Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How To Book Lap Infant International Ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How To Book Lap Infant International Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
It is easy to do when you call. The lap infant will be charged 10% of the adult fare. If you wait until the last minute, you may be paying 10% of a much more expensive ticket than if you do it now.

Even though they will be on your lap, the infant will need their own ticket. They will mail you a physical paper ticket and you must bring this with you to the airport when you check in (same for the return) so do not lose it.

I would do it sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger

Calling DL will not necessarily help. I tried this once and actually thought I had the ticket booked and they promised to send the paper ticket by mail to me in HKG. Only it turns out that for some reason they weren't allowed to do so, and they simply cancelled the transaction and never charged my card. I only found out I didn't have an infant ticket because I called a few weeks later to inquire why I hadn't received it yet. From then on I just made time to go to the airport and buy at the counter after booking the regular tickets. Annoying but it works every time.
I had this happen once, too. Called in to DL to add my child and assumed all was set. Arrive in MEM (he didn't need anything for domestic segment) only to be told that there was a reservation, but no ticket for the TATL segment. As the doors were about to close, they just gave up and had us board. In AMS, this caused huge drama when there was no way to get an onward boarding pass for the child; it took several hours for the KL (and DL people over the phone) to figure out how to book a one-way ticket for an infant. They kept insisting that there was no way for us to have flown MEM-AMS; my reply was to show them a toddler who had definitely made the flight.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by roknroll
It is easy to do when you call. The lap infant will be charged 10% of the adult fare. If you wait until the last minute, you may be paying 10% of a much more expensive ticket than if you do it now.

Even though they will be on your lap, the infant will need their own ticket. They will mail you a physical paper ticket and you must bring this with you to the airport when you check in (same for the return) so do not lose it.

Not if you are originating overseas. They won't mail you the paper ticket if you are overseas. Or at least they wouldn't mail it to me even after they told me they would, and didn't bother to tell me when they just abandoned the whole thing.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:15 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.

So I did buy a ticket but was told that only the "adult" part is finalized (I can see it in my list of trips). I was told that the infant ticket will be mailed in a few weeks. There is no charge for it on my credit card charges yet. I guess I have to have faith Delta won't forget about it.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by a7m
So I did buy a ticket but was told that only the "adult" part is finalized (I can see it in my list of trips). I was told that the infant ticket will be mailed in a few weeks. There is no charge for it on my credit card charges yet. I guess I have to have faith Delta won't forget about it.
This also happened to me on my two bookings, one using DL miles on Air France, and the other using DL miles on DL metal. I booked the trip, then was on hold for a while waiting for a quote of fares from the international ticketing desk. Got the quote, and said that it would be processed separately and I'd receive the tickets in the mail. Took a few weeks, but eventually was charged and got the paper tickets in the mail. For the Air France one, it was weird as the confirmation and paper tickets came from KLM, while the adults were all DL.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:03 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Took a few weeks, but eventually was charged and got the paper tickets in the mail.
Did they charge you for the infant ticket based on the original price or the price as it was when the infant ticket was issued (several weeks later)?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by a7m
Your location says NYC, but somehow I got the impression you're overseas. Are you within the USA? If so you're fine.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by a7m
Did they charge you for the infant ticket based on the original price or the price as it was when the infant ticket was issued (several weeks later)?
I don't remember really. I think I remember being quoted a high amount (like $600) from the international desk, but was only charged like $400 something which was in line with 10% of the current fare. My guess is that it is based on 10% of the fare when they actually issue the ticket, not when the adult is booked.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:57 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Your location says NYC, but somehow I got the impression you're overseas. Are you within the USA? If so you're fine.
I'm in NY. Even so, there is some uncertainty with this ticket based on what Delta rep told me: "We'll issue the ticket soon, not sure when, but if you do not get it by August, give us a call..." Is it certain enough?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by a7m
I'm in NY. Even so, there is some uncertainty with this ticket based on what Delta rep told me: "We'll issue the ticket soon, not sure when, but if you do not get it by August, give us a call..." Is it certain enough?
They seem to be very hit or miss on this. If you're overseas it is guaranteed not to happen, but if you're in NYC I'd give it a few weeks and if not call again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.