Wiki Posts
Search

757 Crew Rest Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
757 Crew Rest Experience

I was in 1B on a recent flight from CDG to the US. One of the pilots thoughtfully came by to let me know that I was next to the crew rest spot (which I knew) and hoped I wouldn't mind that someone would be climbing over me every couple of hours and asking me to keep my stuff off of that seat. I was fine with all of that.

Just before leaving, a gate agent approached and said I needed to move because there were empty seats in BE and, therefore, the rule was that the seat next to the rest one should be empty. I wasn't wild about giving up my aisle seat but they were persistent. My choices were to be next to a woman with extreme BO and one next to a guy who smelled like he took a cigarette bath before boarding. Went with the latter and it was perfectly fine.

The purser later told me that there was no such rule and they should not have phrased it that way; that it was only a suggestion to make my flight more comfortable (which would certainly have been the case on a redeye but not so much on a day flight).

Anyone encountered this before?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Ah, more employees making up their own rules. The best thing to do is ask to see it in writing. You paid a bunch or burned a lot of miles to to fly in business elite and you should be able to sit where you like.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:50 pm

I've encountered this before. The seat next to the pilot crew rest in BE is supposed to be the last seat filled in the cabin.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether it's a rule or not, it's a private company. If the GA moves you, the GA moves you. If your seatmates were not to your olfactory liking, the remedy is to ask for them to be removed or sent back to steerage.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Often1
Whether it's a rule or not, it's a private company. If the GA moves you, the GA moves you. ...
This is going to be fun to watch...

Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If your seatmates were not to your olfactory liking, the remedy is to ask for them to be removed or sent back to steerage.
Yeah right. I believe the only remedy was breathing through my mouth + dispersion over time (at least with respect to smokey -- who, credit due, didn't mind my climbing over him a few times to hit the loo).
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Ah, more employees making up their own rules.
Sorry, but this is specifically in the Pilot Working Agreement (i.e. the Contract). Section 16 and later Letters of Agreement lay out the exact details of the crew rest facility on each plane, and for the 757, as skidv25 noted, the seat next to the Pilot rest seat should be the very last one filled.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:35 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
If that's the case it should be blocked out like economy bulkheads on intl flights and assigned at the gate when no other seats are available?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Down3Green
Sorry, but this is specifically in the Pilot Working Agreement (i.e. the Contract). Section 16 and later Letters of Agreement lay out the exact details of the crew rest facility on each plane, and for the 757, as skidv25 noted, the seat next to the Pilot rest seat should be the very last one filled.
Would you mind explaining why? Do the pilots think they are too good to sit next to a passenger? I have many friends and acquaintances who are pilots and it's probably around a 70/30 mix based on my knowing. About 70% of them would have no problem sitting next to a passenger while the other 30% would turn their nose up and run to their union rep. If it weren't for passengers purchasing those expensive business class seats then that pilot would probably be stuck flying that 757 between ATL and Florida instead of getting a trip to Paris. And before anyone says anything, I'm well aware that 757 pilot could possibly bid a 767 trip and get to Paris that way (with a dedicated crew rest at that ).
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mdanner423
If that's the case it should be blocked out like economy bulkheads on intl flights and assigned at the gate when no other seats are available?
Maybe so. This is a very recent amendent to the pilot working agreement so implementation needs to catch up.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Quote:

Originally Posted by Down3Green

Would you mind explaining why? Do the pilots think they are too good to sit next to a passenger? I have many friends and acquaintances who are pilots and it's probably around a 70/30 mix based on my knowing. About 70% of them would have no problem sitting next to a passenger while the other 30% would turn their nose up and run to their union rep. If it weren't for passengers purchasing those expensive business class seats then that pilot would probably be stuck flying that 757 between ATL and Florida instead of getting a trip to Paris. And before anyone says anything, I'm well aware that 757 pilot could possibly bid a 767 trip and get to Paris that way (with a dedicated crew rest at that ).
Presumably they get better rest if no one is next to them. If there's another biz class seat, the powers that be have made a judgment
that aisle/window or meal selection timing doesn't matter as much.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have no issue with blocking the seat, assuming this works like one would expect it.

I would hope though (once any kinks are worked out) pax do not get kicked out of seats they were able to select. And I certainly assume they will not downgrade to Y as the letter of the law implies.

Ending up next to a smoker? I would never have booked such a seat.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I have no issue with blocking the seat, assuming this works like one would expect it.

I would hope though (once any kinks are worked out) pax do not get kicked out of seats they were able to select. And I certainly assume they will not downgrade to Y as the letter of the law implies.

Ending up next to a smoker? I would never have booked such a seat.
I sure hope those who shout the joys of Delta's revenue management team when ever Skymiles releases a new enhancement will not be hypocrites and come out condemn this practice. It does nothing for Delta's bottom line to block the seat next to the crew rest. It is downright silly to even propose such a thing as blocking an extra seat from being sold. With that kind of practice DL is down to only being able to sell 14 BE seats. 16 BE seats (-) crew rest seat (-) the seat next to the crew rest = 14 seats left to sell and airline with with misaligned priorities.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
I sure hope those who shout the joys of Delta's revenue management team when ever Skymiles releases a new enhancement will not be hypocrites and come out condemn this practice. It does nothing for Delta's bottom line to block the seat next to the crew rest. It is downright silly to even propose such a thing as blocking an extra seat from being sold. With that kind of practice DL is down to only being able to sell 14 BE seats. 16 BE seats (-) crew rest seat (-) the seat next to the crew rest = 14 seats left to sell and airline with with misaligned priorities.
What does the last seat filled mean to you? They are still selling the seat if needed.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
What does the last seat filled mean to you? They are still selling the seat if needed.
Well, the user I quoted said they would have no problem with the seat being blocked. I thought Delta's first responsibility was to the shareholder? Why let ~$4,000 just fly away (pun intended)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.