Security breach in A at DTW tonight

The tunnel divider went all the way then back to 1/2 way between A & B/C

Still boarding flights.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by Delta Points

The tunnel divider went all the way then back to 1/2 way between A & B/C

Still boarding flights.
As of approximately 8:45, tram out of service announcement at gate that all flights in and out suspended. Nobody allowed in or off aircraft, in or out of the terminal or allowed to leave "the immediate gate area". Per PA announcements at the A1-A8 boarding area.

No ETA announced yet. Here's to hoping my crew doesn't timeout.

Gloobnib
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
We are boarding over at C. Just about to push (i hope). 1st time happy to be on a tiny jet ;-)
Old May 29, 2014, 7:51 pm

Wxyz is reporting they found the perp and that ops will resume.

http://Www.wxyz.com/news/detroit-met...rt-on-lockdown
Old May 29, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
You see -we do need the TSA
Old May 29, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
RATZ they deplaned us. 30 min wait.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points
RATZ they deplaned us. 30 min wait.
Security alert strobes finally turned off. Hoping we don't have to be re-screened now... No updates from Delta since 9:45.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
So the guy was exiting the airport through an "exit lane" and decided to go back into the concourse. And now they have to do a full sweep? What could he have possibly done if he was leaving the secure side? The truth is stranger than fiction I suppose... What a waste of everyone's time. The guy probably just forgot something.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yeah, you're absolutely right! TSA had to watch the passengers at exiting lanes. They have to make sure it is nobody go through the exiting lanes.

Originally Posted by gloobnib
Security alert strobes finally turned off. Hoping we don't have to be re-screened now... No updates from Delta since 9:45.
They won't be necessary to be re-screened again. There is no need to go through at TSA checkpoint again.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
So the guy was exiting the airport through an "exit lane" and decided to go back into the concourse. And now they have to do a full sweep? What could he have possibly done if he was leaving the secure side? The truth is stranger than fiction I suppose... What a waste of everyone's time. The guy probably just forgot something.
Yes, he did. He went through exiting lane. He took a wrong way. He can't do that. He had to leave from sterile area. He did not followed the TSA instructions. The police already have him into the custody. I am not quite sure if he will gets charges with criminal trespassing.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:36 pm

Finally allowed to board at 11:15. So we were in lockdown for 2:30!

At least my flight terminates at home. I feel bad for everyone on DL1823 DTW-SEA. Gate agent announced as we were boarding that even though it will go out, 100% of those on this 753 that are continuing on will miss their connections...

So. I will begin the second guessing by saying I'm pretty sure the TSA totally overreacted here. I'll also be the first to call for this guys blood! What is the proper punishment? According to the flight board there were about 60 flights held up. Call it 125 people per flight. 60x125x2.5=18,750 lost hours which is approximately 26 person-months.

I sentence him to serving 26 months continuous duty as the TSA guy who yells at people in the pre-check line to "keep your shoes on, don't take anything out of your bags!"
Old May 29, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Phew, dodged a bullet there... I was going to fly over to get some popeyes and come back.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Where are the : rolleyes:
Old May 30, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Detroit Free Press also has some coverage --

at

http://www.freep.com/article/2014052...t-dtw-lockdown

Just wonder what the ground transportation center (where you get the shuttles to the rental cars, hotels and remote parking lots) was like once they moved the gates back.

My bet is the guy that caused all this just wanted to smoke .... I also wonder if English wasn his first language and it sounds like he got a free room for the night, but not one any of us would want to stay in !

Bob H
Old May 30, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Sigh.....

Can't they just isolate the checkpoint and exit lane to prevent these types of mass terminal evacuations at DTW???

It is so easy to implement! They already have the drop-down door by the base of the tram.

No reason to need to evaculate all of the terminal, if you can contain them to the corridor outside security before the the Skyclub/Tram station.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Sigh.....

Can't they just isolate the checkpoint and exit lane to prevent these types of mass terminal evacuations at DTW???

It is so easy to implement! They already have the drop-down door by the base of the tram.

No reason to need to evaculate all of the terminal, if you can contain them to the corridor outside security before the the Skyclub/Tram station.
I agree. From some of the pictures, it makes it look like the terminal goes into a prison mode.

Everyone gets to suffer as a result now. If I was at the airport and this happened, I would fear the absolute worst for the look of things. Hopefully everyone didn't need to be re-screened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.