Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/Alaska Timing of Award Ticket Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Silver, AA - EXP, Marriott - Platinum Premier

I'm trying to book a ticket to Hawaii next May and the Alaska and Delta sites show different dates as the last possible day to book.

-On Alaska Air, they have May 13th, 2015 as the last day you can book an award ticket. Delta flights even show up as bookable on that day.

-On Delta, they have May 11th, 2015 as the last day you can book an award ticket.

Does anyone know why this is different?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:48 pm

Unfortunately, for some reason Delta.com only lets you book 328 (sometimes 329) days in advance instead of 330. It's been going on for at least 6 months and I'm not sure why this is not a more well-publicized problem. I've sent them tweets/emails/calls about this to no avail.

Thankfully, you can still call in and book, the phone agents can book 330 days in advance for both Delta and partner flights - so as soon as you see the flights available to book on AS, call Delta to book the flights.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by csdripps
I'm trying to book a ticket to Hawaii next May and the Alaska and Delta sites show different dates as the last possible day to book.
Your language first made me think that, Alaska award flights are going away on a particular date, and you're asking what the last possible date to book is.

Is it safe to assume that you meant something a little more like . . . .

How many days in advance for next year does Alaska open their calendar for award bookings compared to Delta?

I know it seems here, that, the DL/AS relationship seems to be eroding, so, perhaps I'm a little sensitive about that.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Your language first made me think that, Alaska award flights are going away on a particular date, and you're asking what the last possible date to book is.

Is it safe to assume that you meant something a little more like . . . .

How many days in advance for next year does Alaska open their calendar for award bookings compared to Delta?

I know it seems here, that, the DL/AS relationship seems to be eroding, so, perhaps I'm a little sensitive about that.
Yeah my language was a bit unclear.

Thankfully archrr clarified my question. It just seems odd that DL's website only allows 328 days in advance and AS's website allows the usual 330.

I hope this isn't another case of the website "working as designed" like the award calendar.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Just booked the outbound portion of my trip for next May over the phone. The direct ticketing charge was waived since I am a DM (for this year at least).

This will be very annoying for FO and general members since they will not be able to book flights on the day availability opens without calling an agent and getting stuck with the direct ticketing charge. The fee being waived since the website does not allow the booking is certainly something I would put to the agent on the phone though.

Of all the quirks/defects on DL.dumb, this is the most perplexing to me. You can book revenue tickets 330 days out, award tickets over the phone 330 days out, but can only book award tickets on DL.dumb only 328 days out? Keep Climbing Delta!

.....rant over.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by csdripps
Of all the quirks/defects on DL.dumb, this is the most perplexing to me. You can book revenue tickets 330 days out, award tickets over the phone 330 days out, but can only book award tickets on DL.dumb only 328 days out? Keep Climbing Delta!

.....rant over.
If that's the worst of what we hafto live with, I can live with it.

Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by archrr
Unfortunately, for some reason Delta.com only lets you book 328 (sometimes 329) days in advance instead of 330.
I've noticed the same thing. Also, partner availability can be released much later by Skymiles partners. I've noticed VA and AS not releasing when Delta flights become bookable for awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.