Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded Service in BE?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:43 pm
k2

Originally Posted by fly747first
Please, NWA didn't do anything better, they couldn't do a decent premium service if their lives depending on it... tacky F seats, terrible seat pitch, lazy FAs, et al. So glad DL took over the show and even though Anderson came from NWA, he still adopted DL's more refined style.
I've flown a lot of both and the one thing NW clearly did better (we're talking inflight service) was the midflight meal on longhaul TPACs. Everything else I agree, DL is the same or better.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Had good service/food to NRT recently. Somehow they ran out of the salmon even though I was seated in the middle upstairs... they came to me after finishing taking orders and said they ran out. Salmon Shena? lol

Ended up with the Japanese meal which was very good. I enjoyed the German Riesling as well. Was nice to see something different like that on the list and not just a generic version from Washington. Slept through mid-flight service so can't comment on that part.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just did my first BE trip on the refurbed A333. I thought sitting at the front of the BE section would allow me to get served more quickly like on the 767s but the FA's did everything backwards from the rear forward. I get that the main service galley is back there, but is that really the way it's supposed to be? I would have thought to be consistent they would just roll the carts forward and keep front to rear service. It made it rather awkward because for me and the people around me never knew when/what was coming, or if an FA was going to attempt to drop a tray or drink off. Just weird IMO.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jun 22, 2014 at 4:47 pm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
On all my BE legs on the A330-300 (3L3) this was always the case. Might be SOP.
And yeah they sneak upon you. Had my in ear phones in and didn't notice them sometimes until it was too late....no bonus points for me from the FA's.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I had great service on the intra-asia flights out of and back to NRT. In fact one flight the FA went around and took meal orders from status pax first. Apparently I was the only DM on the plane. haha
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Service direction is typically done based on flight number. FEBO "Front Even, Back Odd". In my experience it's done this way 75% of the time.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fly747first
Please, NWA didn't do anything better, they couldn't do a decent premium service if their lives depending on it... tacky F seats, terrible seat pitch, lazy FAs, et al. So glad DL took over the show and even though Anderson came from NWA, he still adopted DL's more refined style.
OT but this is really unfair? Did you ever fly PMNW TPAC with the Japanese hostess greeting and thanking passengers and serving tea and Japanese meals while wearing a kimono?

Plus, PMNW treated elites very well, the FF program was run in an ethical way, and shena on upgrades was very rare. You didn't see employees riding in domestic FC while elites were in the back of the plane.

At the time of the merger, I would take the PMNW A330 WBC seats any day over BE in those horrid old 767s.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:41 am
k2

Originally Posted by langbr01
Service direction is typically done based on flight number. FEBO "Front Even, Back Odd". In my experience it's done this way 75% of the time.
In my experience (int'l BE) FEBO is hardly ever applied. I've flown the new 330 config ~8 times this year and every time they start the carts from the back. On all other aircraft they almost always start the carts from the front. Not a big deal really, but they certainly aren't doing FEBO.

When it comes to taking entree orders it's almost always front-to-back, starting on the left side aisle then doing the right side aisle. I've learned you're much more likely to get your selection if you sit towards the front/middle on the left side of the aircraft.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC FEBO isn't supposed to apply to international flights. Also IIRC on double aisle aircraft, FEBO curls around the rear of the cabin so that front even flights would start at the front of the left aisle, cross over, and go from the back to the front of the right aisle. Finally, FEBO is about meal order taking, so you sometimes see a FA taking orders from the back on an odd flight but then serving the meals from front to back.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT but this is really unfair? Did you ever fly PMNW TPAC with the Japanese hostess greeting and thanking passengers and serving tea and Japanese meals while wearing a kimono?

I did...many times. I came to DL through the merger. I wasn't distracted by costumes. The service and seating was below par. DL does better. Period.

Plus, PMNW treated elites very well, the FF program was run in an ethical way, and shena on upgrades was very rare. You didn't see employees riding in domestic FC while elites were in the back of the plane.
You don't see that domestic now. You see it international but the rules are clearly defined.

At the time of the merger, I would take the PMNW A330 WBC seats any day over BE in those horrid old 767s.
Still on the "horrid old 767s" months after they have disappeared. In 1991, I would take the Concord over the horrid old 767s doing JFK-LON. Times change.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by k2
In my experience (int'l BE) FEBO is hardly ever applied. I've flown the new 330 config ~8 times this year and every time they start the carts from the back. On all other aircraft they almost always start the carts from the front. Not a big deal really, but they certainly aren't doing FEBO.

When it comes to taking entree orders it's almost always front-to-back, starting on the left side aisle then doing the right side aisle. I've learned you're much more likely to get your selection if you sit towards the front/middle on the left side of the aircraft.
I always thought on international they took meal orders from the front. I'm in 5j next week from DTW to LHR( Hopefully I still get my selection, I'm a picky eater.

I wish Delta would allow you to preorder your meal online if you are in business class. It would make it a lot easier.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I always thought on international they took meal orders from the front. I'm in 5j next week from DTW to LHR( Hopefully I still get my selection, I'm a picky eater.

I wish Delta would allow you to preorder your meal online if you are in business class. It would make it a lot easier.
I'd also like to be able to preorder meals in BE and also for FC.

However, I suspect that some carriers do this because they otherwise cater extra meals (for example SQ does this and their longstanding Book the Cook might have been the first preorder service offered by a major scheduled carrier) to provide better choices. IIRC DL caters to exactly the number of seats in the cabin (I've been told this by FAs and I've seen some evidence of no extra meals on board, but I nevertheless suspect that longhaul international BE does have a few extra choices) so allowing preorders would increase rather than decrease costs. [I also know from a HND flight that when the cabin is very lightly booked, only a few meals are loaded, sometimes only one of a choice.]

I'd also like to see DL offer a version of being able to have meals when one wants like some of their competitors do.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd also like to be able to preorder meals in BE and also for FC.

However, I suspect that some carriers do this because they otherwise cater extra meals (for example SQ does this and their longstanding Book the Cook might have been the first preorder service offered by a major scheduled carrier) to provide better choices. IIRC DL caters to exactly the number of seats in the cabin (I've been told this by FAs and I've seen some evidence of no extra meals on board, but I nevertheless suspect that longhaul international BE does have a few extra choices) so allowing preorders would increase rather than decrease costs. [I also know from a HND flight that when the cabin is very lightly booked, only a few meals are loaded, sometimes only one of a choice.]

I'd also like to see DL offer a version of being able to have meals when one wants like some of their competitors do.
I don't understand how it would increase their costs. If they have 40 seats in business and 25 passengers preorder meals, they stock those 25 meal choices reserved for those seats just like a special diet meal. Stock 15 other meals and if those people didn't preorder it's their own fault or if it's a non-rev or opup they have no room to complain about not getting their meal choice.

I'd also love to see it with First class, but I know they have different meals catered on each flight and may not know the meal selections ahead of time. Seeing they have menus printed on international they already know the selection they will have on board.

Seeing how much an airline charges for a business class ticket I don't think it's asking a lot for them to have your meal choice available to preorderl
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:07 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"

I almost always sit in 2J on the A330s; and yes, service is always from the back.

If you are concerned about meal choice; I'd say just make sure you board early (well, not really early, but with BusinessElite boarding).

I've noticed lately, they tend to take meal orders a bit after (or around the same time) pre-departure beverages. If you get on the plane early; I see no issue with mentioning such to the flight attendant and placing your order immediately.

Also, on a eastbound (red-eye) flights; there are often a few people who decline meal-service and just go to sleep; or at least, it always seems that way BOS-AMS.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I don't understand how it would increase their costs. If they have 40 seats in business and 25 passengers preorder meals, they stock those 25 meal choices reserved for those seats just like a special diet meal. Stock 15 other meals and if those people didn't preorder it's their own fault or if it's a non-rev or opup they have no room to complain about not getting their meal choice.

I'd also love to see it with First class, but I know they have different meals catered on each flight and may not know the meal selections ahead of time. Seeing they have menus printed on international they already know the selection they will have on board.

Seeing how much an airline charges for a business class ticket I don't think it's asking a lot for them to have your meal choice available to preorderl
+1 for BE.

For domestic first, not sure it's worth the trouble. As you said, the meals are less predictable, and I imagine there's also quite a bit more last-minute FC bookings and flight changes (even SDCs), such that setting up for preorders on those flights wouldn't produce as much benefit as for BE flights with a more "stable" pax list close-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.