Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta & My Beloved Woodford Reserve!

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Post Delta & My Beloved Woodford Reserve!

...Post Removed...

Last edited by usa18dca; Apr 3, 2015 at 7:21 am
Old May 30, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by usa18dca
there's always Honey Jack on domestic flights too]
Disgusting swill.

Last edited by StuckOnSegments; May 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I don't care what kind of bottle it comes from as long as it's served in a glass instead of a plastic cup. I will usually order something else as my PDB just to avoid drinking Woodford from the plastic cup. I really only notice the plastic bottle in coach when they give me the bottle. Once I ordered two Woodfords, and the FA gave me one plastic and one glass. A couple weeks later I saw a post of someone with the same experience claiming the plastic bottle had less liquor. Both were clearly labeled as 50 mL.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The plastic bottle does seem smaller, even though it isn't, because of how much thicker the glass is. I also think it's a little bit taller. But as matt noted, both are 50ml.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
I don't care what it comes in or what it's served in. As long as it's served.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Oh Delta, Oh Delta!

Why hast thou allowed Woodford Reserve to go from lavish Glass miniatures to droll plastic miniatures? It might be my imagination but I swear Woodford tastes differently coming from a plastic miniature! Oh well... At least Delta still serves my cherished all time favorite drink onboard and there's always Honey Jack on domestic flights too.

Here's a photo of the new plastic miniature that's being served onboard these days.

The new plastic ones weigh 2oz+ less per bottle btw!

Shorter than the glass ones but same 50ml. I did a test pour into a shot glass the plastic one held just a teeny tiny bit more in my test.

Last edited by Renes Points; May 30, 2014 at 7:51 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
There's only one word I want associated with my Woodford and that's "complimentary".
Old May 30, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found this bit about how to make an Old Fashioned on Delta --

http://www.backdownsouth.com/2013/10...old-fashioned/

I think I'd skip the "muddling" bit and just mix the sugar and water with the straw to make a simple syrup (as you really don't want sugar crystals in your Old Fashioned).
Old May 30, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
There's only one word I want associated with my Woodford and that's "complimentary".
I would agree but enjoy it so much I also pay for it at my local liquor store.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
You need more Skybonus points. You can take a bunch home that way
Old May 31, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Oh Delta, Oh Delta!

Why hast thou allowed Woodford Reserve to go from lavish Glass miniatures to droll plastic miniatures? It might be my imagination but I swear Woodford tastes differently coming from a plastic miniature! Oh well... At least Delta still serves my cherished all time favorite drink onboard and there's always Honey Jack on domestic flights too.

Here's a photo of the new plastic miniature that's being served onboard these days.

It isn't your imagination. Both plastic and aluminum leach small amounts of chemicals into the liquid they are holding and somewhat alter the taste. Glass is still the best material for containing and preserving liquids which is why wine and good liqueurs are still packaged in glass. It's just too expensive (and too breakable) to transport as cost-effectively as plastic or aluminum so for uses like the plane or bulk food service you will get plastic.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
[sacrilege] Buffalo Trace is a much smoother sipping whiskey... nice hints of vanilla from the oak. [/sacrilege]

I was a bit disconcerted when I saw my first plastic bottle of Woodford. It did look like they had downsized ("enhanced") the serving. But 50 ml is still 50 ml.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
[sacrilege] Buffalo Trace is a much smoother sipping whiskey... nice hints of vanilla from the oak. [/sacrilege] ------
I have never heard of that one -thanks for the heads up I will give it a try. ^
Old May 31, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mattp1987
A couple weeks later I saw a post of someone with the same experience claiming the plastic bottle had less liquor. Both were clearly labeled as 50 mL.
There's a whole network of laws out there involving correct weights and measures, and its not going to be work the paperwork and fines to claim 50mL and have bottles that only pour 45mL.

But yeah, there's often a subtle taste difference between beverages from and in glass compared to beverages from and served in aluminum or plastic. A lot of people can also taste the difference between soda from a glass bottle, and soda from lesser materials.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
It isn't your imagination. Both plastic and aluminum leach small amounts of chemicals into the liquid they are holding and somewhat alter the taste. Glass is still the best material for containing and preserving liquids which is why wine and good liqueurs are still packaged in glass. It's just too expensive (and too breakable) to transport as cost-effectively as plastic or aluminum so for uses like the plane or bulk food service you will get plastic.
Just to be clear, aluminum cans are lined with a polymer coating, so you would be tasting the polymer not the aluminum. Also, most taste tests I've seen usually end up with only about 50% of blind tasters being able to tell a canned beer from a bottled beer, which obviously means most people can't actually tell the difference. Glass also allows light to penetrate, which can damage liquids, and closure systems for glass are also less airtight than for cans. Now, plastic is problematic because the plastic itself isn't airtight and you can have the same problems with light and the closures as glass, but I would argue that cans are probably the best enclosure system for liquids that is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.