Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone fly Inaugural SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by tentseller
Yes; DL have been promoting the he*k out of this in HK.

I hang out on the island side and just can't miss the tram and bus shelter murals on Queensway in May.

My HK room at Stubb's Rd faces the harbour, and the ICC night light advertising cannot be misses when i kick back with a drink.

I will be doing my first SEA HKG June 19. Love the 1935 HK arrival.

Will post my $0.02 Friday.
You'll be flying on the plane I will have just got off. I'll hide some Woodfords under my seat cushion for you.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Woodford on the westbound TPAC I am not worry about. It is the eastbound that I had inventory issues on.
Good thing HK is not a bourbon town yet.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP75K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, Amex Plat
I'll be on SEA-HKG tomorrow (Wednesday, June 18). I'll share some thoughts after landing.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nabilm92
I'll be on SEA-HKG tomorrow (Wednesday, June 18). I'll share some thoughts after landing.
I'm jealous! I wish I were going.....
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm jealous! I wish I were going.....
Id be happy to go to HKG but not on Delta The queen of the skies is Cathay Pacific and Deltas no Cathay Pacific! #cathaypacific rocks!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JHIN
Id be happy to go to HKG but not on Delta The queen of the skies is Cathay Pacific and Deltas no Cathay Pacific! #cathaypacific rocks!
I've flown and liked CX, including their HKG lounges, but DL has the advantage of direct aisle access in business class (and flat beds, of course).
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Would it be weight-restricted at all flying this long route? Looking at the seatmaps, looks like it'll be packed full on both outbound and inbound. Bummer for me since i'm in the back of the bus.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Must have been a while since your last CX? CX's TPAC have been aisle access and flatbeds for the past >6 years already, albeit transitioning from the "coffin class" to the reverse herringbone in the last ~3. The final coffin class (747s to SFO) cabins will end this year.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've flown and liked CX, including their HKG lounges, but DL has the advantage of direct aisle access in business class (and flat beds, of course).
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
That was ICN-SEA. I will refrain from "they all look alike" jokes.

I'll be on HKG-SEA Friday, will post a TR, but by then it'll just be another TPAC on a 333.

DL has been promoting this flight here in HKG, sponsoring some local arts competition, putting a big ad in the International Commerce Centre (tallest office building in HKG), and I've seen a couple of ads on the streetcars.

I'm still not convinced this works for people like me who usually travel to the eastern half of the USA where many cities have no direct flight to SEA, but I'm giving it a fair shake on my upcoming trip.
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
I'm booked on this in Sept. Also curious about some TRs and also want to see how the 333 handles the winds in the winter months. This is close to max range for the 333.

The 333, in fleet and on order, I think are about 1000nm short in range for it
Originally Posted by aserican
Isn't it a 332?
yes
Originally Posted by rylan
The 332 has longer range so shouldn't be an issue during winter.
It does have longer range but this will really be pushing it for the 332. I fully expect once the new 333s show up Delta will free up 777 capacity and SEA-HKG will quickly go to the T7. I really wish they would put the 330/744 seat in them before hand though.
Originally Posted by cdubose98
DTW-PVG is blocked at 14 hrs, 26 mins. Of course, most of the reason for the discrepancy is the fact that DTW-PVG will have the faster 744 on the route. I don't know if headwinds will be more prominent on one route or the other.
DTW-PVG is a 777 route. Mostly LR I think
Nevertheless, to my knowledge, the only A332 route ever flown that was longer than SEA-HKG was QF's LAX-AKL, which is 6,504 miles compared to 6,500 for SEA-HKG. And I'm told that QF's birds have longer legs than DL's do.
they do. Both have the same MTOW but Delta's bird have 70K engines, the GE birds at QF are 73K. Also I believe QF had to leave people behind fairly regularly.
One of the reasons why the new 333s are GE CF6s and not PW4000s is because the higher thrust on the GE engines.

It makes me wonder why DL didn't spring for a few HGW A332s when they placed the A333 order last year. That said, I'm sure the logistics folks understand what they're getting into, and I look forward to trying this route in the future.
because they can use the new 333s to free up 747/777s and 332s to expand.
Example, a route like JFK-TLV can be done with the new 333, that frees up two 777s.
DTW-PEK/ICN/NRT/NGO could all go (again, PEK/ICN would be pushing it. 5700nms for a max range of 62000nms.)
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by tentseller
Yes; DL have been promoting the he*k out of this in HK.

I hang out on the island side and just can't miss the tram and bus shelter murals on Queensway in May.

My HK room at Stubb's Rd faces the harbour, and the ICC night light advertising cannot be misses when I kick back with a drink.

I will be doing my first SEA HKG June 19. Love the 1935 HK arrival.

Will post my $0.02 Friday.
Would love some pictures of them ads as well. Theres just something about this inaugural that gets me going.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
SeaTac Airport's Facebook had these three images of the festivities on the inaugural day

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7409096&type=1
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
I'll be on the June 26 HKG-SEA leg. Anyone else?

At under $500 each RT for my wife and me, wonder if any of an OP-UP?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
FWIW, NW flew SEA-HKG.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
FWIW, NW flew SEA-HKG.
And DL kept the right to the flight along with many other US Asia routes.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP75K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, Amex Plat
On DL281 right now waiting for cargo to finish loading before pushing back. About 50 unsold seats in Y and 5 unsold in BE. Sitting in 10H (aisle bulkhead EC), lots of legroom!

3 meal service in economy: dinner, mid-flight snack, and pre-arrival meal. Three dinner options, 2 pre-arrival options, all of which sound tasty. Will post menu in a trip report sometime in the next few days.

Update: pushed back at 2:39pm PST, approx 15 minutes behind schedule due to waiting on cargo loading.

Edit: 10 flight attendants on board. All seem experienced.

Last edited by nabilm92; Jun 18, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.