Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-SEA transcon BusinessElite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

JFK-SEA transcon BusinessElite

Hi everyone, I've searched around a decent amount and haven't been able to find clarification for this from either Delta or FT search.

I was booked on JFK-SEA business class round trip departing May 23 on flight DL1643 at 6:45pm, returning May 26 on DL1542 at 10:55pm redeye. I recall DL1643 having 16 seats in the business class, suggesting that it's the upgraded 75E version of 757-200. This seems to have changed a few days ago with the JFK-SEA flight number now being DL442 and both legs of the trip showing 75X version on the seat map, with 26 seats in business. Everything on the reservation, including the seat picker map, show this section as being BusinessElite, but the "Aircraft Details" static map shows it as First (http://goo.gl/7FGYGj).

Searching for the same itinerary on delta.com shows BE for all JFK-SEA legs, but only some show the Sleeper Seat symbol (both of my legs missing it).

Delta's press release from 2012 mentions upgrading all airplanes on the JFK-SEA segment to sleeper seats (along with JFK-LAX/SFO):
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20295&item=124081

... and I remember seeing another one mentioning that all upgrades should be complete by spring of 2014.

A call to Delta yielded a bit of confusion on their end, as they read through the notes mentioning ship ugrades and the 75X being there as a placeholder.

I understand that Delta only markets two classes, but I wonder if anyone has experience with the JFK-SEA line and how this is going to shake out. Why would they be showing BE for all flights if some are First Class? Wouldn't one expect them to have sleeper seats on the redeye? One Delta rep indicated that a domestic flight will have sleeper seats if, and only if, that flight continues across the ocean afterward.

Would appreciate any info on this. Thank you!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: DL, AA
Moving to the Delta forum from the flame-free Information Desk. I'm sure the friendly & knowledgeable DL flyers will be able to help.

scoow
co-mod, info. desk forum
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
The seat map on the aircraft details you're looking at is not the right one. There are many versions of the 757s. You will definitely be in a BE cabin, however, it looks like you have been down-guagued to the recliners instead of the lie-flats. You may have luck calling into Delta and being put on a flight that's lie flat though
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
The last JFK-SEA flight of the day (in the summer) has been "downgraded" to a domestic ex-Song 75X (I.e., no BE recliner seats - the 75E). Probably because they don't have enough 75Es to go around for the summer (since they have many seasonal JFK-Europe flights using the 75E this summer - JFK-AGP/KEF/SNN/ARN/CPH/PSA).

If you price out a JFK-SEA ticket, that last flight on the 75X also comes out cheaper when you try to buy a First/Business ticket. I would advise the OP to call Delta and try to have it changed to a 75E flight (the other three JFK-SEA flights will be on the 75E) if you would prefer the recliner seat (with 55" seat pitch) versus the standard domestic 757 First Class seat.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
The last JFK-SEA flight of the day (in the summer) has been "downgraded" to a domestic ex-Song 75X (I.e., no BE recliner seats - the 75E). Probably because they don't have enough 75Es to go around for the summer (since they have many seasonal JFK-Europe flights using the 75E this summer - JFK-AGP/KEF/SNN/ARN/CPH/PSA).
the 915am departure on both 14 and 16 May is also a 26F jet; the redeye return (1542) on 20 May is also the conventional configuration ... I'm pretty sure this continues for much of the summer travel season, and

If you price out a JFK-SEA ticket, that last flight on the 75X also comes out cheaper when you try to buy a First/Business ticket. I would advise the OP to call Delta and try to have it changed to a 75E flight (the other three JFK-SEA flights will be on the 75E) if you would prefer the recliner seat (with 55" seat pitch) versus the standard domestic 757 First Class seat.
I have found a number of connections (DCA, BWI, IAD, RIC, PHL) over JFK in the next few months in both directions where the true BE flights to/from SEA actually price out lower than the 26F jets ...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Either way, you should get more of a BE service, even if its F seats.

Also, note, the actual lie-flats on the JFK-SEA route (as opposed to the old BE barcaloungers) probably won't start until mid next year. They've just started modding the 75Es to lie-flat — and they'll be on JFK-LAX for the forseeable future.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
jrkmsp is correct - There are no lie flats on the JFK-SEA route, only recliner seats on the 75E. If the OP paid to fly on the 75E and there was an equipment swap, he should be able to change to an earlier flight without penalty.

Worst case scenario, youve got guaranteed SDC ability and those flights are never sold out (and rarely even close to it) in BE.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for very knowledgeable insights, much appreciated. I guess there is a material difference between recliner seats and standard business class seats (or lie flats for that matter). I still wonder why all of the flights would be listed as Business Elite, as some of the flights are clearly standard domestic First Class (or am I wrong?). Assuming status quo - is standard domestic First Class on the JFK-SEA route still decent? Would anyone mind posting links to photos where one can see the difference business/first class variants that exist there on 757-200? Delta's website is a bit confusing on this - http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-service.html.

suvayanr - you mentioned that I will "definitely be in a BE cabin" - does that mean it's different than standard domestic First Class?

I don't think I have any business calling Delta and complaining, since these are the Delta Xmas glitch tickets I snatched for $40 a piece, so I think I'll stay put and take what they give me. More than anything, I'm curious how they manage the transition to the new BE planes and what I'm likely to end up flying with.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
this is the 16F cabin
http://www.travelsworlds.com/wp-cont...s-ydk5rhsb.jpg

this is more or less the 26F version
http://boardingarea.wpengine.netdna-...ints-blog1.jpg

clearly a big difference in the experience. If you are confirmed in F, you should be able to switch to a 16F variant as long as there is availability in the cabin, per the new SDC rules.

as for service, it would be the same, the transcon special - antipasto meal, a choice of three entrees, and gelato and/or cheese plate. the entrees are usually a beef or pork thing, pasta, or chicken/salmon option. Last time I had a cedar plan salmon. Tasty and very appropriate for the route

You would also get the BE headsets and westin blankets + amenity kits - but a lot less space to enjoy them if you end up in a 26-er.

I doubt there will be an equipment swap unless your flight is later in the year... seems like the 26F birds are flying consiwtently coast to coast...
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by richardfeynman
Thanks for very knowledgeable insights, much appreciated. I guess there is a material difference between recliner seats and standard business class seats (or lie flats for that matter). I still wonder why all of the flights would be listed as Business Elite, as some of the flights are clearly standard domestic First Class (or am I wrong?). Assuming status quo - is standard domestic First Class on the JFK-SEA route still decent? Would anyone mind posting links to photos where one can see the difference business/first class variants that exist there on 757-200? Delta's website is a bit confusing on this - http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-service.html.

suvayanr - you mentioned that I will "definitely be in a BE cabin" - does that mean it's different than standard domestic First Class?

I don't think I have any business calling Delta and complaining, since these are the Delta Xmas glitch tickets I snatched for $40 a piece, so I think I'll stay put and take what they give me. More than anything, I'm curious how they manage the transition to the new BE planes and what I'm likely to end up flying with.

Thanks again.
What I meant is that you will still receive the standard BE food, pillows, blanket, and service. It will just be on non-BE equipment.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:36 am

Keep in mind though that you can also do a same day change to a different flight on the day of to secure both BE equipment and service. Perhaps even route JFK-LAX-SEA if it's a legal routing for the fare.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by suvayanr
What I meant is that you will still receive the standard BE food, pillows, blanket, and service. It will just be on non-BE equipment.
That is not correct. If it is not operated by a 75E with 16F it will just be domestic first food, no Westin blanket or pillow and no Tumi amenity kit.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
and that, IMO, is why they should revert to the old UG policy for those flights ... I got the standard marketing-speak response ("in light of the significant investment ... ", "flat-bed seats ...", etc from the SM desk when I emailed about this issue last week
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Really? I've heard of a few instances of JFK-LAX/SFO BE aircraft being swapped out for a lesser aircraft, but the actual meal service itself stayed the same (appetizers/sundaes) on the non-BE aircraft.

I would consider DL swapping meal service out from BE-lite standards to domestic standards on an advertised BE-style meal service route just because of the aircraft to be deceptive marketing.

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
That is not correct. If it is not operated by a 75E with 16F it will just be domestic first food, no Westin blanket or pillow and no Tumi amenity kit.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
Actually, this is not true. Flew SEA-JFK last week and we had the old F seating. We were given BE meals, Weston blankets and pillows, but no amenity kit. Seems like they are bipolar with this so far.

The cabin was only 70 percent filled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.