Wiki Posts
Search

Time from TGV to flight at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Time from TGV to flight at CDG

I'm scheduled to be on DL271 from CDG-EWR in mid-July.

The flight departs CDG at 1:30pm. I'll be departing from Poitiers that morning and unfortunately the earliest TGV to the airport doesn't arrive there until 11:45am. Am I completely nuts to do that (even assuming that I'm just carrying on)?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by atsnyc3322

The flight departs CDG at 1:30pm. I'll be departing from Poitiers that morning and unfortunately the earliest TGV to the airport doesn't arrive there until 11:45am. Am I completely nuts to do that (even assuming that I'm just carrying on)?

Thanks for the help.
It's cutting it very short and you should sure pray for no delay on that TGV.
Now if you know CDG well and start running right away in the right direction, have your BP printed and are eligible for skypriority, and your flight departs from one of the closest terminal (not the far away satellites), you might be able to make it.

Alternatively, you could take the last TGV the night before and stay at the Sheraton. Would make a much less stressful experience...
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
As long as your train arrives on time I don't see a problem with carry on only. 1:45 is plenty of time from the TGV into the terminal. That should leave you approx. 1 hour before boarding starts. When you arrive at CDG go up the stairs and you are in the terminal. Clear passport control and security and you are on your way. 30 minutes tops.

With that said, if you are checking bags or France decides to have one of their bi-weekly transit/train strikes you could be screwed. I have seen the check in lines at DL/AF get really bad in the early afternoon.

I agree that the less stressfull answer is an overnight at the Sheraton if that works with your schedule.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:48 pm

You'll probably be fine, but French bureaucracy is unpredictable. If immigration feels like being slow that day you might be in trouble.

If you don't want an overnight at the Sheraton, another option if you don't have too much luggage is to get to Montparnasse by 9:30am and take Metro+RER to CDG from there. That should get you to CDG by 11am.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Do Not Do It

If the train arrives on time it will take 20 min to reach the counter. There will be a line, probably for the next flight. A different story if you are in F. T H E problem is security which can be really slow at CDG. Then you have a walk/train ride to the terminal. Don't do it. Spend the night in Paris or at CDG.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Thanks for the help everyone.

I unfortunately can't depart Poitiers until the morning, so it looks like the Poitiers to Montparnasse and either taxi or Metro/RER to the airport is the best.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
One-hour and forty-five minutes between the scheduled TGV arrival and a flight's departure would be cutting it a bit too close for me. If everything -- train arrival, security, check-in, customs, proximity of the boarding gate -- falls the right way, then chances would be good. But a glitch or two in the process would be fatal.

As others have advised, it would be wiser to arrive at CDG the night before and stay at one of the many hotels at the airport.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:15 pm

There is also an Air France bus from Gare Montparnasse to CDG. It's slower than a taxi (stops at Gare de Lyon) and way slower than Metro+RER (deals with traffic), but way cheaper than a taxi and more convenient than Metro+RER (especially if you don't know how to navigate the system and might have trouble getting the right ticket for going to CDG). The bus leaves every hour on the half hour - plan for 2 hours to CDG though it usually will be more like 1.5 hours.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:39 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by quasihumanist
There is also an Air France bus from Gare Montparnasse to CDG. . . . . .
I think you may have missed something.

The OP will be arriving directly at CDG airport via the TGV train from another French city.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
I think you may have missed something.

The OP will be arriving directly at CDG airport via the TGV train from another French city.
Not if OP takes an earlier regular train to Paris from that other French city. Then OP must get from a train station in downtown Paris to CDG.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not if OP takes an earlier regular train to Paris from that other French city. Then OP must get from a train station in downtown Paris to CDG.
Yes, I see that now in an earlier post.

Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM
Keeping in mind that I have Sky Priority, know CDG pretty well, speak French, and have a pretty high tolerance for close shaves, I'd do this without hesitation.

As long as the train is on time you will get to 2E within 5-15 mins. Leaving 1:30 to deal with passport, security and that shuttle train to L or M.

I haven't seen lines that long in a very long time.
(But again. I get Access 1 with SP, so it's possible I just never noticed huge lines.)

Adding the schlep from Montparnasse seems like a real...schlep.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by atsnyc3322

Thanks for the help.
If your train is more or less on-time, no problem. As a DL PM you have priority access for immigration and security scan. However, if there is an early train into Montparnasse I'd take that one. In case of a train strike, Montparnasse trains are less affected than the ones into CDG and they are usually less prone to delays. in mid July at mid-morning you should not have more than about 40 minutes to CDG by taxi.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
My father lives in Geneva and I often take the TGV from Geneva to CDG.

I have cut it close a few times and have never had a problem.

A couple of points:

1. Despite the French reputation for less than stellar punctuality, in my experience the TGV is tremendously reliable and on-time.

2. It will not take you 20 minutes to go from the TGV station to the Terminal. I'm assuming you are taking off from Terminal 2E. That will take 10 minutes at the most, since the TGV station is adjacent to Terminal 2E.

3. If you have SkyPriority, security will almost certainly be quick and painless.

Of course, anything can happen, but I think this is a perfectly prudent plan going into CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.