but based on the data available it would seem improbable.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by matthew64832
thank you for the helpful thread link!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
To be a little clearer on my experience...

1) Submitted request via webform, but missed the bit about parallel submission of proof via fax (it all looked so easy ).

2) About 4-5 days later got email telling me of my error and asking for proof. Sent camera phone pic of current status card by return email.

3) 2 days later got confirmation of PM match via email ^.

In case it helps, the email address that sent the request for proof and then acted upon that promptly was ContactUs[dot]Delta[at]delta[dot]com.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I booked a return flight from NYC > LHR.

I booked via Delta.com but it seems one of the legs is on Virgin.

Will this count towards the challenge or not?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I booked a return flight from NYC > LHR.

I booked via Delta.com but it seems one of the legs is on Virgin.

Will this count towards the challenge or not?
I've never done a challenge, but I clicked on the DL.com page linked in the first post in this thread. An excerpt from the T&Cs:

Valid on flights operated by Delta or Delta Connection. Travel on Award Tickets does not qualify for this offer. Other restrictions may apply. Offer subject to change without notice.
Did you book yesterday (28 Oct) or today (29 Oct)? If so, you should be able to cancel or change at no cost. The risk free cancellation policy is valid until midnight the day after booking.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I hope I'm posting in right place. I don't really know what a challenge is or anything about status matches, even though I am a travel consultant. I was with CO since 2000 or before, and am now an unhappy UA Gold member. I will end this year with 63,000 miles, making me Gold with UA for next year. I fly mostly Domestic, about every 4 weeks. I took one European trip this year and paid 1st Class for Hawaii and for my last Vegas trip.

B/c of the merger, I have to take an ERJ or CRJ to ORD or EWR or, preferably, IAH to get to most of my destinations. I fly to LAS and CUN about 4-5 times a year each. I have one UK trip a year and try for Hawaii as often as possible.

I detest the small regional jets and the changes that gave me less miles per year even though I'm flying to the same destinations and spending MORE money. I'm unhappy with the jets w/o IFE and decent meals.

DTW is a Delta hub so I AM strongly considering a status match, but it sure sounds difficult! I thought all one had to do was transfer miles. I'm sadly mistaken!

Is it too late in the year to do this? What is the best time? I will have my trips done next month with December off. I was hoping to start next year with Delta but now I'm pretty confused. Is it better to wait? What exactly must I do? I am looking at AA too, but figured Delta would be better b/c of the hub.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I hope I'm posting in right place. I don't really know what a challenge is or anything about status matches, even though I am a travel consultant. I was with CO since 2000 or before, and am now an unhappy UA Gold member. I will end this year with 63,000 miles, making me Gold with UA for next year. I fly mostly Domestic, about every 4 weeks. I took one European trip this year and paid 1st Class for Hawaii and for my last Vegas trip.

B/c of the merger, I have to take an ERJ or CRJ to ORD or EWR or, preferably, IAH to get to most of my destinations. I fly to LAS and CUN about 4-5 times a year each. I have one UK trip a year and try for Hawaii as often as possible.

I detest the small regional jets and the changes that gave me less miles per year even though I'm flying to the same destinations and spending MORE money. I'm unhappy with the jets w/o IFE and decent meals.

DTW is a Delta hub so I AM strongly considering a status match, but it sure sounds difficult! I thought all one had to do was transfer miles. I'm sadly mistaken!

Is it too late in the year to do this? What is the best time? I will have my trips done next month with December off. I was hoping to start next year with Delta but now I'm pretty confused. Is it better to wait? What exactly must I do? I am looking at AA too, but figured Delta would be better b/c of the hub.

I'm not sure a status challenge is going to be the way to go. It does not appear you fly frequent enough to be able to get in enough travel during the challenge time frame.

Also, it looks as though as a UA loyalist, you are getting extra qualifying miles because of your need to through EWR and IAH to get to your destinations from DTW. With DL, those would most likely be directs which will earn less miles.

Looks like you maybe in tough spot.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thaliajen

Exactly what do you mean when you say that you are a travel consultant? Is this a fancy title for a travel agent or do you mean that you are a traveling consultant, namely a management consultant who travels?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I'm a freelance writer turned consultant, I do everything from advise companies about possible convention sites to writing brochures. A lot of technical writing is involved. When my son was born I started doing this freelance and I travel approximately a week a year. Not exactly exciting but I keep busy.

Anyone have any answers regarding the status matching?

Is the challenge the only way to status match?

Thanks!!!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
I would say forgo the status challenge, since you do not travel enough to meet the requirement to travel 12,500 miles or 15 segments in 90 days. You could go on a mileage run to obtain this target, but another option is to save that money and buy the perks that come with status:
-spend 100$ on global entry. Gets you through Immigration quick when you return from abroad, and it gives you access to TSA pre. Faster than the priority security lane.
-buy up to Economy comfort. this gives you more space, and zone 1 boarding. not quite the sky priority boarding group, but better than last on the bus.
If you do all your travel next year on delta, you should have enough mileage for silver, proably gold.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:04 am

Hello,

if I do a status challenge for the plat medallion tier, do I receive the 100% RDM bonus benefit during the 90-day period?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.